Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM

Are you using the spring type foot? I had to go buy it to make it work. I had the darning foot without the spring and it just didnt cut it. Also I had to use two different types of thread. I used a pretty varigated in the bobbin but I tried using it in the top and had to change to an all cotton thread. I was very frustrated so I know how you feel. Just keep trying.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:01 PM

Think of your needle as a pencil and you are drawing on paper. What are your specific issues? I was ready to give up quilting the first time I tried. Then I decided to tackle it again. Watching some of the Quilt Shows that featured people that quilt on sewing machines helped also.
Diane/Wyoming/Janome 6600P
Old 01-02-2011, 05:05 PM

So, I am a newbie and don't know all the lingo...FMQ ...
F? Machine Quilting???
Old 01-02-2011, 05:08 PM

DOn't fret. You'll see how much better you do by the ned of the quilt. It does take practice. For right now try to keep the quilting even-not too much in one area and less in antoher. When you finish the quilt and wash it you will be surprised how good it looks. Your next one will be even better. SOmeone is very lucky to get your quilt. They won't give it back!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by DCECathy
So, I am a newbie and don't know all the lingo...FMQ ...
F? Machine Quilting???
Free Motion Quilting
Old 01-02-2011, 05:16 PM

FMQ stands for FREE motion quilting.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

Drawing some designs all over pieces of paper, before you sew them, can help. Be sure you pull up enough slack around the area you are quilting so that you won't be pulling on the quilt while trying to make your circular movements. That can make jerky curves.

A charity quilt is a great thing to practice on because you are learing how to handle a big quilt, and also providing something warm and cozy to the recipient. It doesn't have to be perfect. And remember you can always pick out the ugly parts and re-do them. You will get better, so don't get discouraged. (Preaching to myself here, too!)
Old 01-02-2011, 05:23 PM

Sounds like you are doing it right, but it does take practice. You have to match the speed of your hands to the speed of your feet. So give yourself a pat on the back, you did it, you really started FMQ'ing. So just know it will take a lot of practice.There is a good sight with a lot of help and info on it: http:/daystyledesigns.com. I learned a lot from her.

Something that might help is to make 10" pot holders, using fmq as the design. Last year I made a bunch of them and gave them away as X-mas gifts. It sure helped me with my fmq, and the family loved them.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM

Don't worry, you'll get it. We all went through this stage. It's like a baby falling down a lot when learning to walk, and the next thing you know, the baby is running!

On a muslin or scrap sandwich, practice writing your name. With your name you never have to worry about "where you are going next." Keep practicing. Then write the lower case cursive alphabet. Try alternating lower case e's and l's.

I also find I cannot FMQ without my Machingers gloves...they help a LOT!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I could really use that hug now...I have no one here in Delaware to quilt with or talk to about it...family not into crafts, only children are sons and I work 2 jobs...oh well...thanks
{HUG}