Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 yr old wants to sew >

4 yr old wants to sew

4 yr old wants to sew

Old 05-17-2011, 10:23 AM

I taught my Pastor's son to hand quilt, he helped me to make some very tiny stitches in the quilt I was working on, did about 10 inches or so all by himself. He did a realy good job. I think he was about 7 or 8 at the time. It is amazing what children can do when you give them a chance.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Kuusistoquilter
Does anyone have any ideas of how to teach (entertain) ab 4 yr old who wants to sew with grandma? I have given him yard and thread to play with, but now he wants to learn how to sew? I have some felt, and all I can think of is teaching him the blanket stitch on the edge. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
Three of my DGK started sewing on the machine early. the youngest was 4 and she sat on my lap at my old singer machine. She made her first quilt at 5.
We also have a group here that meets over the summer called a Buddy retreat. You bring kids to lean to quilt.
If you start him now and teach him the safty tips he can quilt with you. My oldest GK is 13 and he will still quilt with me.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:38 AM

A few years ago I helped out with crafts at our local primary school....I did a project with a class of six year olds which was great fun.
I got them all to draw a picture on an rectangular piece of fabric about 12x18 ...then I set it with an iron, put some wadding behaind it and then got them to sew some detail on it using the sewing machine and coloured threads, some added sequins etc....one young boy who really had little concentration did a beautiful happy sun ....so we drew some sunglasses on him and filled them in with squiggly dark stitches....I remember him being so proud.
I then made cheap colourful frames from bright thin cardboard and we hung them all round the classroom....they all looked brilliant.
Most of the children had never seen a sewing machine, let alone usd one, but loved it, changing the thread and pushing the foot pedal and choosing stitches......it is sad to think that health and safety would probably not allow that kind of activity now !
Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 PM

Another thing you can do is give him yarn and plastic canvas. The needles can be the blunt pointed ones.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:03 PM

My daughter is 2 and helps me "sew" she picks up colors and pushes the foot pedal down. She's getting good at the treadle too.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Just last week my 4 yr old DS asked me to teach him how to sew. I had no idea how to get him started. We bought yarn and I tried to get him to weave but he wasn't interested. Now, thanks to all of you, I know where to begin. Off to Joann's.....
Old 05-17-2011, 01:28 PM

I love the button sewing idea. My 4 yo GD loves playing with the blocks of fabric I have in a box. She picks and I or her mom sews. She loves seeing the blocks get bigger the more we add. I'm taking the blocks to the design wall next time she visits. I think she will love sticking them on and making designs.
Good thread!!
Old 05-17-2011, 01:45 PM

Cut out a simple shape out of felt, and teach him to use a running stitch to sew two together....when he's close to being done, stuff with fiberfill and help him finish it. Then he can use permanent markers to decorate it....and have a stuffed animal/car/square/whatever that he made himself.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:03 PM
Power Poster

When my son was 4 he sewed buttons on a tote bag to give to a group home - they were'nt very critical and he loved doing it.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by teacherbailey
Cut out a simple shape out of felt, and teach him to use a running stitch to sew two together....when he's close to being done, stuff with fiberfill and help him finish it. Then he can use permanent markers to decorate it....and have a stuffed animal/car/square/whatever that he made himself.
That reminds me, before i could sew on a machine my mom would let me sew two squares together by hand.Then she would fill it with corn/beans and make a beanbag for me to play with