Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 yr old wants to sew >

4 yr old wants to sew

4 yr old wants to sew

Old 05-17-2011, 08:36 AM

I started my son out with making small pillows.At first I cut them out and he later began cutting them out in different shapes.I have aften wished I had kept at least one of these.He was about 4 years old.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 AM

I have to keep the grandkids out of my sewing room.They say its just the coolest room they have ever seen.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 AM

What a sweet story--it brought tears to my eyes. Thanks so much for sharing it. I should have referenced what I was talking about--but it is the little girl who made the quilt for her daddy. Grandma, you had a lot of wisdom and patience on that.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. We just spent 45 minutes of him sewing on felt pieces with a fairly dull needlw with a large hole. He was able to thread the needle and also follow along a drawn line with a running stitch. He was so proud of himself. He can't wait to show mommy what he did at grandma's. I have him for the whole day every other thursday. This will stop when he goes to Kindergarden next fall, but he loves going to all his grandmas. He has three.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:59 AM

I taught 3 of my grandchildren to sew on a machine, they were ages 9 and 7. They started out sewing on paper napkins. I made them all learn how to thread the machine correctly because I knew I wouldn't always be there to help them.

At 4, threading the machine might be a challenge, but if the child wants to learn something, he or she CAN master it eventually. :D
ETA: My son and I devised a finger guard so the kids wouldn't sew over their fingers. It was fairly simple, was done with copper wire.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by AngieS
My lil girl is 3 and is always wanting to sew. :) I'm afraid to give her a needle yet though. I'm afraid she'll poke herself. Are you all using a special needle or anything?
Pins got the name 'Pokies' due to my kids and grandkids working with real pins and needles.

I started one of my kids out at 6 and one at 3 and have also been working with my grandkids beginning at 3 to operate a machine. I have helped them draw a pattern on newsprint for an apron, pin it and cut it out. Then, we work on the machine to sew it. Usually I have them stand in front of me (this way they can reach the pedal and operate the sewing machine) while I help them with my hands also on some part of the fabric as they guide it through. They all have tired somewhat quickly. So, I try not to be in a rush to get our project done. Also, I have used notebook paper to draw lines on and have them follow the lines with the machine without it being threaded. Pivoting with needle down is one of the things I show them and then let them practice on the notebook paper. I love doing this. And they do also!!!!
Old 05-17-2011, 09:39 AM

OK Grandma, he wants to sew, let him but make sure its something he can take pride in showing off - not just a piece of fabric.
Boys like treasures, so lets make him a little drawstring bag that he can put all his tiny treasures in (marbles, hot wheel cars, little army men, superheroes, etc) Measured about 5X7 finished. Boys love that stuff.
A oblong piece of felt is perfect, Let him stitch around three sides and run a shoestring around the top for closing. He can sew by hand or you can guide those tiny fingers on the machine. Over the years I've held 4 granddaughters on my lap while they "sewed on Nana's machine"
Have fun, enjoy the time
Old 05-17-2011, 10:04 AM

My twin grand daughters, 2 years old, like to sit on my lap while I "soap" (sew). They have to take turns, which is also a good lesson, because I can't hold them both at the same time. But they like to put their little fingers on the fabric and "help" me guide it through. When they are a little older I will have them help me pick out fabric and start making their own quilts. This is so much fun for me because their mother hates sewing!
Old 05-17-2011, 10:11 AM

these are some awesome tips! I looked up how to teach your child to sew on a machine one day... the instructions said to use felt or foam, start him/her off on the machine with no needle in, let her get used to raising and lowering the pressure foot, let her run the 'fabric' through without any needle several times, then when you are content with her grasp, put the needle in and thread it, have him/her do it agian, this time with threaded needle. Takes about 30 minutes to teach your child how to sew on a machine, and they can make a neet little purse.. really simple. just mark the sewing lines on the felt or foam (foam might be easier to handle for a 4 yr. old. I wasn't able to do this when my daughter was 4, but she is 6 now so I will have to give it a try. Sounds like a very good plan.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:14 AM

My 5 year old is learning to quilt using a slow speed on the machine.
He loves it. He was helping me when he was 4.
Went to a sewing machine store on day - he told the lady you have to put this lever down to sew. The Pressure foot lever. :thumbup: He looked at all the machines and came and announced the one I should get is the one that makes the ant (Pfaff machine with a 9 3/4 in space) Can't remember the number.