Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 10-15-2012, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I have some fabric that I have had to use as many as 9 layers of stabilizer behind it before it quit puckering. I had 2 layers of tear-away, then had the rest in wash away as I couldn't abide the thickness of having more stabilizers being there permanentlly. I think I may try using a wash away on top of the fabric in a test piece and see if that reduces the amount of total stabilizers needed, but I've never tried that before. This is in an embroidery piece with over 40,000 stitches. Have no idea if that contributes to the problem - if my hooping is off or what - but it was a piece of advice on a TV show where someone else said they had to use that many stabilizers that got me to try it.
The density (# of stitches) do have a big part of your problem. Do you have the capabilities in your software to reduce the density? I do that with all my designs, I check the density and also the underlying stitches that aren't needed. Especially on some fabrics like t-shirts.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:16 AM

[QUOTE=laura59;5587412]Try hooping the stabilizer only. Then spray the stabilizer lightly with some temporary spray like KK2000 or embroidery spray. Lay the satin on top of the stabilizer and smooth it out. I don't hoop anything except stabilizer. This seems to work better for me. Hth.[/QUOTE

That has only worked for me for designs with smaller amounts of stitches. Just saying- maybe it's my fabric. I think satin and silk are especially hard to keep from pucking.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
What kind of machine did you buy? I just traded my Viking Ruby in for a Diamond Deluxe. I've been in class for the past two days and haven't had time to even sew on it.

You should check out a product called Angelina; it looks alot like mylar. It is fiber though and not paper. You can mix them together and get different looks, colors. It's really cool.
romanojg,
I purchased the new Babylock Spirit, it is an embroidery only machine. I had the Ellure Plus which was a great machine however I didn't use the sewing function as much so I decided to get an embroidery only machine. This machine is new on the market and it comes with a 7x12 inch hoop. I'm waiting today for a phone call from the dealer to go pick it up this week!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:12 PM

[QUOTE=TanyaL;5587592]
Originally Posted by laura59 View Post
Try hooping the stabilizer only. Then spray the stabilizer lightly with some temporary spray like KK2000 or embroidery spray. Lay the satin on top of the stabilizer and smooth it out. I don't hoop anything except stabilizer. This seems to work better for me. Hth.[/QUOTE

That has only worked for me for designs with smaller amounts of stitches. Just saying- maybe it's my fabric. I think satin and silk are especially hard to keep from pucking.
emblibrary.com has directions on embroidering on these fabrics. Its under Kennys corner, I think. I did organza this weekend; two layers of that with texture magic in between with no stabilizer. It worked really nice and not puckering. We made 3D flowers
Old 10-15-2012, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
I have to confess: I am addicted to collecting free designs and sets. BUT this morning I spent some time going through the downloaded but unsorted folders to dump formats I don't use and looked at a lot of them and thought ... when on earth am I going to use this? So ... delete, delete, delete ... Anyone else do this?
I NEED to do this! LOL I think my laptop is slowing down because I have so much artwork (designs) on it!! I went a little nuts downloading freebies when I first got my machine. More selective now but, boy, do I like "Free"!!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms View Post
I NEED to do this! LOL I think my laptop is slowing down because I have so much artwork (designs) on it!! I went a little nuts downloading freebies when I first got my machine. More selective now but, boy, do I like "Free"!!
I got lots of freebies when i got my machine andI bought a lot of designs from guy in Russia- about 10,000. Now the designs are not what I like, all too simple, too few stitches, so when I see them I delete them. Many are duplicates also.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:02 PM

I have tried the 505 spray on stabilizer, then placing the satin on top, smoothing using a small "wallpaper" roller, then pinning satin to stabilizer, I have used both tearaway and cutaway stabilizer.
I have used solvy on top
So far my best result is sticky stabilizer and smoothing the satin on top.

I did email Kenny at Embroidery Library a while back and he did admit that satin is just going to pucker at little. Mine is puckering a lot!! LOL Of course, this was before EL had done the videos.

I think I'm going to do test strips and write down my experiments...maybe I need a refresher course. I think one of the problems is I'm embroidering sashes which are only a total of 5 inches wide so a strip isn't wide enough to "hoop on all sides". It almost seems as if it is a tension problem but I never adjust the tension.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:19 PM

Try embroidering your satin before you cut it for the sashes.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:28 PM

I am looking for a spiderweb design for doing quilting using my embroidery machine). Can someone point me in the right direction? I am looking for a design specifically designed for quilting, so it is kind of open...
Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by justflyingin View Post
I am looking for a spiderweb design for doing quilting using my embroidery machine). Can someone point me in the right direction? I am looking for a design specifically designed for quilting, so it is kind of open...
Sending you a PM