Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The "worthy," why are we so hard on them? >

The "worthy," why are we so hard on them?

The "worthy," why are we so hard on them?

Old 12-28-2010, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by jemma
recieving is more of a challange to character than giving ---when someone reaches out to you with a gift accept the love first then the gift should realy not matter---thank you is very easy to say-- i got a pet rock for xmas the love + the pride shining from my gransons eyes is making me tear up as i write this --what a special gift i got
Amen.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:06 AM

I know my family well enough not to make quilts unless they pick out the pattern and fabric. My sister made quilts for her teenage grandchildren, but let them pick out the patterns and fabric. They loved them.

Honestly, there are lots of pictures of quilts posted on the board that I think are gosh-awful ugly. We all have different tastes.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
Originally Posted by ckcowl
boy, i TOTALLY AGREE! and to add just a little more...
when i give a loved one a quilt and visit...if i see the kids used their quilts to make a fort (they love making forts...and what ever blanket they can get their hands on works) i was not upset...i helped. sometimes reading peoples posts here really makes me wonder...
what did you make the quilt for? you give it to someone and if they use it...you are mad...it will show signs of being used...heaven forbid...
if they do not use it, but pack it away in a box or chest never (well maybe once in awhile) to be seen again...you are mad...geeze....
if anyone in my family was regularly reading on here they would be so .... confused.... what are we to do with the quilts you give us?
I SAY USE THEM...HOW EVER YOU WANT...IT IS YOURS NOW...
and, if it wears out...YEA! NOW I HAVE REASON TO MAKE YOU ANOTHER ONE! and i've made lots of purses...i make them, i show them to people i (thought) i would give them too.... if i show one and hear...WOW, HOW COOL IS THAT...I LOVE IT...well, that person gets the purse...if the response is more along the line of...OK...nice i guess...do you carry that? well, i know she wasn't as (taken) with it as i am...i don't waste her time with it.
people sometimes seem to put a little too much expectation on others...
if you make quilts you want to give away, but do not want used...tell the person you are giving it to...put it away, and 'show it' once in awhile...if you make a quilt you do want used...tell them when it is worn out you will make another one...then don't get all....indignant when you visit and it is being used...it's not yours any more...your part is over MOVE ON
Well said!
Total agreement!
Old 12-28-2010, 06:28 AM

I have not read the other responses (must RUN to Joannes before al the Christmas fabric is gone!)

This is a blog post I wrote on Christmas eve:

http://aliaslaceygreen.wordpress.com...ord-is-thanks/ :mrgreen:

It is really all I have to say about the situation, other than I make a lap quilt--- easy (but different) pattern, random Christmas fabric, every year. Whoever I draw in the Secret Santa for the family gets it. I could care less if they appreciate it. Eventually EVERYONE in the family will have a quilt from me, and then no one can say anything about someone else getting better. I spend easily more $$$ than anyone else on my SS gift, and certainly more time....
Old 12-28-2010, 06:43 AM

I would only give quilts or quilted items to people who I know would appreciate them. Usually they are people who have seen the quilt in the process and commented that they really like it. I would cut back on gifts for everyone and only give either money or gift cards to the adults (my grown children) and quilts for the grandkids (11 years and under). They seem to appreciate them.
Sue
Old 12-28-2010, 06:49 AM

If someone gave me a handmade purse, quilt, afghan or whatever, regardless if the gift was my colors or not or if I would ever use it, I would give them a sincere thank you for the lovely gift. It means that they thought enough of you, to go through the expense and time and effort to make something unique. They could have just gone to the store or online and bought something that is mass produced and just like everyone else has-same color, same thing, etc.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Champagnolle
I know my family well enough not to make quilts unless they pick out the pattern and fabric. My sister made quilts for her teenage grandchildren, but let them pick out the patterns and fabric. They loved them.

Honestly, there are lots of pictures of quilts posted on the board that I think are gosh-awful ugly. We all have different tastes.
I love your honesty!

I agree about knowing my family also. There are a couple I would never make a quilt for...
Old 12-28-2010, 07:06 AM

I wanted to make rag quilts for all the GK's this year (got three done). Here's what I did FIRST. I emailed each Mommy and stated my plans. I asked if they thought the kids would like to have them. I even ran colors and likes and dislikes by the Mommies. I said I was going out the next day to purchase fabric and if they thought the kids would not like them or they thought it was a dumb idea to let me know...my feelings would not be hurt. They all loved the idea!! One quilt is being given today, two on Saturday and the other three have to be made yet. I feel I avoided a lot of hurt and disappointment for myself and avoided putting my husband's DIL's in an awkward position. (they don't seem to appreciate anything). I may make the mommies a table runner and napkins for Christmas next year, but nothing toooo personal.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:09 AM

I give quilts to people I know will use them. I pick a pattern and fabrics that I know they will like. I don't expect them to be over the moon about it (but it sure does my heart good when they are, lol).

This year, my mom and my MIL got quilts from me. They both cried because they loved them. They both knew how much time and work I put into them. They both were thrilled with my fabric choices. I know my mom and my MIL and what they would like. I was right.

I wanted to do quilts for my FIL and step dad...but I just couldn't think of something that would SUIT them. My step father and FIL are both artists in their own right. My step father paints, my FIL does wood work - I have stunning work in my home from both of them. I know they will both appreciate a quilt from me - because of the thought and the work put in...they "get it"...but I couldn't decide on fabrics and what not. Over Christmas this year, it clicked, I knew what to make for each of them. They'll get them next Christmas...they will love them, I know this. If I didn't think they would "get it", appreciate it, or that a quilt would suit them, I wouldn't make one. That's why I didn't make one for my BIL, and probably won't.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:18 AM

I couldn't agree more with alimaui! Some people complain here a lot about improper gratitude for and treatment of quilted gifts. I just don't get it. It's a gift!