Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Age" Related Slump >

"Age" Related Slump

"Age" Related Slump

Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Being only 56, I cannot relate. However, my math professor is 75 and does not act or look over 65. Physically and mentally she is unbelieveable.
Keep busy, keep active, learn something new everyday, make new friends and keep the old. Make someone smile, give away three hugs a day, brighten someone elses day.
If you don't start new projects, think of all the things you will miss sitting around waiting to die. What a waste.
My best to you.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 PM

I'm 70. I have a slump now and then.
No problem. Back to it after awhile.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:30 PM

My favorite saying has always been, "Someday I'm going to..." My DH recently said, "Honey, you'd better get busy; you're running out of somedays." I am 73 and have enough ufo-s to last my lifetime, yet can't seem to resist the new projects, but I've resisted. I've set my goal to work from the cupboard. I have wanted to buy a new machine with the extended bed that does embroidery, but have put that off until I finish the projects that I have. Enjoy every day working on something that brings you pleasure. Fortunately, we don't know when our last day to create will arrive. Busy, busy, busy while we can.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:33 PM
kbs

I'll be 71 this summer (how can that Be!) and I have quilts in all steps of being finished and a stack of want to do's. Slowed down a little this spring to get the garden in and power wash the house but still sew several times a week. Go for it, 70 is the new 50.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:35 PM

I am 69 and I have written up a quilting will to go to the friends around here. They will have a plethora of fabric to go through and until then, I am going to enjoy the fabric, what quilting I am able to do, and do the best I can. Three years ago I was given only 3 days and here I am plugging around still. Think what I would have missed if I had given up. By the way, I constantly get teased about all the fabric and gadgets I buy. I am bi-polar but that is really just an excuse to buy. LOL
Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM

Marcy, I am going to be 73 years old on June 9th. I understand completely what you are going through. I have thousands of dollars wrapped up in machines, notions and fabric in my sewing room. I have so many quilts I want to do and I know there will not be enough time or energy to do all of them. Recently I've been finishing up UFO's. It feels so good to finish them. Next I will work on the most important of my projects first. I'm not going to give up until I have to. I'm also giving lessons this summer to my four granddaughters and a niece. It's such fun to share what I've learned with those I love. Hang in there. Quilting is such a rewarding experience.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:46 PM

People age very differently. I'm 67 and I suppose I'm about average but I still enjoy quilting, gardening, making things. My Mom is 88 and still quilts although her eyes are failing and her stitches are not as straight as they used to be. She did quit buying fabric about a year ago but still delights in little "gifts". I think there's a danger of letting go of things before we have to. As long as you have reasonable health and the ability to do a thing, by all means, do it.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Dear "older friends",
I am 74 years old and have been interested in buying an embroidery capable sewing machine but then I thought...at my age!!! and then I put my head on straight and thought about all the time I might be wasting if I live to be 93 like my mother and grandmother. Sooo, or should I say sew, I bought that embroidery machine thanks to my DH who is making me the world's best sewing studio (IMHO) and who said yes to spending the money on the machine. My goal is to sew a quilt for each of my yet to be born greatgrand children. How many will I need? Who knows but when God calls me there will always be someone to pick up where I left off. Recently, someone gave me her mother's fabrics and there were many hand pieced blocks just waiting for some love. When that studio is done, I will love the blocks and see to it that they join their friends and give them a new outlook on life.
Get busy; get sewing or whatever gives you pleasure!
Love and hugs from another "old" lady.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:18 PM

I am 73 years young. Remember, AGE DOESN'T MATTER UNLESS YOU ARE A CHEESE!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by LoriEl
What if you live until you're 90 or more? That is almost 20 years!! Live for today and enjoy your quilting!
Exactly. How many beautiful quilts can you make in 20 years? Enough to leave beautiful memories with those you love.