Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 yr old wants to sew >

4 yr old wants to sew

4 yr old wants to sew

Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM

When my youngest son was 5 (now 29) he wanted to sew. I knew he wouldn't stay with it very long so I put in a used needle and gave him a peice of paper with lines. Told him if he could sew on the lines and still wanted to sew we would start a project. I sat with him and he did ok on staying on the lines but after he sew a few minutes he was off to something else. We did get to a few projects but his favorite thing was to sew on paper. He got real good at it. lol His favorite thing to do was cooking and he is a very good cook today.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kuusistoquilter View Post
Does anyone have any ideas of how to teach (entertain) ab 4 yr old who wants to sew with grandma? I have given him yard and thread to play with, but now he wants to learn how to sew? I have some felt, and all I can think of is teaching him the blanket stitch on the edge. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
When my oldest son was about 8 he wanted to sew, so I purchased a kit with large yarns that said Dont bug me, it had a large red lady bug on it, and the background fabric was a woven that looked like coarse linen, we had a good time learning the few stitches that the kit required. That was 42 years ago, and 2 years ago I came across it in the attic and remembered how many years it hung on his bedroom wall. I decided to take it to him last time we visited as I kid him now and tell him this was when he developed his sewing skills. Today he is a neurosurgeon. There are kits and then some of the books specifically geared to teaching young children to sew with projects galore. Try looking at See and Sew, or Of course you can sew. You could also cut out and use an iron on interfacing on some simple shapes like star or fish etc and show him how to blanket stich the appliques on something he can keep and display proudly.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:53 PM

I've sewn with both my godchildren, ages 4 and 6, and my nieces , age 3 and 5, sitting on my lap. They put their hands on top of mine so it feels like they are doing the sewing. I let them operate the presser foot, take out pins as we sew along, cut threads, and if they are lucky step on the foot peddle to wind the bobbin. I always give them a safety talk first and give frequent reminders as we go along. I've not had a bit of trouble with any of them. We've done some simple, quick projects together and they have really gotten a kick out of it. They are so proud of what "they" made My god-daughter likes it so much she can't wait for me to get the hand crank machine I bought for her to sew on cleaned up. I guess I know what to get her for Christmas this year!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:05 PM

One summer my niece and nephew were staying with me. It was too cold to go to the beach so we started sewing. I made both of them a sewing box then we looked at quilt books to find what they wanted to make. With some help we got them so the pieces were big and they went thru my stash and found what they wanted. We would do a little each day. My nephew and niece were 11 and 4 and they stuck with it.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:47 PM

at 3=4 my grand kids were pushing scraps through the machine. It had a speed control. I showed them the needle and explained that the needle only goes up and down here, so your hands are always away.

they came up with their own projects. like a little bag.

later about 6 was the first quilt. large 6.5" squares that I cut.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM

I bought a child's Singer sewing machine that has a plastic tube covering the needle so the little one cannot get the fingers under it. Found it at Goodwill for 3 or 4 $$$.

Can't wait for 18 mo old GGDaughter Charley to get bigger!
delma
Old 11-14-2011, 05:54 PM

I do not remember when I could not sew, long before I started kindergarted. First it was doll clothes by hand then SC brought me a little red metal machine with a hand crank which I still have but I did not like it. I wanted to use the one my mom had and I did. My dad was one who thought if you were going to teach a kid anything then he/she needed the proper tools to work with. He was a master craftsman and I had 3 brothers so they learned from him. As for myself Iloved doing what my mother did, and must say she was a saint for letting me use her machine as every time I did then she would have to adjust or do what ever needed to get it to sew for her. Like all kids I loved to turn all knobs. My
2 1/2 GGS is fascinated with my sewing. I intend to do as you suggest, large needle, knitting thread and a punchcard. They have to start somewhere.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:07 PM

I found a little plastic toy sewing machine for my 4 yo dgd. It had a broken needle in it so I took it out. The batteries were replaced and it sounded like a noisy sewing machine. I sat it on the dining room table and waited for her to visit. Here is how it played out:
She said Oh, gramma it is just awesome. Where did you get it?
I said I went shopping to goodwill and found it. It's for you!
She said Oh I love it! ....But gramma it doesn't have a needle.
I said I was worried...I think a needle is a little dangerous for a 4 year old, so I think when you are five I'll put the needle back in, but for now we can pretend there is a needle.
She said I think that is a good idea, because needles poke. So when I'm five I can have a needle right??

I laughed and laughed! She is so precious to me. I bought a "New" Featherweight. The little plastic one and that will be her machine. When she is 5. LOL! But for now she is content to push little squares of material through that little machine that makes enough noise to drive me crazy!! Every once and again she will say...when I'm five I get a needle, right, gramma?? LOL!!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:57 PM

I begged for a year before I got to start sewing classes at 8. Even then I was "too young" but the lady who was teaching the class made an agreement with me. If I promised to pay attention and do every task and assignment, she would allow me to participate. My first project was a sleeveless dress, with a set in zipper. I learned how to place the pattern on the grain (and WHY!) why you follow directions, and I learned just how much fun a seam ripper is when you don't!

My Grandmother (who raised my sister and I) just could never get over the whole "fear factor" so she was never able to work with me and the sewing machine. That didn't stop me, I loved sewing and all hand crafts! I learned to crochet with thread at 7. My Great GrandMother was a firm believer in Doing is Learning. She gave me hook, thread and a sample bit of lace to "read". I made enough lace to put on a pillowcase (remember THOSE days?). GGM had an OLD Singer, will all the fun feet that were ever made for it. It was a special day in my world when I was allowed to use her machine to finish a project!

I would suggest that you assess the interest level of the child, start with big dull needles, burlap or plastic canvas is good and if the interest stays, nothing wrong with learning the rules and best practices around the machinery! Good luck and have fun. Making lasting memories is the best part.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Teach him safety first. Children are a lot smarter than you think they are. Start slow and then you will know how to progress. Make it fun, but not too challenging or easy. They like to see result like the rest of us. Have fun