Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
10 going on 18 >

10 going on 18

10 going on 18

Old 05-17-2011, 11:47 AM

Is she a total girlie girl or does she like jeans? Most teens and tweens love jeans, if your daughter is one of them, you could make her a (black) jeans quilt. Just nice big squares of black jean material,some blocks can include seams for interest, while some alternating blocks of jeans can include pockets. You can also transfer jean labels, etc., for additional interest. You can sew the pockets shut or leave them open for her to “fill” with her favorite sleep things/toys/dolls/Kleenex/remote/I-pods or whatever. Back the quilt with hot pink (non-pill fleece is nice, soft and cuddly) and tie the quilt with hot pink as well. This is a fairly easy quilt to make and she can help you. When I made a jeans quilt for my granddaughter, I went to my local thrift store and requested their throw-away jeans that are donated to them. I collected nine pair of jeans, more than enough to cut out the material I wanted. One pair had a cool zipper pocket which I included into a square. Whatever you decide to do, have great fun with it together. :D
Old 05-17-2011, 12:01 PM

How about a tube quilt? Very easy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWSp0mTTqE
Old 05-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Check my avatar pic. Perfect in pink and black. Made that for our new baby last Oct. and nursery is pink and black. I was against that color scheme but I was the first to admit, it realy is very pretty. The Pattern name isOopsie Daisy by darleen Zimmerman
Old 05-17-2011, 01:02 PM

how about an easy log cabin in shades of pinks, black and grey?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM

How about one with flip-flops and sunglasses?
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM

Have her design it on graph paper for you....specify that she can only use squares and half-square triangles. Then have her color it for you the colors she wants.....she can do it, and will probably love seeing her design come to life!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:36 PM

When you and she talk patterns you may be talking two different things....you a quilting pattern and she the pattern of material (color, flowers, animals, etc.). Take her shopping for the right colors and give her a chance to see all the options. Then decide on a cute fun early teen quilt that she won't outgrow too soon. (I really love the checked with appliqued flowers!! I think she would too!)
Maybe a rag quilt would be fun for her...she could help by sewing the X in the blocks. Good luck and have fun!!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 PM

My grand daughter has those colors in her room, & I made her the Day & Night quilt by Eleanor Burns. The book has the needed ruler in the back and she gives good directions. Sorry I don't have a picture of it. Jan
Old 05-17-2011, 07:02 PM

I made my oldest daughter a d9p using white with black print, black with white print and hot pink ,it is beautiful and all the girls at school love it.These are 18 -20 year olds.I then made one for my youngest 16 using same concept but lime green beautifut also, all her friends loved it. Then I use the scraps and made the pink for a little girl and her friends want one also.So you cant go wrong with d9p using black, white and any other color.Not to grown up and not to baby-ish.These are not hard to do either !Good luck.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Do a Turning 20 and let her choose the fat quarters!