Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 10-14-2012, 05:35 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
But do you dump the ones you'll never use? Honestly, some of the free ones are, well ... you get what you pay for! Jump stitches everywhere!

Yes. I have over 3,000 designs and do a clean out every once in the while.
Old 10-14-2012, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns View Post
Thanks for any help you can offer. I have no way of taking the classes because my work schedule. I normally work 10 to 6 ..so it covers all class times. I have the 5D.. can we digitize a design with that one at all? Or do we need another program to do so?
The software that comes with the machines is the organizer. Even though its limited it is a great organizer. One of things that I love is that if you click on a design and then click on the pair of scissors at the top it'll add trim commands to designs that have lots of jump stitches that you'll have to trim off later on. You can't digitize as far as creating designs. I'm going to give you a website that offers so much. The guy has written books on the software and has lots of free tutorials and is even overing video classes for sale now. My Viking teacher says she loves his books and uses them herself even though she was trained by Viking. He has things for 4D and 5D; they are both pretty much the same. It's a good way to learn. I bought 5D Pro this past yr and I'm now taking classes for that along with my monthly embroidery club. I'll answer anything that I can. The website is mrpatience.com I hope this helps. If you need an answer right away then PM me and it'll let me know, instead of waiting for me to find this thread. Good luck. http://www.mrpatience.com/
Old 10-14-2012, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
But do you dump the ones you'll never use? Honestly, some of the free ones are, well ... you get what you pay for! Jump stitches everywhere!
If jump stitches are the only problem then no, I wouldn't delete. I have 5D and it allows me to put trim commands in those designs and gets rid of jumpstitches. My machine has the trim command feature so when it sees it, it'll tie off the ends which adds a couple of stitches but gets rid of alot of added hand work at the end. I've deleted designs that I say to myself, what was I thinking, I'll never use that and if a design has mulitple formats I leave them in the zip file and only save the one that I need to it's folder to be used. Zip files are compressed so they dont take up much room. I keep a copy of the orginal file in a orders folder with the companies name incase I ever have to download it again. Without the company name and orginal file name I may not be able to do this; especially if co has archived the file
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 AM

I use an external hard drive for all my designs and I put the unlucky one in a special folder (just in case) and I do not delete them.
I do delete the unused formats, just because. Sometime I have some designs that only come in one format so I convert them to a format I can use. Then I dump.
BTW, I use a Brother 6 needle which I love. Not so many thread changes (YEAH).
Old 10-14-2012, 11:24 AM

As I await patiently for my new embroidery machine I've spent the last few weeks finally organizing my files. I use a usb flash drive with folders. I'm not well versed with winzip and though i've bought a new computer can I download that for free? I have plenty of room on my flash drives but wow I don't know how many designs I have right now. I'm going through embroidery withdrawals and can't wait to get mine up and going! In the meantime I've been researching the mylar designs for embroidery and really love the effect it has. But I'm not able to find the paper, I've gone to Party City (they have no idea what even cellophane paper is duh!), dollar tree and I have looked at several online ones with good prices. But when I get my machine I will be having lots of fun!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
As I await patiently for my new embroidery machine I've spent the last few weeks finally organizing my files. I use a usb flash drive with folders. I'm not well versed with winzip and though i've bought a new computer can I download that for free? I have plenty of room on my flash drives but wow I don't know how many designs I have right now. I'm going through embroidery withdrawals and can't wait to get mine up and going! In the meantime I've been researching the mylar designs for embroidery and really love the effect it has. But I'm not able to find the paper, I've gone to Party City (they have no idea what even cellophane paper is duh!), dollar tree and I have looked at several online ones with good prices. But when I get my machine I will be having lots of fun!
What kind of machine did you buy? I just traded my Viking Ruby in for a Diamond Deluxe. I've been in class for the past two days and haven't had time to even sew on it.

You should check out a product called Angelina; it looks alot like mylar. It is fiber though and not paper. You can mix them together and get different looks, colors. It's really cool.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:52 AM

Help from Other Machine Embroiders

I have been searching for an answer/fix to this issue for a while! When embroidering on satin (really poly satin), no matter what stabilizer/needle I use, I still get puckers. I've tried every combination I know!! I have the articles on embroidering on different types of fabric that Embroidery Library has on their site and have followed their suggestions but still the problem.

Anyone here embroider on satin and if so, how do you do it? TIA

PS: I have a Brother PE700II embroidery machine which does an excellent job on most fabrics.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:24 AM

I have some fabric that I have had to use as many as 9 layers of stabilizer behind it before it quit puckering. I had 2 layers of tear-away, then had the rest in wash away as I couldn't abide the thickness of having more stabilizers being there permanentlly. I think I may try using a wash away on top of the fabric in a test piece and see if that reduces the amount of total stabilizers needed, but I've never tried that before. This is in an embroidery piece with over 40,000 stitches. Have no idea if that contributes to the problem - if my hooping is off or what - but it was a piece of advice on a TV show where someone else said they had to use that many stabilizers that got me to try it.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
I have some fabric that I have had to use as many as 9 layers of stabilizer behind it before it quit puckering. I had 2 layers of tear-away, then had the rest in wash away as I couldn't abide the thickness of having more stabilizers being there permanentlly. I think I may try using a wash away on top of the fabric in a test piece and see if that reduces the amount of total stabilizers needed, but I've never tried that before. This is in an embroidery piece with over 40,000 stitches. Have no idea if that contributes to the problem - if my hooping is off or what - but it was a piece of advice on a TV show where someone else said they had to use that many stabilizers that got me to try it.
Try hooping the stabilizer only. Then spray the stabilizer lightly with some temporary spray like KK2000 or embroidery spray. Lay the satin on top of the stabilizer and smooth it out. I don't hoop anything except stabilizer. This seems to work better for me. Hth.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 AM
Swap Hosts

Both excellent tips that I have used - light spray adhesive (but you'll want to wipe your needle with rubbing alcohol every now and then) and wash away on top. These two usually solve the problem.