Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
2013 Quilting Goals >

2013 Quilting Goals

2013 Quilting Goals

Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 PM

OH, what a great thread!

Mine (so far...)
- finish my first ever quilt, which is so far just a top (I've done other quilts since then, but the first one I ever did has never been finished; it's a giant king-sized quilt and quite the mess but I HAVE to finish it!)
- make and enter at least one quilt in the county fair (I don't care if I "win" anything, I just need to put myself out there)
- make at least a half-dozen quilts for the Linus Project, all from my stash
- sew something with (yikes) curved seams
- improve my FMQ skills
- make at least ONE quilt just for myself, and KEEP it (I keep giving them all away as soon as they're done!)

And I'm considering joining a local guild.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:21 PM

So now that I've read everyone's quilting resolutions for 2013, I guess I should make a stab at it. Will probably not finish them all, but would probably not finish half if I don't set the goal high. Not necessarily in the order I plan to tackle them. So here goes:

1) Finish anniversary quilt for my parents. At their 60th celebration we all signed pieces for a "Diamond Wedding Ring" quilt, lap size, that is about 1/2 done. I had hoped to finish it by Christmas 2012...

2) Finish "wedding" quilt for DD and SIL. They were married in August, I told them it would be a 1st anniversary gift. This one is barely started. Have all the fabrics--will be doing Judy Martin's "Monet's Wedding Ring" pattern, NO curved piecing!

?) Sometime in the spring--move my sewing room from partially finished basement to upstairs room recently vacated by DD #1 who got married last summer. DH is after the basement room for his woodshop, so should have LOTS of help getting things moved! Looking forward to warmer space, more natural light, but not to the carpet on the floor. The room is not any bigger, but I think will be a better layout for my sewing stuff.

3) Finish queen quilt for Master BR. Top's been done for over a year, I've been putting off basting the layers together, my least favorite part.

4) Get my blog going and my on-line store up and running. This was supposed to happen when I quit my job last fall, but we all know how life intervenes. Don't ever expect to get rich, but it would be nice to be able to sell a few of the things I make, especially since everyone is always telling me I need to market my stuff.

5) Work on (not necessarily complete) one WIP every month. This way I won't get bored with any one project and will at least make progress.

6) Get started EARLY on Christmas projects--first complete the two I started this year and didn't get finished: strippy snowman tablerunner, and pinwheel pillowcases, both for me, which is why they didn't get finished!

7) I think that's enough to go on...

8) Oh yeah, post photos on QB of all the projects I finish!
Old 12-29-2012, 06:59 PM

My wish/goal list for 2013:
1. Complete one project/ufo per month.
2. Do 6 charity quilts not included in my one a month.
3. Work on Baltimore Autumn with my yahoo group applique addicts.
4. Go to Nana's Quilt Shop in Brookesville Florida and learn the Long-Arm. She will teach you for $140. Then you can rent the machine for $15 an hour.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:13 PM

In winter months I hope to focus on just one area at a time:
1. January-longarm quilting lessons and lots of PPP.
2. February-machine embroidery software lessons and complete projects using new techniques I've learned.
3. March-EQ7 lessons, develop quilt layouts to use up some of my stash.
Ongoing 2013:
Continue quilting charity quilts for guild (about 20/yr).
Quilt five tops from my growing stack of UFO's.
Start Christmas projects much earlier than I did this year.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 PM

I didn't set up goals for 2012 but will do for 2013. Here they are:
1- Make inventory of all the UFO/WIP
2- Box them for easy access- right now they are everywhere and I don't remember where I was at
3- Work on my UFO/WIP at least twice a week - I am a full time worker with an 8 yr old Son. Some weeks I don't even stop by the sewing room. I read a good tip, start for the UFOs that need less work- this way the sense of accomplishment will motivate you to keep going.
4- Will start and finish a quilt for my youngest Nephew- overdue. My excuse I don't have orange/yellow fabric.
enough!
andrea
Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM

I am so sorry to hear the news of your Father. I think you are right by staying busy. Horseback riding is great therapy in dealing with what life brings you. I miss my Mom and Dad and Brother, and 2 sisters. Also, lost my horse which I had for 18 years... Kinda lost interest in riding but love seeing the different competitions, especially dressage. I send my condolences to all on the board who have lost anyone this past year. It has been a hard year for so many in our Nation...

My goals:
1. continue organizing my sewing room. It was only a bedroom 5 years ago but has ballooned into a running over monster of all kinds of sewing objects, fabrics, pins, machines, baskets with stuff, shelves with stuff, etc, etc....
2. Go to as many Guild meetings as I can this year as I have cleared other things that had kept me from going.
3.Organize all my to-do quilts that are all coordinated fabrics but need cutting.
4. Begin constructing to-do quilts after organizing.
5. Control my impulses to jump from one thing to another and so I don't become "scatter-brained"
6. Start sewing!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 PM

Goals are good to set. For 2013, I'd like to get back to quilting. I started about 9 years ago, but haven't done much the last several years.
1) finish a quilt top that 9 of us shared blocks for
2) piece the Fractured Crystal quilt I bought fabric for several years ago
3) take a long arm class to quilt the 2 quilts above. I've run my first and last king size quilt through a sewing machine to quilt it. I often tell my wife that you need the right tool for the job- for quilting, that is a long arm, not a sewing machine!
4) get proficient using EQ7

BTW - some acronyms are commonly used that I'm not sure what they are. And I work in Aerospace where there are lots of TLAs!
UFO - unfinished object?
WIP - work in progress?
If so, when does a WIP become a UFO?...

And now that all these goals are being set, how does the accountability happen?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM

I would like to join in on the goals for 2013! I have already got the jump on my goals.
1. Not buy any more fabric unless much needed for a immediate project
2. Use up a lot of what I have. (working on it)
3. Make baby blankets for charities
4. Make lap quilts, cozy shawls for the nursing homes. (made 6 shawls this weekend)
5. Become more organized. (Did label and categorized some drawers and items today)
6. Finish the green lap quilt, top is done
7. Finish the Christmas lap quilt , top is done
8. Finish the King size 10 minute block, top almost done
9. Make 5 lap quilts for my co-worker buddies for Christmas. (in process)
10. Learn to use my embrodiery machine
11. Make stacks of potholders, embrodiery towels, etc for Christmas gifts.

I will print this off and post in my sewing room to keep me on track!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:32 AM

Please count me in.

My 2013 quilting goals
1. Quilt 6-8 quilt tops. These are tops already made.
2. Make 5 quilt tops for family members
3. Finish 2 quilt tops for paper piecing wallhangings, which I took classes for last year.
4. Complete Quiltville Mystery Quilt 2012, I'm only 5 parts behind.
5. start/Complete quiltingboard, planet patchwork, about.com mystery quilts for 2013.
6. Make top and quilt some guilt projects for charities.
7. Remember to enjoy process and not stress myself if it is not perfect.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:23 PM

Between health, decluttering and remodeling issues, my only goal for 2013 is to do something quilty for 1/2 hour each day. I'd like an hour, but some days, even that is hard to manage.