Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Is this $40 Singer a great deal? >

Is this $40 Singer a great deal?

Is this $40 Singer a great deal?

Old 09-15-2011, 07:41 AM

i use to collect things but now i am a die hard recycler plus i do not have the space to be a collector. whenever i bought a new sewing machine/serger, i found someone to gift my replaced one to. i do that with most things i replace. i want a featherweight so if i get this machine and eventually my featherwieght, i will own 4 sewing machines and that will be my limit. :-D

Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Originally Posted by Havplenty
thanks so much for all of the information on what to look for. i will look at the machine tomorrow. i do not collect so this machine is being purchased to sew with. so i'm hoping everything is there that i need.
Had to laugh at "I do not collect" statement - mostly at myself. I didn't start out collecting either but now I have a collection. It started with one as a backup machine then one I could travel with then a good buy on one and so on and so forth. They begin to find you after a while and now I have friends who tell me where they saw vontage machines and one friend occasionally buys one for me. I don't believe many of us started as collectors but some of us wound up as collectors. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Old 09-15-2011, 07:42 AM

i will check for a knee bar today when i go look at the machine.

Originally Posted by lovelyl
Does the knee bar store in top of the case? Maybe it is there and the non-sewers don't realize it!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
thanks so much for all of the information on what to look for. i will look at the machine tomorrow. i do not collect so this machine is being purchased to sew with. so i'm hoping everything is there that i need.
Had to laugh at "I do not collect" statement - mostly at myself. I didn't start out collecting either but now I have a collection. It started with one as a backup machine then one I could travel with then a good buy on one and so on and so forth. They begin to find you after a while and now I have friends who tell me where they saw vontage machines and one friend occasionally buys one for me. I don't believe many of us started as collectors but some of us wound up as collectors. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So true!
Yes, it is!!
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 AM

i use to collect things but now i am a die hard recycler plus i do not have the space to be a collector. whenever i bought a new sewing machine/serger, i found someone to gift my replaced one to. i do that with most things i replace. i want a featherweight so if i get this machine and eventually my featherwieght, i will own 4 sewing machines and that will be my limit. :-D
Stick to your guns and good luck with the sewing machine.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 AM

Wwow that one looks like the one my Mom had and she gave to one of her friends not me!!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:50 AM

GREAT Price.. buy it...
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 AM

If a mchine is missing a pedal you will end up spending up to 40.00 or more for one- which also means unless you happen to have one that fits you can't test it. Talk them down on the price by pointing out the obvious.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:33 PM

I just had a Singer made in 1950 given to me by my DH's friend. I live in Warner Robins ,Georgia. How do I find someone to check it out and restore it for me?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo
Oh I'd buy it so fast their heads would be spinning.
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM

Our Bernina dealer is also a sewing maching repair. he sold me an original footpedal and cord for $12.
This machine may be a redeye? the case is rare.
I would buy this in a second.
go to mySINGERstory.com, put in the serial number and they will tell you the year, give you a certificate and you can enter to win the 160th anniverysary model.
SingerCo.com will allow you to download a free manual.