Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
11 year old wants to quilt!! >

11 year old wants to quilt!!

11 year old wants to quilt!!

Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 PM

How about getting a feature fabric and makea nine patch with it as the center block. the outside blocks can be some of the colors that is in the feature block. I would suggest 12inch blocks, with perhaps the feature fabric as the border too. or even a favourite color that is in the feature fabric. I am doing one similar for a baby with ballet dancer fabric. Let your daughter choose the fabric and show her how to use accent colors to set it off. I hope this helps you a little bit.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:36 PM

My granddaughter played with my sewing machine for a couple years when I went to visit. (My son needed his jeans mended and his wife doesn't sew.) SHe cut pieces of cloth and just sewed them together and made a rag blankie for her sister. All supervised. Then I took material for pillowcases and she made one for herself and one for sis. The next year, (at 11 yoa) she came to my house and had a wonderful time going through my beautiful stash. She made a shoulder bag. She was so intent on learning all of the steps, the why's and why nots of sewing, safety,etc., and how to unsew. Something with half square triangles mixed in with other blocks might motivate her. Go in small time slots unless she truly stays interested. Wish my GD lived closer than 1100 miles to Georgia from Western NY.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:25 PM
Power Poster

I think a 9 patch where she can learn the basics without getting frustrated.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:37 PM

You lucky person! There is nothing better than sharing your passion with a child. I hope you will both enjoy the process.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:50 PM

8 isn't too young to learn to sew. I think your Viking SE would be fine to learn with, it has the feature where you can slow it down; if I recall correctly. (I sell Vikings.) The Viking 116 is a good beginner machine too. The machines geared toward kids are usually more of a pain to use as they don't work very well. My DD learned to sew with my
Bernina 1031 when she was 10. She's 23 now; has a Bernina 930 that she just loves. She makes wonderful garments and designs most of them herself.
Sharon W.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:52 PM

I have taught kids to sew with my Singer featherweight too, they seem to like the smaller size. I have taught kids quilting classes and I used the bug jar block and also rail fence; both blocks are easy to sew and look good too.
Sharon W
Old 06-24-2010, 06:57 PM

What about Elanore Burns Single Irish Chain. Large pieces and only half the blocks are pieced. An easy but beautiful quilt. I taught several of my friends this as their first quilt. How awesome that she wants to learn.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:02 PM

I also use my Baby Lock Quilters Choice that I can regulate the speed or she can. It sure makes control a lot easier until they get more sure of themselves and a great confidence builder.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 PM

when my daughter said this she made a Rail Fence that was big enough for a pillow. At 19 she still hangs onto that pillow, though has never wanted to quilt much since then. It has the advantage of not too may decisions, she can use rotary cutting (with supervision) and it will assemble quickly.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:57 PM

I suggest the disappearing 9 patch. Unlike a regular 9 patch, it looks really hard.