Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying >

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

1ST Time FMQ ...feel like crying

Old 01-02-2011, 02:23 AM

At least you tried. I'm just a cowardy custard.
Annie
Old 01-02-2011, 02:46 AM
Power Poster

yup---PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE....i always recommend starting with little practice projects and work your self up to big...as in...when the pot holders are looking pretty good move up to a table runner, when that size is managable and looking like you want go to a baby quilt...practice practice...each time your practice gets bigger you learn to manuver the project around and it will get easier...
no one can just do a couple little squares then jump onto a big quilt and have it come out the way they (thought) it should. it takes a long time to get there.
if you are in a hurry maybe you should try some easier lines to hold it together...if you do not have a nearing deadline, put it aside and go back to practicing moving all that bulk around.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:36 AM

It looks like you have already gotten some good advice. I am so sorry you are having problems, but please don't get discouraged like I did. I didn't think I would ever find the technique that worked best for me. While I messed around trying to find the right technicque, my quilts tops were multiplying. LOL I haven't read all of the replies, my suggestions below are probably in there somewhere becaue I think we all go through the same process. Don't give up.

1st - Just use a walking foot and do the stitch in the ditch. It's a charity quilt not a show at a quilt festival. The recipient is going to care about the colors and how it feels. I personally think that comfort quilts should have polyester batting in them with not much quilting because they are cosier to the feel.

2nd - cotton batting is the very best to start with. I tried FMQ with polyester batting and the only way that would work would be stretched on a long arm. It's probably one of my most favorite to cuddle under, but I am not very proud of the FMQ.

3rd - use machine quiltling thread

4th - make a bunch of table runners and use quilt patterns in them so you can "practice" how to use different designs and give them as gifts.

5th - It takes a few tries to learn how to handle all that fabric too. I saw someone on you-tube demonstrate her table area for FMQ on large quilts. She put a large table up against a corner and used a smaller table in an "L" shape to the left and put her machine table by it. This way the fabric doesn't fall on the floor. I have found that those gloves you can buy for machine quilting helps me a lot with moving the fabric where I want to.

6th - DON'T GIVE UP - you are on your way, you just don't know it.

7th - I have heard this advice from all the professionals that I know who do FMQ on their home sewing machines ..........PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE

good luck
Old 01-02-2011, 03:56 AM

For most machines you have to loosen the tension. You did the right thing there. Just practice. It will get easier.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:17 AM

FMQ has a huge learning curve. Please do not get discouraged, it just takes time. Try layering scrap fabric and practice on that. It will get better as time goes on. Hugs.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:58 AM

Did you forget to put the sewing machine foot down. Easy to forget that when free motioning and it does cause loops on the back.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:10 AM

Before I start FMQ on something, I sandwich a largish scrap of the same fabric as the top and bottom and practice on that. This helps you adjust the tension to suit the quilt. I draw out what I want to do first on paper and do it over and over until I get the rhythm. A friend of mine said to have a glass of wine first in order to relax! I usually FMQ in the morning, so that's no good for me. The books all say to go fast, but I find I do better starting out slow and going at a more moderate pace. Also, with my machine, it seems I do a better job with the feed dogs UP even though I'm using the darning foot. Don't know why!
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 AM

Turning the machine vertically is a great idea ..thanks
Old 01-02-2011, 05:44 AM

Hi. I didn't read through all the responses you received (lots of sympathy from all who've tried FMQ), but I read the first page and didn't see anyone recommending to reduce your pressure on your presser foot A LOT. I forgot to do this once and it made flowing patterns almost impossible. Also, Machinger gloves or any gardening gloves with little grippies on the finger tips help infinitely. Finally, keep your machine going fast enough, or you'll try to move the fabric when your needle is still down. When the needle comes up, that pulling causes the fabric to "jump", making flowing patterns difficult again. Good luck! I started FMQ a couple months ago and still have to give myself a pep talk before I put the "peddle to the metal".
Old 01-02-2011, 05:47 AM

Call or go to your local quilt shop and inquire if they have knowledge of area quilting clubs. Also check out local churches. The hands on help of other quilting friends is a gift. Just don't give up.