Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2013 or 3050 >

2013 or 3050

2013 or 3050

Old 12-04-2013, 04:39 AM

Default 2013 or 3050

I'm possibly looking to upgrade my basic Janomr Magnolia to either the DC 2013 or DC3050. Which would you choose.

My main reason for looking to upgrade is that I really want the needle up/down, options to change needle positions, and computerized with more stitch functions.

I'm still debating who myself if I even want to do this but is like you guys opinions on either machine. What you like best etc.

Thanks
Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 AM

Sorry I can't help, I'm a Bernina person!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a 1950's straight stitch Singer clone. It's great and I do use it occasionally, but I can't imagine doing the majority of my sewing if I couldn't move my needle. I have a 1/4" piecing foot, but if you read the board, many members will tell you that unless you can move your needle a bit, you can't achieve a true 'scant' quarter inch. I almost always sew with the needle down. In the needle down setting, my Viking automatically raises the foot a tiny bit which makes pivoting and chain piecing a breeze. I know that other manufacturers have adopted this feature. I also have about a million decorative stitches, but only use a couple, so if I had to do it again, I would get a machine with fewer decorative stitches, but with the movable needle, needle down & auto lift.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 AM

The needle positioning is a huge reason for wanting a new machine. I am always having major problems with getting a scant 1/4 seam and that's with having a painters tape line and my 1/4 guide foot. If I could move my needle to the right I could fix this but my magnolia only goes center or left.

The needle up/down is huge for me as well. Sometimes I get in the flow and don't stop to think about turning the knob to set the needle down and then I end up with boogers in my stitches.

Most of me wanting to upgrade is due to knowing how I am. It's quirks about myself that a new machine can make easier and counteract my quirks so I end up with less mistakes or having to redo stuff all the time.

I'm just unsure which machine to go with. There's a $50 price difference and one comes with a huge bonus pack but that's not a big deal because I already have the feet I would need. I just want the best machine in my price range right now and prefer janome as a brand although I'm open to others as long as they meet my criteria.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:51 AM

I have the Janome 3050 and it has been a great little machine. The two features I wish it had would be thread cutter and a scant 1/4" seamer. The Janome 1/4 inch foot is a fat quarter inch which causes preset blocks to come out smaller. Other than those two little things, it's been pretty perfect. I did add a small screwdriver to my sewing supplies. The little screw that keeps the foot on is tiny and slick. Can't tell you about the other one, maybe someone else has it.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:57 AM

Toverly, do you do your quilting on your 3050? If so how is the throat space for moving your quilt through? I looked for the dimensions there and I must have missed it cuz I couldn't find measurements.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 AM

I totally understand where you are coming from – I just upgraded from an older mechanical Janome machine to a used Janome 6260qc electronic machine. I am thrilled beyond belief to move up in the world of sewing machines, for all the reasons you mentioned.

No matter what I did and what foot I used (including a few I "modified" to help me out), I couldn't get a consistent and accurate quarter inch seam. On this machine, I set the seam width to 6, which skootches the needle over just enough to create a scant quarter inch. My old machine had a maximum width of 5, so even with the needle to its farthest right, it left me with a slightly wide seam allowance, which, as we all know, can lead to worlds of trouble down the road.

I would not go without an automatic needle threader. I know some people have trouble learning how to use it, but there is always time to learn but nothing you can do if you don't have it in the first place.

The needle up and down is great, and the stitches are awesome! Another cool thing is setting it so it automatically does either a lock stitch or a knot whenever you begin or stop sewing. Love it!

And the fabric moves through so smoothly (with the 7-point superior feed system – I sound like a salesperson, huh?) I hardly need pins.

I looked at the two machines you are considering, and the only thing I saw was that one had automatic tension and the other didn't. I think the more expensive one did not have automatic tension. What other differences did you find? Because I'd probably go with the cheaper one so I'd have more money for fabric.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:55 AM

Well my local dealer only carries the 2013. He is willing to trade in with my magnolia as well. The auto tension would be a big help cuz I am clueless about tension. It's something I'm learning as I go.

I might actually pack up my miss monster and head over and check out what they have. Thankfully my janome dealer isn't a turd about me having my toddler in the store. Probably cuz he sees dollar signs when I walk in lol.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:38 AM

Well, let us know what you decide. When I got my machine, the previous owner said she'd had a little trouble with the tension, but I adjusted the dial a tad it was fine. And then after that I noticed the auto tension setting, which I have yet to try, lol.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:52 AM

Well I went over and tested out two machines. The 2013 and the 5100. I'm going to trade up for the 5100. The alphabet stitches will come in handy and it felt better to me than the 2013.

So as long as all goes well tonight I'll have a new machine by 10 tomorrow.

Now I'm gonna watch some monster with my monster lol.