Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Machine Embroidery
Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun >

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Embroidery Machines Lets Chat & Have Fun

Old 12-04-2017, 11:08 AM
Banned

I was told by a computer guru that a lot of the time when an external hard drive goes bad it's not the drive itself that's bad. If you take the drive out of its box and install it in a transfer box usually you can save everything. When my old XP computer died I had a different problem though. I put the hard drive in a transfer box and when I tried to move everything to the new computer it wouldn't let me access my files. It straight up told me I didn't have permission to access the files on the old drive. I had to have a guru get into the old drive for me.

Cari
Old 12-04-2017, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I was told by a computer guru that a lot of the time when an external hard drive goes bad it's not the drive itself that's bad. If you take the drive out of its box and install it in a transfer box usually you can save everything. When my old XP computer died I had a different problem though. I put the hard drive in a transfer box and when I tried to move everything to the new computer it wouldn't let me access my files. It straight up told me I didn't have permission to access the files on the old drive. I had to have a guru get into the old drive for me.

Cari
What is a transfer box? New one on me!
Old 12-04-2017, 09:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
What is a transfer box? New one on me!
I had never heard of one either. When I took my old computer in to be fixed, they told me it was dead but they could save all my files, pics, etc with a transfer box. It's a small box they put the hard drive into and you connect it to another computer or an external drive. It allows you to transfer everything to whatever you connect it to. It only cost about $20 so a small price to pay for saving all my stuff.
BTW, I remembered a little more about an external hard drive failing. Usually it's the power supply that fails, not the drive itself.

Cari
Old 12-18-2017, 07:52 AM

Suggestions for needle sizes? I have a combo sewing/embroidery machine and just wonder what size needles everyone is using for what? Do you change out to an embroidery needle (Schmetz has them) when you go from piecing/sewing to embroidery? Or do you just use a regular sewing machine needle when you embroider and piece? I have so many different needles from over the years, and I am getting confused. When I went to buy new ones at JA, they had machine needles for Quilting that indicated "sharp", microtex sharp needles, embroidery needles, and regular needles - all for the sewing machines. I must be getting too old to figure this out. Any suggestions appreciated.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:56 AM
DJ

Rennie ~ I don't have a combo machine, but my thought is that whether or not to change out the needle might depend on the thread you're using and how it's feeding through the needle you're using. I use a lot of Sewer's Aid for machine embroidery.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:07 AM
DJ

Just wanted to share some recent gifts I've made using my embroidery machine. The fox clip holder and clips are Christmas gifts for my DGD. I'll send her the snowflakes in January and the cupcakes for her birthday in February. I plan to send her different ones every month in 2018.

All the designs are from GG Designs.
Attached Thumbnails img_4836.jpg   img_4849.jpg  
Old 12-18-2017, 10:46 AM

DJ these gifts are adorable!!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rennie View Post
Suggestions for needle sizes? I have a combo sewing/embroidery machine and just wonder what size needles everyone is using for what? Do you change out to an embroidery needle (Schmetz has them) when you go from piecing/sewing to embroidery? Or do you just use a regular sewing machine needle when you embroider and piece? I have so many different needles from over the years, and I am getting confused. When I went to buy new ones at JA, they had machine needles for Quilting that indicated "sharp", microtex sharp needles, embroidery needles, and regular needles - all for the sewing machines. I must be getting too old to figure this out. Any suggestions appreciated.
I don't buy Shmetz needles, too expensive. I buy Organ needles in bulk, and use the same needles for embroidery and regular sewing. The same basic rule applies for sewing or embroidery - sharp needle for wovens, ball point for knits. I use a size 11 for most sewing/embroidery, a larger needle for heavier sewing, a size 14 for most quilting and a smaller size 9 needle for embroidering with finer 60wt thread.

Cari
Old 12-19-2017, 04:40 AM

Rennie, if you would like a better understanding of those different needles you might like to check out this https://masteryourmachine.wordpress....a-needle-guru/
Old 12-19-2017, 10:09 AM

I have checked this post several times and it seems as tho it isn't active. I have Viking machines, started with a D1, then a SE for a hot minute when the Diamond came out so I traded up! Then I found a great deal on a DDR (Designer Diamond Royale) and sold the DIamond. I recently acquired another D1, so I use it mostly for sewing. I love my Vikings, and find having several machines from the same manufacturer helps with trading feett and accessories, as well as just knowing what the buttons do! lol I don't have a dealer anywhere close, and that isn't great, but I don't have a lot of repair issues either! I have been making Christmas gifts, so I don't want to post pics because my friends lurk! lol, but after the holidays I can post.