Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-01-2011, 11:01 AM

If you are getting loops on the back, your top tension is too loose. You need to tighten your top tension. Turn your knob clockwise or toward a higher number.

Tension is a tug of war between the two threads.

Remember, fast foot, slow hands. It's a rhythm you have to get into. The tendency is to want to go as fast as your foot - resist the urge.

You might also try with your feed dogs up. Some machines are more particular than others, and what works for some doesn't necessarily work for all.

Good luck!

Ebony
Old 01-01-2011, 11:10 AM

You have received alot of good advice. I use the Machiner's Gloves, they have rubber on the fingers which helps you grip your fabric better. I also use a Supreme Slider, which is like a piece of silicone. It fits on the bed of your machine and makes the quilt slike easier while FMQing.

I hope all of the info you have received helps,
JulieM
Old 01-01-2011, 11:16 AM
np3
Power Poster

It gets easier. It doesn't have to look perfect. It will still be loved. Hang in there!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:27 AM

Oh please don't cry. And please continue, it'll be all right.

I got bored with practice after the second sandwich. So I started on a real quilt. Not a charity one either, but a "real" one that I love and use. It's here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-74929-1.htm
You can't even see in the photos how craggly my quilting lines are when you look at it up close.

Once I finished, bound and washed the quilt, it looked ok! At least to me. Not ok to the quilt police with a magnifiying glass, I'm sure... but I went straight on to my next quilt.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
any ideas as to why the loops on the back?
Top tension needs tightening. Also make sure you've lowered the pressure foot, the darning foot "floats" so it can be easy to overlook when you've not lowered it. (Ask me how I know...) :)
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 AM

FMQ takes practice to master - I doubt I'll ever be a master, lol!

I've heard that playing music with a strong beat helps, haven't tried it myself as I like quiet.

Washing and drying the quilted item really does make it look better. I think once you get the tension issue figured out so there aren't loops on the bottom, you should keep going, finish the quilt then wash and dry it. Bet you'll be pleasantly surprised!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Try doodling with pencil on paper or just with your finger on the table. Believe it or not, your brain will retain the muscle memory and it will be easier once you try thread on fabric. From your description it sounds like you have not found the sweet spot when the speed of the machine and the speed at which you move the fabric go in synch. When the machine is too slow and you move the fabric too fast, you tend to get jagged edges. When the machine is too fast and the fabric moves too slowly, you tend to get angry tiny little stitches. Try speeding the machine up a little.

How is your table set up? I noticed that my machine was too high and when I quilted, I developed "wings" (aka shoulders by the ears) which made smooth movement of the sandwich tough.

Are you wearing quilting gloves to help you move the sandwich easier? I use "machingers" - they are very thin and non-obtrusive.

Are you using a sheet of vinyl on the machine table? It helps cut down the static electricity and MANOHMAN does it EVER make a difference in fabric movement.

Those are all the tips I got. Don't give up. It will get better.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Use a swirling design that you are very comfortable with, one that does not feel awkward keeping up with :D:D:D
Old 01-01-2011, 02:22 PM

Lots of good advice-I am also just learning FMQ and vowed when I got my new machine last month I would dedicate myself to learning. Well, I did my first FMQ on a Quisinart stand mixer cover I made my sister for Xmas and I did a stiple on the sides-I was really pleased with the results for my first time. I think the stiple is a bit more forgiving of a few jagged corners than many other designs. Anyway, I used a plain fabric for the lining so I could really examine the results. MY biggest problem was the different stitch lengths-but unless you really examine it closely, the overall result was quite passable. I need much practice to get the stitch length more equal so I will try the speeding-up, slowing down, etc till it looks better. I know practice makes perfect (well, better, anyway) so I guess that is just what we have to do. I like the anagogy of it being like learning handwriting. But during this learning curve, I might just stick to stippling.
Old 01-01-2011, 02:24 PM

Do you mark it first with a washable marker? I find that I wonder off my lines when I get to thinking of something else while sewing, so the marking reminds me to stay HERE and go THAT way.