Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 yr old wants to sew >

4 yr old wants to sew

4 yr old wants to sew

Old 11-12-2011, 02:33 PM

I don't have granddaughters, but if I did I would let her make clothes for her dolls. My daughter loved making her doll clothes.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 PM

Years ago, Together my grand daughter and I cut out squares of soft wool (I also rug braid). I gave her a round pointed large needle, and let her stitch them together by matching the cut ends together. (She was a bit over 5 years old) We used left over dmc thread, diffirent quantities of threads, she changed the colors alot. The needle went through the wool easily. She learned to use her finger width as a seam guide.The squares were about 8", some more, some less. The quilt is still being used by her aged cat, that project was over 15 years ago. She didn't get the quilting gene, but she is in college now, junior year, getting ready for vetenarian school.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:56 PM

When I was young, my grandmother let me make my own pillows. She'd give me two pieces of fabric, I'd cut them into the desired shape, hand-sew them "pillow case style," turn them right side out, stuff and close them. They were pretty hideous pillows, but it really taught me the basics of sewing at an early age. I agree with the person above who wrote that a simple needle prick is not so worrisome, as long as the child isn't being reckless.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:09 PM

My first sewing lesson was two months past my third birthday while my mother was in the hospital having my baby brother and my grandmother showed me how to sew to keep me entertained. I remember sitting on the floor at her feet sewing up the sides of a very simple jacket for one of my dolls. It wasn't too much later that I "sewed" by sitting on her lap at the treadle machine while she helped me guide the fabric. She did do the fabric cutting for a short time but I was making simple doll clothes completely by myself by the time I started school.

I don't remember ever poking myself badly with the needle or pins, but as others mentioned, you could start with mesh and yarn with a blunt needle until she gets the hang of it.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:32 PM
Power Poster

boy, i'd teach him to hand sew first. sewing squares together for you to finish on the machine. no way i'd let him near the machine though.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:43 AM

I learned at 4 yrs old, now 68 and have many machines including embroidery. Just learned to quilt a few years ago (couldn't for the life of me figure out why anyone would cut up a perfectly good piece of fabric just to sew it back together again!) hehe but life is a learning process. I still have the Singer featherweight I learned on. Mom would take out the thread and make me follow the lines on the old writing paper with wider spacing. Then I drew stars and circles (sort of) and followed those lines. When I got good enough that she felt I could graduate to follow lines and seam allowances she let me thread the machine! I remember she wouldn't do it for me...and it took some doing but I learned. Eventually I was making my own clothes in Jr. Hi, by High school I made prom dresses. Now I sew for others. I have made drapes for a theater, leather chaps for 4H group and 75 square dance dresses all custom fitted! Every time I sit down I thank my Mom, long since gone. My daughter has her bigger Singer, and sews some, but granddaughters are intriqued and watch when they visit. Maybe they will catch this bug, I am so very glad I did. Sewing has kept me sane, made me some money and given much pleasure to my friends and family with the products I send. Please please please, everyone mentor a blossoming sewer! Linda
Old 11-13-2011, 09:42 AM

My DGD wants to sew also. I bought a "Girls Only" Pink and Purple sewing Machine that is battery powered with a foot control and has a needle guard to protect her fingers. She has her charms that she picked from my stash, and we are slowly sewing them together to make a doll quilt. She runs the foot pedal, and help guide the fabric. Her little machine has good feed dogs that sew rather straight. She is 3 1/2 y/o. Not every visit do we sew, so this doll quilt may take awhile. The Pink and Purple machine was her idea and her favorite colors.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:45 AM

I sewed with my grandmother at that age. I made doll clothes and clothes for my poor cat. I had a pillowcase full of scraps to work with and I just love remembering. My 6 yr old GD and 8 yr old GS just finished their first project. His was a pillow with a star on it and hers was a pillow with a heart on it..started them on applique and they loved it. They sewed it to their clothes a couple of times and the stitches are really funny but it was so much fun. They are ready to do another for Christmas presents for their parents. Guess you can tell I LOVE BEING A GM!!!
Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 AM

I know I have read that very young girls started off hemming hankerchiefs etc way back when. I was about 5 or so when my mother started teaching me to embroider. I am sure I poked myself a few times, I still do, but I survived. There was no childrens yarn boards etc that I remember . But the time I was 7 or 8 I could do all the basic stitches of embroidery. My son sat on my lap at age 4 and I showed him how to put the fabric through . I had a Viking that I could slow down the speed on and I used the controller. He was thrilled to have helped make his clothes and such. :-)
Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM

When my twins were 4 and they showed interest in my sewing, I helped them make place mats. I took a place mat size piece of fabric and put basting spray on it. Then I laid a piece of batting on top of it. I then put basting spray on the batting, making it slightly sticky. I then dumped my scrap bin on the floor and gave them each a pair of kids scissors. They went through the fabric and cut up pieces of the fabrics they liked. They laid those pieces on top of the sticky batting until it was completely covered. I then took it to my machine and FMQ'd the placemat. There were raw edges everywhere, so I did a lot of FMQ. I then put a binding on it and they use it as their placemat!