Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 day retreat!  Here I come! >

4 day retreat! Here I come!

4 day retreat! Here I come!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:48 AM

Lucky duck
Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I found that most of the gals (or guys?) at the retreats bring WIP with them and it seems that they get an awful lot done. I use to bring things from scratch, but after watching the others, I learned to bring my WIP and by the end of the retreats, I had a few quilts all finished (not quilted, but the tops done). And we spent so much time admiring everyone else's work and visiting and telling stories and laughing and eating and NOT sleeping much. Oh, how I love retreats!!! Have so much fun!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 06:12 PM

It sounds like you are armed and ready to sew! Have fun at your retreat. I've never been to one but I think I would like to try one.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:07 AM

Did you need a chair and iron? Looks like you have everything else covered. I usually carry all I need and end up buying to start another new project that I hadn't planned on. I just love retreats. I get a lot done if I work on small projects. Too much talking and laughing to get much more done.

Enjoy your time.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:13 AM

Congratulations and have lots of fun. Where is this retreat? I've never been on one and from your avatar it looks like it may not be far from me. Can you see the the green eyes shining? . LOL
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 AM

Have a great time!!! I LOVE retreats. Our guild sponsors two a year: a fall "No frills" one and a fancier spring one that offers mini classes if you choose to take them. Always a good time!!

Linda in MO
Old 07-23-2013, 07:33 AM

How exciting to be getting ready for a retreat. I'm envious. Went to a 4-day in Texas a few months ago and looking forward to going again in November. It's great to have nothing to do but sew, talk, laugh, sew, talk, laugh, sew all day for several days in a row. Have a great time at your retreat.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:42 AM

Jan, where is the retreat? Your avatar says Gulf Coast, and I'm in the Houston area. Four days sounds like heaven. I know you will get a lot accomplished. I made myself a portable ironing table from a wooden TV table purchased at WalMart. Covered it with 2 thin layers of batting, a piece of the Teflon fabric and muslin. It's just the right height to sit and press at. And I can set my cutting mat right on top of it if I need to trim. I smiled when I saw the plastic boxes, because that's how I keep my WIPs.

I am a member of two guilds and am going on retreat in September with one and January with another. Both are at the same place outside Navasota. Plus several of us are talking about doing a small group retreat at some point. There are several retreat centers in this area and we are checking into all of them to see what amenities they provide. I've been to a couple in Conroe and one outside Canton.

Misty's Mom -- One of the guilds I belong to meets in Atascocita, if that's not too far from you. You're welcome to come anytime. Check out our website at Peace By Piecing Quilt Guild.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

This sounds like so much fun!

Give us a report when you get back!
Old 07-26-2013, 12:05 PM

I got back yesterday afternoon - then napped the evening away, was in my pjs by 8 and in bed by 10 - that's early for me. Whew! I'm exhausted from so much fun. I got a full/queen WIP finished, 2 twins, 2 throws, and 3 pillow cases. I took everything cut - last year there was a cutting board hog so I learned to not plan on having a big space to cut. I had my 18X24 mat at the end of my table so could cut there when I needed to. There were 14 of us and we did eat, talk, laugh, and sew at all hours. I'm a night owl and one "night" went to bed at 5:30 AM! My dearest friend was my roommate.

The retreat is held at The Orchard at Caney Creek right outside Wharton, TX. This site is used for weddings, receptions, reunions, retreats, etc. It's a wonderful place! The lady who runs it and her mother both live on site and are both quilters. That's a bonus!

Our local quilt shop organizes the retreat - that seems to be an unusual thing. The Cedar Chest Quilt Shoppe in El Campo, TX is my LQS. The owner generally hosts 3 retreats a year - January, June, and July. This year it was January, June, and August. This July retreat was called the Teacher's Retreat because those of us who are teachers can't go in January or August. Of the 14 people at this retreat 9 of us are teachers.

Here's a pic of the pile I got done. When I get them quilted and bound I'll post them separately - don't hold your breaths!
Attached Thumbnails img_2306%5B1%5D.jpg