Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry! >

"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

"Sharing patterns" - i'm in a quandry!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dandish
Wow, I'm guess I'm the odd jerk...I'd let her use it. Of course I'd never do anything like make copies and sell them or distribute/make public (as on the internet), but sharing with a friend? You betcha.
Same....
Old 03-13-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
This topic has come up a few times, friends who want/assume they can use patterns that they know you have and the controversy with regard to the designer's rights to the pattern, not to mention the markup the retailer would have received, and the printer (etc).

So I have to ask. What is the difference between someone "sharing" a pattern and someone selling a used pattern here on QB? The only difference is that the original purchaser gets a few $$ but not anyone else in the loop.

Just curious - not judgemental. I've bought used books here and I guess now I'm questioning it.
Used books get sold all the time, especially by "friends of the library" groups. I'm sure authors and publishers expect this.
At what point does a pattern become "used"? Some of the patterns I have obtained second-hand have never been used. Does this make me a copyright violator? I agree that this denies profit to the designer and publisher, but patterns are not generally returnable even when still stocked. Doesn't the original purchaser have the right to recoup part of her investment?
Old 03-13-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by rb.
I don't get what the difference is between my quilt guild's lending library, and sharing a pattern with a friend.
I don't think I see a difference in that either. In both situations more than the original owner would be using the pattern.

Gotta say - I've copied patterns from books I've borrowed from the public library. Now many times those books are out of print and even if I wanted the whole book I can't find it or it's just too costly. No way can I borrow the book and make the pattern in the book in the 3 weeks I'm allowed to have the book check out. So yeah, I make copies.

Gotta say to if I had a friend that maybe wanted a copy of A pattern, I'd probably not care but if I had a friend wanting all my patterns or constantly wanting to borrow then it'd be a problem.
Old 03-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
The fact that you are using the light table at her workplace puts you in untenable situation. Stay home and copy it on a window facing the sun.
That's good advice :)
Old 03-14-2011, 02:56 AM

I guess I am a baddddd girl, but once I buy it I do what I want with it! If I chose to share it, so be it. I can lend books, of any kind can't I? Tell the local library not to "share".
Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 AM

I guess that I would probably lend my book/ pattern; ect. I bought, paid for it, own it, should be able to share, sell, give away and /or trash that item. But I AM NOT YOU.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:41 AM
farscapegal

I would have bought her a pattern when I bought mine if she said she liked it too.

Sybil

Old 03-14-2011, 04:11 AM

One of the reasons I stick to the old patterns and the satisfaction of historical research is this very question. People shared quilt patterns. Its why we have such a rich and varied history of the craft. Many of the 'designer' patterns being offered are copies from history, simply renamed. I freely share my knowledge and expertise, whenever and with whomever.

If I were to join this modern club of classes and designer patterns, I'd be the first to insist on the copyright laws.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:14 AM
Vat

If you feel she shouldn't trace the pattern for herself, tape the pattern to one of your windows and don't trace yours at the shop where she works. Would she loan you hers or allow you to trace one of hers.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:39 AM

So I have to ask. What is the difference between someone "sharing" a pattern and someone selling a used pattern here on QB? The only difference is that the original purchaser gets a few $$ but not anyone else in the loop.

this crossed my mind too as I quite often buy used patterns, the pattern maker is getting nothing. I pick up patterns that my guild members put on the "FREE" table all the time. Once you made something it kinda becomes useless to me...JMHO