Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-03-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by josiegirl
can you give me more info on Leah Day and how to find her blog
Leah Day has a bunch of FMQ designs on her blog AND she has a video showing how she does all of them. Great place for inspiration and learning:

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

Here you go :thumbup:
Old 01-04-2011, 12:34 AM
QM
Power Poster

Some other points:

Stop with the needle down if at all possible.

When in doubt, stop. I used to have jerky 'changes' from one motion to another. Now I stop completely and shift my hands before continuing.

Clear the decks. The scrap of something else that is hiding behind your sewing machine is sure to get quilted into the back of your piece.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Location: Muscatine, Iowa by way of West Virginia, Washington State, and Montana

This is why I LOVE this site. Everybody is so willing to help, so encouraging, so kind, and so willing to share experiences. I haven't tried FM yet, but everything I have read has been so helpful and encouraging. You all are angels in my eyes.
Old 01-04-2011, 12:35 PM

Did you lower the feed dogs? You are probably holding the quilt too tight.. put your hands flat on the quilt and relax then move the quilt. Take a deep breath and then remember to breath while you are moving the quilt. Most people are so tensed when they try quilting that they don't move the quilt smoothly.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM
QM
Power Poster

That is SO true.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:42 PM

I had to search for this link for a bit. It is a multi-page, FREE, downloadable booklet on Pokey Bolton's site that has some of the best FMQ tips I've read. Plus samples and samples to get you practicing and beefing up your skills.

You may need to enter your email address and set a password to get there, but here is the link (you do not have to be a subscriber to her monthly magazine to get this download):

Go to:

http://www.quiltingarts.com/media/p/...owcontent.aspx

One more thing. The absolutely best FMQ tip I ever got was to use some scrap fabric and run several rows of stitching about an inch apart. Just regular stitching, not FMQ. Prepare at least 15 or 20 rows of machine stitching.

THEN: Set up for FMQ and attempt to stitch about a 1/4" away from the machine-regulated row of stitching. Do it again, and again, and again until your stitches start looking more like those that the machine regulated.

If I've been away from FMQ for a while, I'll go through this exercise for a few minutes before just to get back in the groove.

You'll be surprising yourself before you know it!

~Jo
Old 01-17-2011, 01:38 PM

I also like FMQ and as everyone says, it's practice, practice, practice. My first attempt was terrible, but with practice I got much better. I'm not a pro, but I am much better.

Also, love your avatar. Is that frog fabric? It looks very much like a quilt I made and have hanging on my sewing room wall.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:01 PM

Boy did I need to read all of these lovely comments. I tried FMQ a few days ago and felt so awful by the time I was finished. I'll keep trying, it helped reading all your wonderful words of encouragement!

Christine
http://quiltdasher.blogspot.com/
Old 02-10-2012, 12:40 PM

I hope you keep at it. Mine was consistenly terrible until it magically wasn't anymore. There wasn't even any transition from terrible to good. It just happened. Lots of good tips here but don't always assume loops are automatically a tension/threading issue. They are often because you are moving the fabric too fast with your hands. For me this seems to be the magic formula:
80/20 or better batting. All poly is always problematic for me
Leave feed dogs up
Turn tension way up
Old 02-10-2012, 12:52 PM

I only have a simple plan for every thing I attempt and fail at first. Take a deep breath then repeat "mind over matter" until you get your confidence back.