Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 yr old wants to sew >

4 yr old wants to sew

4 yr old wants to sew

Old 11-13-2011, 05:20 PM

Wow, your mom was both smart and thorough. Those are good ideas for beginners.

I start kids of any age with a 4 patch. I do the cutting, and they do just about everything else. The most important thing that is taught is RESPECT for the needle that goes up and down and doesn't really care if your finger is in the way! \
Old 11-13-2011, 05:30 PM

A good first project is a small 4 patch quilt. It's simple and quick and provides an early success. If you're worried about him pricking his fingers on a pin and getting discouraged, use elmers washable school glue sticks instead of pins.

I don't hand sew at all, so the kids learn machine sewing and machine sewing etiquette. The most important etiquette is to respect the needle as it goes up and down. We use the glue method to line up edges, and that seems very natural to them. So far, they've done a pretty nice job of sewing, and seem to enjoy.

The youngest I've started teaching a child is 6 and his first project was a 4 patch 'butt warmer' for his bird. He wanted to know if I cared that he gave it to his bird...I laughed and told him, no, it was his quilt and he could do what he wanted with it. I don't think the bird has ever seen the 'butt warmer', though.

For you, the most important thing is to be patient and alert. My Mom, bless her soul, used the 'here, let me do that method' to teach me sewing and that made me dislike sewing for a very long time. In her defense, she had 7 kids vying for her attention, so her need to get done quickly was somewhat urgent. We were no angels so there was always a crisis to resolve, if you know what I mean.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:37 AM

These are all great ideas.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:49 AM

My seven year old grandson was facinated with my sewing machine so I cut strips of black fabric and let him experiment with the decorative stitches in bright colored threads.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 AM

I taught 3 of my grandchildren to sew last year, on a regular sewing machine. My son and I devised a finger guard using a piece of wire that attached alongside the presser foot and covered the front and side of the needle. It allowed excellent visibility while protecting their fingers. None of them managed to sew through a finger. I made them all memorize how to thread the machine and bobbin. They had a lot of fun sewing on paper napkins while they were learning the basics.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:20 AM

I have been sitting with my kids since they have been about 3 years of age, sewing with them. My youngest is 4 right now and he likes to sew straight lines on fabric.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:32 AM

I started my 4 year old granddaughter sewing with 2 pieces of fabric and showed her how to use the sewing machine. Just let her stitch straight or use the fancy stitches. Whatever keeps their interest and increases their desire to continue.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by redturtle View Post
why not try the plastic canvas mesh...you can get the plastic needles and let the kids pick out a couple of their favorite colors of yarn...
I remember beginning my kids on the sewing cards that had a yarn shoelace to follow the holes with. Then they progressed to using material and thread.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:49 AM

ckcowl - how I envy you!!! My DGD is 3 and can't sit still for love nor money. My DGS is 6 but so far doesn't even know about grandma's sewing. He just knows he gets cool quilts, embroidered tee shirts, etc. I am hoping and praying that some day either or both will want me to show them how to sew. Neither of my dear daughters-in-law sew or show any interest in it. What your DGD made for her daddy is priceless....even after all those years. I love the pic of her at the long arm!! Thanks for sharing and it really does give me hope.

Diane
Old 11-14-2011, 11:03 AM

I just spent 2 weeks with two GD's, in Colorado Springs, that were born in Germany. (Their Dad is in the Air Force) They just came back to the States. Anyway, they are 8 & 10 & I got to teach them & my step daughter to sew while I was with them. They were so proud of the pot holders & microwave bowls they made with G-Ma. The 8 year old keeps saying "I got to sew with G-Ma" over & over. They are now making potholders & Microwave bowls for their teachers for Christmas. I also taught a GS to sew when he was 7 (now 22). It is so fun to see the pride in their little faces when they complete a project. A fast & easy project would be a small throw pillow. Just 4 seams to sew & then stuff.