Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 04-10-2013, 05:10 AM

I am new to machine embroidery and love it! But, learning how to do machine embroidery has been a bit overwhelming for me. I have been experimenting with different stabilizers and I still get some puckering. I've read a few places, that you get more puckering with poly thread than rayon thread. Is this true? I'm using madeira poly thread and have had no breakages but am wondering if I should switch to rayon?
Old 04-10-2013, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Auntevie View Post
I am new to machine embroidery and love it! But, learning how to do machine embroidery has been a bit overwhelming for me. I have been experimenting with different stabilizers and I still get some puckering. I've read a few places, that you get more puckering with poly thread than rayon thread. Is this true? I'm using madeira poly thread and have had no breakages but am wondering if I should switch to rayon?
How many stitches are in your design. I find that if I use a layer of stablizer for every 10,000 stitches I have less puckering. I do use the Madeira Rayon thread.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:47 AM

I found this article helpful.
http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/elproje...log=elprojects
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 AM

Snipforfun...Thank you for the link to the article! Ive read it before and it was really helpful but was good to read again. Sophie2...do you use rayon thread instead of poly for a reason? Do you think its better or causes less puckering?
Old 04-10-2013, 10:24 AM

Snipforfun...Thank you for the link to the article! Ive read it before and it was really helpful but was good to read again. Sophie2...do you use rayon thread instead of poly for a reason? Do you think its better or causes less puckering?

Auntevie, I have never tried the poly but have never had any problems with the rayon, so I guess that is why I have stuck with the rayon. Gee, maybe if I tried something else I would like it too. LOL.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Banned

I have had AWESOME luck with Floriani poly thread of course that is about
the only thread I really use.

I do have some (limited spools and colors) of rayon but seldom use it.
Old 04-10-2013, 02:18 PM

I love Floriani poly thread. It has the shine of rayon but it doesn't fade. I think stablizer is the hardest part of embroidery. There is so many kinds and brands and what to use on what fabric.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:10 PM

I concur with Quilty-Louise, I love the Floriani poly thread. Did a lace angel and it came out beautiful! Though the thread is pricey I wouldn't mind buying it. My local lqs store does carry them and I even got an email that they come in 60 color packs but don't know the price. Quilty-Louise where do you purchase your Floriani threads? at a local lqs or online? AND How's the sewing room coming along (I know its two different threads but haven't had time to locate them).

I do agree that choosing a stabilizer is a bit tricky but with time once you know the fabric type you are using it may not be as difficult.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:18 PM

I bought over 100 spools of poly thread when I first got my machine at Christmas! So, I was hoping my puckering isnt being caused from the poly. I have so much more to learn and I think stabilizers are tricky. I need to keep experimenting!
Old 04-10-2013, 11:08 PM
Gay

There are several reasons for puckering. 1st is the density of many designs- some just have too many stitches. It may help if you can enlarge the design a little on the machine, without increasing the number of stitches. 2nd is that with the straight-sided hoops, just a small amount of slippage of the fabric allows more to pucker. This doesn't happen with round hoops used in hand embroidery. Sometimes I pin fabric to the backing- not where the needle or foot has to go- at the top bottom and sides, especially with the large hoops. I also use starch on my fabrics, not the bought spray on kind, I mix my own and spray on. Doesn't have to be as stiff as cardboard though. I do this with patchwork as well as I find it easier to cut and sew the fabric. Lastly, these days I mostly use a wash-away adhesive backing, and sometimes A4 copy paper- tho thats a no-no to some, it eventually washes away too. You can also try using a slightly looser thread tension.
Hope this helps

Cheers....