Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: !5 minutes a day challenge

Blog Entries
    I did my 15 minutes of quilting yesterday and today. I'm already falling behind on my 15 minutes of organizing. Good thing it's only a little after one o'clock here.

I need to squeeze in a fleece blanket everyday for a while or it'll be Dec 24th and I'll be in world of hurt. Plus at least four aprons.

What a great suggestion. I am a newby and I am slow at this hobby, but I can sew several strips together in 15 minutes. Thank you, thank you for this suggestion!

Hey we're talking about it warming up to the 20's. It's all perspective. Hope all your tests come out okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by IBQLTN
    I spent 15 minutes about 8 times last night! But, I was just 'straightening' things up as they were a mess. I haven't done much since my auto accident in August and I'm way behind! Had an MRI today, hopefully it won't be anything more serious than pulled muscles and ligaments!

I can actually find the various presser feet I had just tossed in the drawer and located FIVE seam rippers ... I wondered where those went and found THREE sets of marking pencils! My cutting table is now ready to go, I have one handbag cut out and am ready to start sewing tonight! It feels GOOD!!

Just one thing though, all those tutes I've been printing out? They are all piled up in a mess on the 'other' side of the sewing room. I figure I can organize those while I watch TV.

Peggy in burrrry Jacksonville, FL
    (It's going to be in the 20's tonight!)

I've been putting in my 15 minutes. It's all been getting things put back in my sewing room and not sewing, but hopefully soon will be back at it. It's driving me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
    I've been putting in my 15 minutes. It's all been getting things put back in my sewing room and not sewing, but hopefully soon will be back at it. It's driving me crazy.
    You are 15 minutes closer to your goal than you were at the beginning of the day. GOOD WORK!

Hmm, this might be what I need. I "think" I can manage 15 minutes...

You hit the nail right on the head with, "I can be unmotivated or tired and don't feel like it." After a day at work, getting dinner ready and eating, I'm pooped! Especially when it's been dark since late afternoon.

Of course, having places like this to visit doesn't help, lol. Just tried to list a couple of things in the classified section, but they were deleted as I haven't posted enough in the last two weeks. Well, I assure you, I might be "lurking," but I sure do manage to spend a lot of time here, lol.

So 15 minutes it is! Actually, I might even make it the first thing I do when I get home, rather than after dinner. We'll see how it goes!

Did 15 minutes quilting am keeping a chart and if I fall behind a day will add 5 min to next 3 days!

Sounds good to me. Count me in for at least 15 minutes a day. But mine will have to be at night after I get home from work. It might even relax me.

Quote Originally Posted by quilt queen 2
    Did 15 minutes quilting am keeping a chart and if I fall behind a day will add 5 min to next 3 days!
    Have you heard: If you miss eight hours sleep in one night, you cannot gain it back in the next evening ???
    The point is to strive to do at LEAST 15 minutes every night ... some nights, you will be able to do more, some nights you will not be able to do any ...
    but STRIVE to do 15 minutes ...
    the secret is consistency and commitment

Great idea, I'm in.

BTW, I have a book by Nancy Zieman called, 10-20-30 Minutes to Quilt. Maybe now would be a good time for me to pull it out! (Well....maybe after I finish all the things I have planned for Christmas.) ;-)

DJ
    That's such a fantastic idea! I often do it with larger projects I need to do. I commit to at least a few mingutes, or a piece of the project, and before I know it, it's done. I spend most of my days working on craft projects, so I don't need this particular challenge, but will applaud and encourage those of you who are doing it! It will work!

I'm totally in, I can't remeber the last time I sat down at the sewing machine and I'm really missing the feeling I get after I have completed even a small part of a project.
    Thanks for the challenge.

I'm in. I have a project that I just can't seem to get into the mood to work on it. It needed to be finished by Christmas. Don't know if that will happen but maybe the 15 min a day will help finish it. Thanks for the motivation. I am in!!

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    This is working!! I pick up that quilt and quilt it for 15 minutes or longer. I'm keeping it out so that I can just pick it up while I'm watching TV :)

Quote Originally Posted by Colorful Quilter
    Me Me Me I do work on something related to quilting just about everyday, whether it be sewing, cutting fabric, looking thru quiltig magazines, reading thru this board...Often when I am watching TV, I will sew when the commercials come on as my machine is only about 10 ft. away, and as you said, you would be surprised at how it can all add up..I feel like my sewing is a sort of therapy for me. I will often listen to my MP3 player with Christian music while I sew. Sometimes the time flies by and I have to remind myself to eat etc, by the way Happy Quilting!!!
    Reading this board is not a challenge! Well, maybe it is -- to stop at just 15 minutes and do some real quilting! Still, I'd have to agree that it is therapy too.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    LOL!! I need to commit to NOT quilting for 15 minutes a day!

You are all doing so well!
    And, Riversong, you do seem to be a bit of an over achiever, but I can just feel the joy in your work - - I just wouldn't worry about practicing NOT quilting in your case. God created us humans to produce, and you are PRODUCING! Good for you!

Kas
    Heck. It takes me longer than that to just get my space cleaned off! I need like an hour and fifteen! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Heck. It takes me longer than that to just get my space cleaned off! I need like an hour and fifteen! LOL!
    ooookey, dokey! I do have a word of encouragement for you ... in your case, I suggest you set your goal at one block a day!
    or ... storing fifteen pieces of fabric a day OR ironing scraps for fifteen minutes ...
    working spaces are the hardest to spend fifteen minutes in and feel like you have accomplished anything, However! Just start breaking it down ...
    oh, wait! If you have to clean off your space and what you are cleaning, clearing, organizing has to do with quilting, and if you do that for 15 minutes, then!
    You have absolutely started to participate in the 15 minutes a day challenge

I'm brand new to posting (I've been lurking for a while), but this challenge prompted me to start posting. I'm in! Thanks for the challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathcart
    I'm brand new to posting (I've been lurking for a while), but this challenge prompted me to start posting. I'm in! Thanks for the challenge.
    Welcome aboard!
    We can hardly wait to have you posting regularly of your successes and journey.

okey dokey. The challenge started on the 30th (more or less). That means you now have done 1 hour and 3/4 of another hour on quilting for the week. I'm still cleaning and sorting, but I'm getting there. It's really a drag. Ready for your next 1 hour and 3/4 of another for this coming week??? Quilters, start your machines!!!

I think I'll give it a try! Life has been challenging lately and I think the 15 will do me good!

Thanks for the reminder, I have heard of doing this before, but this time I'm really going to give it an honest effort.

OK 15 min in the morning before work and 15 at night while dinner is cooking and I've finished a twin quilt top for my Dad for Christmas. Now just have to quilt and bind and I can mail it to him in Idaho. Thanks for the challenge I'm getting a lot more done this way.

Sometimes I go weeks without going in the sewing studio because of my work schedule. I will commit to the fifteen minutes and see if that helps.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast