Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 05-30-2013, 05:28 PM

I just got a Janome 350E..total embroidery newbie here I was wondering if there are Janome embroidery classes
online? We are moving across the country in June so I will not have physical access to my Janome dealer anymore...
Old 05-31-2013, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon A View Post
Another good thing about Embroidery library is that they store your patterns you buy. I buy a lot from them also from oregonpatchworks but oregonpatchworks does not store them so if my computer gives out I would lose those patterns so I put them on drives to make sure I never lose them. They both have great specials.
If you know the orginal file name and the company you got the design for you can normally get another copy of the design;even when they've been archived. For this reason, I keep note on this. I have a folder called orders, that is in my organizer, then I have subfolders under that. I name them according to company, like orders_Viking and then I download the orginal design into that folder and then open the zipped folder (just double click it) and save it under a category like beach then again I have a folder with companies name and put all of its designs there. I was orginally taught to rename each design with co name and that can make for a long file name. The only time I make sub folders under the company folder here is when I have a collection that I want to stay together. Singles just go into the main folder. This way, the orginal file remains in the zipped file, which I do backup to CD, plus I have the file saved under a folder to show what it is for. You only need to backup the orders files because that is the orginal design. For oregonpatchworks, which I too love, my orders folder had the company name of orders_oregonpatch and then subfolders with each company that I got the design at; like Oma's, love that place, lots of ITH and they stitch out great. Its not that hard of a process if you keep it up. My worst part is that I'll be at work and download a design to desktop and save it to USB but don't always put it onto laptop right away so then its playing catchup. I'm doing that now. I have a 17in laptop that I'm getting all the files done plus I have netbook that I carry sometimes due to my back. Once the laptop is done then I'll just save those files and resave them onto the netbook and it'll be caught up. My software allows me to make jpgs of each design and save it into the pictures folder and when I get that done, I'll print out thumbnails of each design and put them into a book so that I can just scan the book to find a design. The file name is attached to each picture so it'll be easy to find. Another reason why instead of renaming files to what they are, I just put them into folders to show what they are. If I see a design in my photo album then I just take that file name and do a search. I hate playing hide n seek with anything so this works for me because its easy to find.

Now I do like the fact with emblibrary keeps all of your orders in your history. This saves them time and me too.I don't have to email them with a request to redownload a file and wait for them to email me back and tell me it's ready to download again. Every company that I have dealt with has always made my designs available to me if I needed to redownload them a second time. This has only happened a few times since I keep my orders folder backed up. It's normally when I have saved a design to the USB and either never saved it to the orders folder or when I've saved it as the wrong file format or the design didn't want to open and I had to redownload it. I hope this helps someone, anyone. Julia's Needles is another one that has great sales and freebees and if you sign up for their emails they'll let you know when the sales are happening.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by germanquilter View Post
I just got a Janome 350E..total embroidery newbie here I was wondering if there are Janome embroidery classes
online? We are moving across the country in June so I will not have physical access to my Janome dealer anymore...
I don't know about online but you don't have to go to a Janome to get embroidery classes. My Viking dealer lets anyone join in on the classes and we also have a Sew n Vac and they do the same way so you might check with LQS there to see if they'll do the same thing. Good luck with your move.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 PM
Swap Hosts

Just catching up on posts. Wow. You've been busy! Don't forget that http://www.embroiderylibrary.com has the new free June designs up and today is the last day for the May designs!

Another one of my favorites for collecting designs is http://www.cuteapplique.com - new one every day and an additional gift each week.

Hubby and I went to the Floriani class today. Wow! That lady was some amazing sales person. Got sucked in to buying a stabilizer set. But it's something I will use. We came away with double sets of the embroidery designs they included -- and being such a design hoarder, I can't see needing any of them so will probably sell them on Etsy to recoup part of the class cost!
Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 PM

So, I ordered a Brother 780D onine that is on its way to me, should be here Tuesday! I hope it doesn't need to be serviced when it arrives.

But now I have some questions. Can I ge embroidery designs from any online design place, or just certain ones? Also, do my designs need to be in a certain file format for me to be able to use them? If so how do I know if a file comes in my needed format? I feel so unprepared! I think I may need to look into taking a class locally if I can get one.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 PM
Swap Hosts

You can get them from anywhere. Just order -- or download - PES format. And if you find some freebies you love, but they're in another format, download the free Wilcom Trusizer
Old 05-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Has anyone made a quilt with embroidered blocks from muslin? I use muslin for backing and just love the texture, the feel, and simplicity of it.

Another question...what fabric would you use for making an embroidered door hanging?
Old 06-01-2013, 05:43 AM

Default embroidery needle information

I just found this site that has lots of information about all the different needles. The link is just for the embroidery needles, but on the page there are all kinds listed and you just click on the picture to go to the different type of needle.

http://www.klasse.com/en/range.php?ID=40
Old 06-01-2013, 06:07 AM
Swap Hosts

Thanks so much for the list. At the Floriani class yesterday the woman was talking about embroidering on boots! I asked about the type of needle and she said she uses top stitch for almost everything.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by EllieGirl View Post
Has anyone made a quilt with embroidered blocks from muslin? I use muslin for backing and just love the texture, the feel, and simplicity of it.

Another question...what fabric would you use for making an embroidered door hanging?
Yes, I completed and have 4 others started. Some are done with cutwork and others are done with embrodery while others have fancy stitching. I used Southern Bell muslin. Great quality and less than $5 a yrd. I had bought some from Walmarts on the bolt and it was such a let down but since it was so cheap, its my practice fabric. Muslin lets your designs. The first one in class we used thread to match the fabric. The ones that I have started I used mostly varigated thread and it really lets the design stand out against the muslin background.

For a door hanging you might want something a little more durable if its going to be outside. Maybe broadcloth or something sturdy like that. Some upolestry fabric might work as well. I want to make a flag so I'm checking that out because I don't want it to end up fading or mildewing.

Last edited by romanojg; 06-01-2013 at 06:40 AM.