Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
4 yr old wants to sew >

4 yr old wants to sew

4 yr old wants to sew

Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Kuusistoquilter
Does anyone have any ideas of how to teach (entertain) ab 4 yr old who wants to sew with grandma? I have given him yard and thread to play with, but now he wants to learn how to sew? I have some felt, and all I can think of is teaching him the blanket stitch on the edge. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks
If you look up the old "Samplers" from the 1700's on up, you'll find that they were made by children learning to sew and read at the same time. 4 isn't too young to learn to sew - may be very uneven stitches, but go for it. Teach him to embroider. I taught my son when he was about 6 to embroider.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:54 AM

I keep a quilt on a frame most all the time. When my out of town GD and GS come to visit, the first thing they want to do is QUILT! I started by letting them pull the needle through the quilt with several stitches on it. I explained how to keep the needle threaded, and now how to make tiny stitches. They both really enjoy it and of course, the proud Granny just loves it. They are now seven and four, and are quite good. The bonus for me, is that they can both THREAD THE NEEDLE for me.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:01 AM

You might want to check out a machine with a start/stop button on the machine itself - to be used with a finger!

I have a Brother that I love, and it has that feature.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
my youngest granddaughter was 4 when she made her first quilt...we started with a little people (toy-singer) it did a simple chain stitch- and was more aggrivation than worth- i went shopping, found an inexpensive Brother machine that had speed control on it...i think that is a very important feature on a machine a child will use.
she already had her own stash of fabrics...she laid them out on the floor how she wanted them- she worked as if on a design wall- picking up 2 pieces, sewing them together- replacing them, taking next, ect...
some of her seams were 1 1/2" wide, some were 1/8" wide...i did not criticize- or make her change anything- it was her project...
it meant everything to her- her daddy had just been deployed and she was afraid he would forget her...
she even printed her favorite picture of her daddy holding her- onto fabric and included it in the quilt-
when she got the top done i tipped a dresser onto it's side for her to stand/walk on and she used the long-arm to quilt it
we did a folded binding (back to front) so she could do that part too...
the only thing i did through the whole project (took her 4 days) was
i pressed any fabric she felt needed ironing-
and i loaded the quilt on the big frame- she was not big enough to help with that...
she used scissors and cut her own fabrics...
and 6 1/2 years later- daddy is getting ready to deploy again...and that quilt still travels the world..and is looking pretty good.
Wow, that is just awesome. I'd love to see that little quilt that Dad still carries with him.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:53 AM

I have taught children to sew. I usually start out with paper that I draw lines on. Take the thread out of machine and help them learn to sew on the lines.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:57 AM

When my Grandson was 8 he would sit on the couch between my legs and sew. I'd put my hands on top of his and 'help' guide the fabric through the needle. I DO NOT let him use the rotary cutter, but he does pin the fabric together. He also went shopping in Grandma's quilt room to find fabrics for his dinosauer quilt. Nothing feels so good as having your Grandchild interact with something you love to do. That's what memories are made of.

I'd get a dark piece of felt, drawing sewing lines on it using a white marker, get a darning needle and yarn and some buttons with big holes and have him sew the buttons on and sew along the lines. He will see progress and maybe you can make something to include his handywork on.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:01 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

was browsing for my own patterns and found these cards for sale ! sewing cards.

http://patchworksewingbasket.com/index.php?pages_id=7
Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 AM

gave my GD those printed cards with holes punched in them. They use a big plastic needle and yarn. We worked on them over and over and she got the hang of it, along with alot of knots but she felt like she was sewing. Now shes almost 9 and I gave her a small machine last year for her birthday.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM

I let my grandchildren use the featherweights. They love to quilt with grandma. They have been sitting on our knees when we quilt from the time they were born. 3 already enter their projects into the fall fair. 9 years old and younger. The 17 year old sewed when he was smaller but would sooner be outside now then sewing.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:25 AM

I let my grandchildren use the featherweights. They love to quilt with grandma. They have been sitting on our knees when we quilt from the time they were born. 3 already enter their projects into the fall fair. 9 years old and younger. The 17 year old sewed when he was smaller but would sooner be outside now then sewing.