Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 AM

FMQ just takes Practice, practice and MORE practice !!
Don't even begin on a real quilt until you have done DOZENS of practice squares!! and ALWAYS, always WARM UP on a practice piece BEFORE you start on a quilt !
Always use the same thread, top & bottom
Increased machine tension often helps
Use THIN cotton batting or cotton blend, a thick or synthetic batting will cause you endless frustration
Try the Bobbin Genie inserts (small white teflon washers) if you get backlashing (eyelashed stitches underneath)
Wear comfortable gloves (like Machingers) or the Quilt Halo etc works well for many
Check out FMQ videos online, TONS of good tips & tricks
PRACTICE ... RELAX ... BREATHE !!! You can do it !! :)
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 AM

I've been to a couple of FMQ classes. Take a piece of paper and pencil and draw the pattern you want, ie the loops. Draw and draw. This puts the design into your brain, then practice on a small sandwich to make sure your machine is sewing correctly. I usually use scraps from the quilt I am working on. And as one has said, practice, practice, practice. I'm still learning and have good and bad days, believe me.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:17 AM

Leah Day has a bunch of FMQ designs on her blog AND she has a video showing how she does all of them. Great place for inspiration and learning:

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/
Old 01-03-2011, 09:22 AM

I had a lot of problems in the beginning as well, one thing I did for myself was have a friend make an extention table (I think that is what you would call it). It is a piece of plywood I picked up at the local home improvement store and I traced out the shape of my machine on one end of it and my friend cut it out for me and added legs the same size as my machine, now when its time to quilt I just add the table to and it gives me a larger work surface. It really helps, just last week I quilted an iris and my roses are looking like roses. lol
Old 01-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Banned

A couple of additional tips: when you start your FMQ practice piece, raise your bobbin thread up to the top and hold on gently to both the top and bobbin threads (pulled out to about 8-10 inches beyond your needle) as you begin to sew.

And I strongly second the motion to practice many, many times on sandwiched squares or rectangles (I use 15- by 20-inch ones, roughly) before starting on an entire quilt, and again each time I start working on an actual project. This lets you know that your machine is actually doing the stitch Ok and is a great warm-up.

Dana
Old 01-03-2011, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the FMQ video links. The last time I FMQ'd I tried to loop d' loop and my loops were not even close to the same size. As it was in a 6" border, it really looked bad as some were small and round and some were oval and big. I finally cut out from paper the size I wanted and then when I got to the loop, I pinned the paper on that spot and stitched around it. It really made a difference and I did not have the jagged circle that I had when I tried to freehand it. I get lost stippling, forget where I am going as I focus on the spot I'm in and don't see the whole picture so to speak, and then get lost. Any suggestions?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:22 PM
QM
Power Poster

Many stores refer to a walking foot as a quilting foot. A walking foot is NOT what you should be using for FMQ. An embroidery or darning foot is what you need. Also, either lower feed dogs or reduce stitch length to zero. My Janome has a feed dog cover for FMQ. I think it is a pain to use, so I don't.

Leaves, hearts and stars are good things to start on.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:58 PM

We who are not good at FMQ do make it to page 10! Your suggestion about finding a pattern that fits you is super, as well as unique. I am going to start with that, and conquer this challenge this time around. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Sew Fast (medal to the metal)... BUT move (your hands) slowly.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 PM

can you give me more info on Leah Day and how to find her blog