Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

I forgot that you have to reduce your stitch length to zero! And drop the feed dogs as well. Maybe that's the explanation for the birds' nests on the back!

Dana
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM

FMQ is hard to master. I have messed up quilts and cried! I have a quilt that I have lost my interest in finishing because of all the un-quilting I have done!
It does get easier with practice. I got a couple of pattern books that you use the Golden Threads tissue paper with. That really helped me a lot.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:39 PM

You must use a darning foot and lower the feed dogs. If you use quilting gloves it will help a lot, they keep your hands from slipping. Mine are very light weight and have rubber tips, I wouldn't be without them!
Old 01-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Dkm

Try doing meandering and stay with it until you feel very comfortable with it. This is the easiest one to learn. I took a class and the first thing she taught us was to write our name. She said to practice until we could read it.LOL

Hang in and don't give up. When you get this down pat(and you will) always remember to to a test on the material you are going to use.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Banned

One more thing! Also forgot, as pointed out earlier, that you must drop your presser foot pressure to zero, if you have this adjustment on your machine for FMQ. This allows the darning/quilting foot to bounce freely as you move the fabric. (So much stuff to remember! No wonder it's hard when you first learn!)
Old 01-03-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by josiegirl
can you give me more info on Leah Day and how to find her blog
Farmgirl gave the link in this thread.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:20 PM

Almost everything I've read about FMQ says to lower the feed dogs. I found (by accident) that I do a much better job with the feed dogs left up. It does take a lot of practice.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:06 PM

Take it from someone who thought that was just a hopeless cause for me. I've practiced and practiced, told myself how impossible this is, put it up. Practiced and practiced, impossible and put it up. I do believe I'm finally showing some improvement. A must for me is gloves. The machingers worked for me so that's all I've tried. Everyone has a different technique-what works for one doesn't work for all. A large flat surface is a sure must. I didn't have a sewing table with a drop down ( I do have a killer sewing room--no fancy table) so my husband took a table (foldup like you get at Lowes or Wal Mart) and cut a hole in it with a shelf under it. Works great. A free motion foot (darning foot) is a must. Practice practice at your speed-not wide open but not turtle slow) to get an even stitch. I make dozen(s) of practice pads about 12x12 and go at it. If you start getting upset-stop and go back later. If I can do it-you surely can.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
It is a BIG learning curve at first. You may be rushing the learning process by trying to FMQ an actual quilt already. I didn't try FMQ anything "real" for a couple of months. The cat got some nice quilted practice sandwiches to sleep on though.

Make up a whole stack of 12 or 15 inch square sandwiches to practice on. Spend a little time at it every chance you get, and your skill will improve dramatically over time. Save your practice pieces and you can see your progress.

I practice my quilting on a small sandwich first EVERY time I sit down to work on a real quilt. I'm not great at it yet, but things are looking much better!

If the FMQ isn't working out for this charity quilt, you may want to try doing some wavy lines or a wavy grid with a walking foot instead if that's an option for you.

Good luck, and keep practicing on small pieces until you're happy with your work, then try a small quilt again.
Really excellent advice from Wendy: Practice, Practice, Practice. Even though I teach machine quilting, before I start on a 'real' quilt, I always do practice pieces to determine my quilting design and regain my rhythm before hand. Those practice pieces find their way into other projects, so nothing goes to waste.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM

Free-motion quilting is so different when you are quilting a big quilt rather than a practice sandwich. Mastering the relative speed of your hands and foot control is much harder when you have the weight of a larger quilt dragging and pulling on the needle. It can be very fatiguing, too. Be sure to give yourself breaks where you get up and walk around and try to relax your neck muscles. Try to think of just the area you are working on, not the whole thing. I usually start in the middle, which is the most difficult area, since it has the most loose fabric all around. If the quilt is big enough, try throwing some of it over your shoulder to support it. And don't do it when you are tired. You'll feel frustrated and discouraged. Just keep at it and it will become better. Good luck!