Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 09-03-2012, 12:39 PM

Yesterday I took the plunge and bought a Singer Futura Quartet at Hancock Fabrics (it was on sale). So far I have stitched out two embroidery designs. One was the sample that came with it, the other was a cross-stitch design I had on my laptop.

My only peeve with this machine is that it does not have an automatic thread trimmer. I've also learned that to prevent false thread breakage errors I have to use the stretchy spool cover to keep the thread from coming unwound from the spool to quickly, causing looping.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Some machines can use any type like mine. I normally try to get the VP3 format because the colors will show up more accurately on my machine. This used to be really important before I got my 5D Pro and I can now tell it what brand of thread I want it to show as a default. I know that at least some Pfaff machines use VP3 but not sure if they use others as well; like my Viking uses hus, vip and vp3. If you look at these designs and scroll to the bottome you can see the formats and then just click on the format that goes with your machine. For this company (and many others) you have to create an account and then the files will be put in your cart and you'll check out. They then send you an email for you to download the designs to your pc. Do a save as and then chose a folder to put them in. There are many ways to do this. I'm assuming that you got an organizer type software with your machine. What I do is I have a folder called orders, then in it I create folders for each company that I download from; like this co would be orders_JuliasNeedles and I save it to that folder. I leave the zip file in that folder but save the design out under the organizer into a folder for that design, like if it's for kitchen or for holidays and then I'd have folders under holidays for each holiday. I create a name that will let me know what it is but then add to that the company and orginal name of design. The reason I do it this way is that most companies will allow you to download the designs as many times as needed but sometimes the designs may be archived and unless you know the company and orginal file name you won't be able to get it. I've also recently noticed that some companies will only have it available for download a couple of times and then delete it from you cart but if you let them know the file names they will put it back in your cart for downloading. OregonPatch does this; its a great website because it sponsors tons of sites on it. For them even though my order goes thru Oregon Patch I make sure to get the name of the co that I ordered from. My teacher has given me tips for organizing files but also says that after over 6yrs of doing it she's still fine tuning how she does it; alot by trial and error.

Thanks so much for the detailed information. I found out what my machines format is so thats a big start. I also checked out Julia's Needle and I love so many designs. Think I may be in trouble. I am going to try a few out and see how I do. Thanks again!!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Just select the format you use with your particular machine.

Thanks Krystyna! I found my format and now I can go shopping for some great designs. Haven't had a chance to check out Secrets of Embroidery but I will soon.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by quiltnut4ever View Post
I'm going to look at that thumbnailer as well. I have all of my designs on my flash drive (2 of them) and have no idea how to organize them in to seperate categories ie., flowers...On another note here are the roosters that I had stitched out on kitchen towels. I found these towels at the Old Time Pottery store here and they were two for 3.00! Not bad considering that its already got a border and crochet. I hope I can get these photos posted! Designs came from emblibrary.com
Your towels are adorable.

Just curious, did you wash them first?
Old 09-04-2012, 10:53 AM

Where do you get the Thumbnailer program?
Old 09-04-2012, 01:05 PM

Default New 301

Look what I had in the mail today. My newly purchased 301. Runs like a dream. Has a bit of a musty smell, but is very clean. Fits in the table perfectly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]360229[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails p9040127.jpg   p9040127.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 01:42 PM

I'm still confused! First, will Thumbnailer all me to see what the emboidery files are on a CD. I have a Embroidery CD for Brother PES. Brother says that it is not their CD, but that is what it says on the CD itself. It is copyrighted. If I get the Thumbnailer program, will that allow me to see the files or is it just a way to organize? I'd really like to get the deal at Tucker's today!
Old 09-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by almond View Post
Look what I had in the mail today. My newly purchased 301. Runs like a dream. Has a bit of a musty smell, but is very clean. Fits in the table perfectly.
Very nice! Enjoy!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by almond View Post
Whoops!! Sorry I posted the pictures on the wrong thread. Guess the excitement of the new machine kept me from reading right! Or maybe it was a senior moment!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Casi View Post
I'm still confused! First, will Thumbnailer all me to see what the emboidery files are on a CD. I have a Embroidery CD for Brother PES. Brother says that it is not their CD, but that is what it says on the CD itself. It is copyrighted. If I get the Thumbnailer program, will that allow me to see the files or is it just a way to organize? I'd really like to get the deal at Tucker's today!
Casi! Go to this site and look what it does... http://embrilliance.com/products/embril ... humbnailer Yes, it will show you the images of the designs on your CD. You must 'open' the CD, if the images do not display, then select and ';copy' them to your Documents folder---or desktop. Then go to your Docs, or desktop. etc and you will see the design images right in front of your eyeballs!!! Browse the site I've pasted--see the demos. PM me if I have not made myself clear. At any rate, you have to get the designs from the CD to your machine---and they have to go thru the computer, right? I usually just copy the designs, save in a folder on my computer (you still have them backed up on the CD), and from that point you can choose from the folder what you want to embroider. It IS NOT a program to organize--just lets you see what you have to choose from. If you want a free program http://redmugs.com/html/viewer/download/index.php will show you images, but you have to open the program each time. The thumbnailer is always on. I open my Documents page and there are pictures of all my designs that are not in folders or zipped. I open a folder and see the images inside. Cannot see zipped unless you unzip first.