Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-02-2011, 01:14 PM

The first quilt I made was white on white and I was told that I should move the fabric as if I was driving (I hope you drive). Move the fabric as if you are steering a car. I always wear gloves, that helps holding the fabric. Do you have a picture you can post?
Keep your chin up and keep a smile on your quilt.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:23 PM

Try quilting with feed dog up. Surprisingly enough, you have more control. I've always quilted with it down but when I discovered this tip, I found I liked it.
Good Luck!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:39 PM

I have not done any FMQ, but that is one of my goals for 2011. I may need help too!!!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:05 PM

I can't offer much advice because I have never machine qulted but I can maybe give you a little support. Just stop and take a little break and then go back to it and just go slowly. Don't fret over it too much. You'll get the hang of it and then you'll think,"What was I so worried about?"
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM

Draw out your design as you would want it on the facric with a fabric pen, then sew on the the lines til you get the feel of it and and do it without marking.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Oh please don't cry. And please continue, it'll be all right.

I got bored with practice after the second sandwich. So I started on a real quilt. Not a charity one either, but a "real" one that I love and use. It's here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-74929-1.htm
You can't even see in the photos how craggly my quilting lines are when you look at it up close.

Once I finished, bound and washed the quilt, it looked ok! At least to me. Not ok to the quilt police with a magnifiying glass, I'm sure... but I went straight on to my next quilt.
You know, I just looked at your quilt on the link and I don't think anyone would be able to tell it was a first time at FMQ. You done a lovely job!
I made a blanket for one of my grandsons for Christmas, I had to quilt it some how and since the design was the golden royal dragon with the red and orange flames. I didn't know what to do so I took some metalic thread, and used the stippling stitch on the dragons and yet still used it with the feed dogs down. That way I had some help with the design, it was stippling and I just guided the fabric around. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The kids and Mothers loved it. :-P
Old 01-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Power Poster

Practice practice practice. There is a "sweet spot" when your hands and machine are working at the best speed combination, and you'll know it when you get there. I still can't get there all the time, but, it gets better all the time.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:36 PM

I DE quilted a quilt I was unhappy with. I went to Big Lots and for $4 got a mustache trimmer that is battery operated. I carefully ran this over all the threads and most of the threads cut, then I used my lint roller, after that the trimmer again.. The material looks perfect and I had thousands of stitches! Good luck, go slow, you can fix this
Old 01-02-2011, 04:05 PM

I am sending you a DOUBLE HUG from Florida
Old 01-02-2011, 04:12 PM

Take a deep breath, wriggle you shoulders and relax. Take it slowly and as soon as you feel yourself tensing up, stop and take a short break. Remember that you're not in competition with anyone and that learning FMQ takes time and plenty of practice. If you take your time now, I'm sure that you will get to love it. It gives you so much more freedom with your quilts. Best of luck, I'm sure you're going to master it without too much trouble.