Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 09-02-2012, 05:21 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by Beeboop71 View Post
Krystyna, this might be a dumb question but I am learning. So can theses designs be used with ANY embroidery machine??
Just select the format you use with your particular machine.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:36 AM

Hi fellow embroiderers,
Has anyone used any of the Anita Goodesign Mix and Match Quilting Patterns. Which one did you try? How do you attach the batting and backing to the quilt?
Old 09-02-2012, 05:39 AM

Krystyna, this might be a dumb question but I am learning. So can theses designs be used with ANY embroidery machine??
Some machines can use any type like mine. I normally try to get the VP3 format because the colors will show up more accurately on my machine. This used to be really important before I got my 5D Pro and I can now tell it what brand of thread I want it to show as a default. I know that at least some Pfaff machines use VP3 but not sure if they use others as well; like my Viking uses hus, vip and vp3. If you look at these designs and scroll to the bottome you can see the formats and then just click on the format that goes with your machine. For this company (and many others) you have to create an account and then the files will be put in your cart and you'll check out. They then send you an email for you to download the designs to your pc. Do a save as and then chose a folder to put them in. There are many ways to do this. I'm assuming that you got an organizer type software with your machine. What I do is I have a folder called orders, then in it I create folders for each company that I download from; like this co would be orders_JuliasNeedles and I save it to that folder. I leave the zip file in that folder but save the design out under the organizer into a folder for that design, like if it's for kitchen or for holidays and then I'd have folders under holidays for each holiday. I create a name that will let me know what it is but then add to that the company and orginal name of design. The reason I do it this way is that most companies will allow you to download the designs as many times as needed but sometimes the designs may be archived and unless you know the company and orginal file name you won't be able to get it. I've also recently noticed that some companies will only have it available for download a couple of times and then delete it from you cart but if you let them know the file names they will put it back in your cart for downloading. OregonPatch does this; its a great website because it sponsors tons of sites on it. For them even though my order goes thru Oregon Patch I make sure to get the name of the co that I ordered from. My teacher has given me tips for organizing files but also says that after over 6yrs of doing it she's still fine tuning how she does it; alot by trial and error.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by mardilee View Post
Hi fellow embroiderers,
Has anyone used any of the Anita Goodesign Mix and Match Quilting Patterns. Which one did you try? How do you attach the batting and backing to the quilt?
I'm taking a class in Oct for her designs. I use spray to attach the batting and the backing to all of my quilts or tablerunners. It's so much easier than pins. I just tried Sullivans spray adhesive but it has such a strong oder to it. I've used June Tailor from Walmarts and got really good results with it and I've used 505; both of these don't have the strong oder that Sullivans has. But it seems to hold well.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:30 AM

When you click on the download, there will be a choice of different ones, such as PES, DST, HUS, etc. Pick the one that your machine uses. If you don't know yours, search for your machine on line and it will tell you. I have a Brother PE770 and it uses PES.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:33 AM

Here is a site where you can get an organizer for free..it's a zip with many already named folders inside. The little white block download on the right. Open the zip, the folder inside, and see all the categories. I return all to the folder & delete the zip..then ea time I just open, find the folder I want to save to, and VOILA--designs are organized. You can rename the folders if you like. Go here http://www.spoolsstash.com/
Mermaid, is zip hard to use? Do you have to have a certain program on your PC Seems like I had trouble with zip in the past.
Old 09-03-2012, 05:35 AM
Swap Hosts

Sale alert! Secrets of Embroidery has a $1 set hunt going on. Lots of very nice designs.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:37 AM

Default for Casi's question

Originally Posted by Casi View Post
Mermaid, is zip hard to use? Do you have to have a certain program on your PC Seems like I had trouble with zip in the past.
Sent you a pm..sorry I didn't just say "zipped folder". It is very easy to use. After opening the downloaded zipped folder, just move your designs into the appropriate sub-folder. You can rename the folders to accommodate the designs you have.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:52 AM

Thanks Mermaid, I got your PM. I will check this all out. I downloaded a very large complex program last night and your suggestion might be more what I need right now.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Krystyna View Post
Sale alert! Secrets of Embroidery has a $1 set hunt going on. Lots of very nice designs.
Julias needles has a great sale going on 80% off. I got around 80 worth of designs for $14. When I was adding things to the cart every so many design sets were free, so I got lots of really cute ones. I also ordered the CD from Watts; it's $20 for all the designs they have on their site. Sounds like a winner to me.