Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 02-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

it is best as you practice to work yourself up to bigger and bigger- going from a little 12" square to a whole quilt is quite a jump- go from a small square to a larger one- then a bit larger---until you are up to a baby blankee- then a lap quilt ect---- each new size is a whole new learning experience- having to control the bulk of the larger and larger piece- it takes time and practice for everyone- keep practicing- each one will be better than the one before.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:19 PM

I just did swirls as my first FMQ project. These few things helped me....I had a picture on the floor beside me and when I did closer together and medium size swirls it was easier to control. I have a pair of gloves which helped with the constant curving. It is not perfect but me for me it turned out not too bad. After a few more quilts I might feel different but then I look at my first hand quilt and I look now and I got better. Just think about it as a way to show off your blocks and keep your quilt together....Keep it simple and don't stress, your blocks are being decorated with some flare! Good Luck!!