Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 05-04-2012, 06:55 PM

I am not sure what format your Bernina 170 uses. I know ART is one format... Have you checked out Embird?? I use it on both my Husqvarna Viking Designer 1 as well as my BAbylock Ellisimo. I have used it for years and like it so much more than my HV software and it is VERY affordable compared to other software programs.
http://www.embird.net/

Originally Posted by QuilterMomma View Post
So question for you ladies. Does Bernina allow you to use another software to download designs into the machine? I accidently ended up with a 170 but no software to work with it and the new program, well bit pricey, and I noticed you ladies had discussed editor software, so is there some out there?
Old 05-04-2012, 07:00 PM

Krystyna, instead of the Sewer's Aid, you might try putting them in a plastic bag and then into the freezer overnight. I haven't tried this, but others have said it works to keep threads from breaking. Don't know why!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 PM

Do any of you embroidery your greeting cards and what do you embroidery on? I use a medium tear away and an iron on stabliizer and embriodery on the tear away then cut it to size for the blank card. What do you use?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:03 AM

"Great news! Finally, after 6 months of working on my laptop, it finally communicates with my Bernina 165 and i did not have to buy the new version or upgrade of software. i am so thrilled. Took quite a bit to do and lots of frustration because I know little about computers. I am so ecstatic because I get to take my sweet little laptop with me tomorrow to sewing with friend. "
Quiltmama....I can so understand, very happy for you!!!!!!
Old 05-05-2012, 05:07 AM

Someone had asked using the EM for quilting.
Here is just one I found:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypd46o9l3Ow

just do a search on the internet and you will get tons of information.
Hope that helps.
p.s. I have learned so much by subscribing to this thread. I even pulled out my EM after reading some encouraging words from you gals-Huge Thank-you.

Last edited by craftiladi; 05-05-2012 at 05:09 AM. Reason: wrong quote used
Old 05-05-2012, 05:26 PM

I am loving this, about an hour or so ago, I signed in on the Board to read about quilting. I just got my new Singer Futura Quartet SEQS600 a couple weeks ago and been trying to learn. I was thrilled to see an embroidery thread going. Sure wish it was a separate section, like receipes, photos, etc. It would be so much easier to read. I have not read anything on the quilt section since I saw this. I have now subscribed to it and hope to visit it more often. I see there are many like me that are newbies even though machines were purchsed earlier.

I bought my machine from HSN as it had the best deal with the software included and I liked the fact that it can use many formats if needed. I have other machines for quilting and garment sewing so this one will be strictly for the embroidery only. I did buy the 5 hr tutorial CD from HSN, it said it was for the earlier Futuras but I am finding the basic software programs are very similar and it has helped me tremendously.

I hope the moderators will reconsider and give us a separate section. Or maybe someone who is computer smart with the internet could start a forum just for the Machine Embroidery... we could discuss quilting on it too... I am one also. LOL
Old 05-05-2012, 06:50 PM

This is fabulous having this thread here on the Quilting board!! I think there are a lot of us who have embroidery machines but love to quilt also and combine the two!! Hopefully, more and more people will join us here as they see we are posting more and more and making it to the daily digest!! Sooo,... let's keep chatting!!
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM

Putting embroidery thread in the freezer is a great idea! I had forgotten about that one!! I think it works because it puts a bit of moisture into the thread making it not quite so brittle.
Also know that slowing your machine to the slowest speed, using a metallic needle and a design that is not too dense all help to have a successful outcome in regards to thread breakage.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Ruby the Quilter View Post
Do any of you embroidery your greeting cards and what do you embroidery on? I use a medium tear away and an iron on stabliizer and embriodery on the tear away then cut it to size for the blank card. What do you use?
I did a little this past Christmas. I took a class and got a program with it. We used card stock and envelopes. I can't remember everything that I did; that was a few months back so I'd have to check to let you know for sure but I know tear away was used and steam a seam lite. You can find info on it at emblibrary.com under projects; they have a few different techniques including making your own cards and envelopes.
Old 05-06-2012, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom View Post
Putting embroidery thread in the freezer is a great idea! I had forgotten about that one!! I think it works because it puts a bit of moisture into the thread making it not quite so brittle.
Also know that slowing your machine to the slowest speed, using a metallic needle and a design that is not too dense all help to have a successful outcome in regards to thread breakage.
I had some really old thread and thought that was the problem and tried this when I heard of it too. Maybe it works but it didn't for me; I left it in there for months. I changed to a sharp needle and then changed the size from 11 to 14; that did the trick; no more broken thread. I'm not saying it doesn't work but who knows if that's the problem or if it needs a different needle. I bought the same type of thread and still had the same problem so figured it wasn't the age of the thread and was bound to figure out a solution since I wanted to use the thread. I was successful.