Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
11 year old wants to quilt!! >

11 year old wants to quilt!!

11 year old wants to quilt!!

Old 06-24-2010, 03:58 PM

[quote=ThreadsofLife]My daughter is 8 and wants to quilt. Do you think that is to young? If not what type of machine do you think I should get for her. I have a Viking Designer SE and I think it would be to much for her to handle. Please give me your thoughts...[/quote

Viking has a needle guard for $20. Let her sew on your machine. My 5-year old granddaughter sews on mine. She sits and directs the fabric and I control the foot pedal. She loves to "cut" the thread. If your daughter continues to show an interest, then get her an inexpensive machine that has some built-in embroidery stitches. Since I sewed my finger when I was 8, I always put the guard on for both of my granddaughters (the other one is 12). I don't worry as much.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by nwm50
wow Laurlync....that is a awesome quilt using those colors.
Thanks. Mom loves red and yellow. I had picked out the sunflowers and the bees and thought about using green in place of the red, but chose to try the red because I know how much she loves it. After I got it together, I loved the colors together, too!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:10 PM

My granddaughters love to sew with me also. Two of them have made their own little quilts and have made 4 patch blocks and also embroidered blocks. My youghest gd is 11 and she even free motion quilted her quilt on the frame with her own squiggle design. Came out really cute.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Have her choose 4 1 yard pieces of material. Cut them into 3 1/2 in strips. Then make a rail fence cutting them into 12 1/2 inch squares after sewing the 4 strips together.

Have taught grands as young as 7 to make 4 patches. Enjoy this time together as I have.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:19 PM

My daughter started sewing at 8 with my Viking Sapphire. She took the owners class for kids at my Viking dealer. If you don't have the class available, just show her the basics. I think with your guidance she'll be fine on your machine.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:28 PM

How about a disappearing 9-patch? It's very quick but it looks great. You could even use some specialty fabric, say like a theme fabric. Depending on how you cut the squares, it is almost like fussy cutting. They go together really fast and finished look more difficult than they are. Have fun!
Old 06-24-2010, 04:44 PM

I just worked with my 13 yr old DGD on her first quilt. She chose one that had alternate 9" blocks with 9 patch blocks, she used all bright colors and it looks great. She left for camp so I am waiting for her to get back for her to put the border on it. Her mother (my DD) had never had an interest so I am really excited about this. She seems to be a natural at it, too.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ThreadsofLife
My daughter is 8 and wants to quilt. Do you think that is to young? If not what type of machine do you think I should get for her. I have a Viking Designer SE and I think it would be to much for her to handle. Please give me your thoughts...
No. My granddaughter was 4 when I started teaching her to sew. She got her first sewing machine at 5 and then her full size machine at 8. She is now 11 and quite a seamstress.
Does your machine have a low gear? If it does, set it on low.
Teach her the safety rules first (hand placement for guiding the material, etc...)
Then have her practice on lines drawn on paper without the machine threaded.
Then teach her how to sew the squares.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 PM

Hi! I bought a great book for my 11 year old granddaughter called Sewing FUN for Kids - Patchwork, Gifts & more. It was thru C&T Publishing, author Lynda S. Mulligan and Nancy J. Smith. You might want to look into it. It has some really great items to quilt. Have fun!
Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM

My niece was not much more that 11 when we made a "quilt in a day" (which of course isn't a day) log cabin. She was careful with the seam lines. (Back then the first book was before rotary cutters and the directions were to tear the fabric! It worked!). So it can be put together
in a number of ways if you look at the book -- zig-zag. Depends on the size. It was a great bonding experience and she still has it and is now a mother herself!