Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I did some practicing on small quilted scraps to get the feel of free motion quilting. Now I am working on my first charity doing FMQ and it looks like a disaster! I could really use some help and tips. I just want to do swirls all over the little quilt and mine look like jagged circles. I lowered the tension to 3 and I dropped the feed dogs...Oh I don't know...I am just upset but I really want to do a nice job! Please help...tips anything...thanks
You don't really have to lower your tension. RELAX! Go slow if it intimidates you. Sometimes if you go too fast, your smooth loops get "jaggy" and pointed. Not sure what fabric you're working on, but for the future, if you can freemotion on a print, the quilting will show up less than plain, and as you get better (and you WILL) your designs will want to stand out!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:47 AM

I am relatively new to FMQ also. I started on table runners and small items. I recommend using quilting gloves. They help you control the material so much better. My machine uses the darning foot for FMQ. It keeps the view open to more easily see where I have been and where I need to go. I am no expert yet but each time gets a little easier. I have also found that the faster I can go, the easier it is to manipulate the fabric. It is scary though. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Yes, I understand your feelings. :cry: But don't give up, it is a skill that will take time. You didn't learn to write, ride a bike, or sew with skill over night and it is the same with FMQ. Make up some "sandwiches" of batting, front and back, pretty fabric or muslin, it doesn't matter, and every time you sit down at the machine take 10 or 15 minutes and practice FMQ. If you do this several times a week, you will be surprised at the progress you will make in 6 months. Don't expect perfection right away. Invest in either a pair of machine quilting gloves or use a water base hand lotion to help you help you move the fabric smoothly, and spray starch the backing. That also lets it slide easier. Another thing that helped me is doodling some of the designs you want to put on the fabric. It's a hand/eye/mind thing and once it gets into the brain it goes easier.
So please, please, don't give up, keep practicing and you will improve.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:01 AM

So far I have stitched in the ditch, used decorating stitches, and all kinds of things like this. Tried free motion quilting on a baby quilt. It is still in my pile to do. Stitching was terrible. I ripped and retried, and ripped again. So now I have 48 - 14" blocks already sandwiched ready to be put together in a Quilt as you go. This gives me 48 ways to try free motion. Regardless of how it looks I will put it together, but I may have to do some ripping.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:39 AM
EC

I totally agree with GrammaBabs when she says,

"Another tip.. for me.. the whole "stipple thing" is just not possible.... i have no problem doing what i call a loop de loop..one loop goes up... the next goes down... that seems to be a movement that comes natural to me."

I find I'm concentrating too much on not crossing lines of stitching and trying to decide where to go next and keep the stipple in a relatively same size. I'm more comfortable with something that feels like handwriting. Maybe it's from so many years of "Palmer Method", handwriting with the nuns!!!

I do keep trying to stiple though! Never was great at penmanship.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:56 AM

My first FMQ is a Christmas quilt that comes out this time of year. Embarrassing! Here are my tips:
1. relax
2. stop and start with the needle in the down position
3. work in small areas (don't try to do too much at one time)
4. you probably need a faster needle speed (and slower fabric motion speed) than you think.

I have gotten much better and I sure you will, too! It is true what they say: Practice makes perfect.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JanieW
I feel your pain. I went through the same thing. One of the things that worked for me was to make the machine go really fast and my hands went fairly slowly.

I bought some really cheap muslin and made a gazillion pot holders, place mats, etc. to practise.

I also found that the batting made a difference. I find it easier to FMQ with a cotton batting rather than the polyester. The thinner the better.

I also visualize what I want to do before I actually do it.

Try drawing your pattern on your sample and try to follow the lines. My first attempt was just to outline some flowers on a fabric. I'm still not good but getting better..

Don't give up. Just keep practising on something that doesn't matter and you will get better. Don't worry so much about the design, get the feel for moving your fabric and the design quality will come later.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:00 PM

So much good advice--- we've all been there in the ripping out-- not fun. When FMQ just think puzzles pcs when stippling. After you master stippling you will gain courage to branch out. The correlation between foot pedal and hands is everything. I started out FMQ with baby blankets these will never be given as gifts. I have improved so will you! Stick with it you will have a ball!!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 PM

I've also used latex gloves when in a bind and they work great. I decided that since there were no quilting police, I would free motion however I wanted. This usually means doing loops instead of trying so hard to not cross lines. This has really taken the pressure off and my quilts look just fine!!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by EC
I totally agree with GrammaBabs when she says,

"Another tip.. for me.. the whole "stipple thing" is just not possible.... i have no problem doing what i call a loop de loop..one loop goes up... the next goes down... that seems to be a movement that comes natural to me."

I find I'm concentrating too much on not crossing lines of stitching and trying to decide where to go next and keep the stipple in a relatively same size. I'm more comfortable with something that feels like handwriting. Maybe it's from so many years of "Palmer Method", handwriting with the nuns!!!

I feel the same way. AND I always relay on my grandmother's saying: Remember, a blind man would be pleased to see it.

I do keep trying to stiple though! Never was great at penmanship.