Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry! >

"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

Old 03-14-2011, 08:00 AM

I'd copy it at home then ask if she'd be interested in purchasing your pattern for half what you paid.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

Yes, I would this if I was uncomfortable with sharing it and when she asks when you are coming in the use the light table then tell her you already copied the pattern at home. If she then keeps asking you for the pattern tell her you are not comfortable with sharing it because of copy right laws. Is part of the reason too because she did not offer to buy the pattern with you or offer to pay half the cost of the pattern? Also are you sure she wants to copy the pattern or is she wanting to help you like some one mentioned. I think the key is how you feel about it and how you interpet copy right laws. I took how you described it that she just wanted to copy the pattern for herself.

Originally Posted by hobo2000
The fact that you are using the light table at her workplace puts you in untenable situation. Stay home and copy it on a window facing the sun.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:03 AM

If you wanted to "gift" the pattern to her after you have completed your project. That would be legal....or sell it to her as another member mentioned...used books and patterns and even software get sold on line everyday....just a thought.
D in TX
Old 03-14-2011, 08:06 AM

If you have a problem with sharing perhaps she would share the cost wth you or she could buy the next pattern. my quilt friends and I share all the time and never have an issue with who bought it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:15 AM

I could not refuse a good friend the use of a pattern I had bought. Friends are friends and I want them to have the best. One reason I wouldn't feel bad about the use of a pattern is, I could sell that pattern after I was through with it and it not be a problem. If I truly had a problem in giving my friend the use of the pattern I woulod at least tell her I would gift it to her and we both should feel good.

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
This topic has come up a few times, friends who want/assume they can use patterns that they know you have and the controversy with regard to the designer's rights to the pattern, not to mention the markup the retailer would have received, and the printer (etc).

So I have to ask. What is the difference between someone "sharing" a pattern and someone selling a used pattern here on QB? The only difference is that the original purchaser gets a few $$ but not anyone else in the loop.

Just curious - not judgemental. I've bought used books here and I guess now I'm questioning it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:19 AM

Just avoid the whole thing by copy the pattern yourself at home.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:20 AM

This was discussed last week ad nauseum. read these comments. They all agree.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-101553-1.htm
Old 03-14-2011, 08:50 AM

I
Old 03-14-2011, 08:54 AM

I approve of sharing patterns, but when you paid $12.00 for it. No way, especially one you bought that is a designer pattern. Let her buy her own.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:15 AM

Sounds like alot of miscommunication to me. Your friend works at a QS and offerred you the use of a expensive lightable. She also offerred to help trace the pattern with you. Why did you accept her offeer of the table?