Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: !5 minutes a day challenge

One block a day suits me. Wanna start posting pix of whatever suits us?

I learned this method years ago after my twin sons were born. Being a new mother, I found that I just didn't have time to sew for more than a few minutes at a time. So, I started doing just one thing--maybe just one seam in a skirt or pants, etc., but at least I felt like I was accomplishing something. I was amazed that I could actually finish something doing it like that, but ever since I have organized my projects and always have something I can work at even if it's only 15 minutes. After many years of sewing clothing, curtains, etc., I started quilting eight years ago. I absolutely love it, and now since I have lots more free time--I'm retired now--I often sew for long periods of time.

Count me in!

Jill

Quote Originally Posted by Kas
    Heck. It takes me longer than that to just get my space cleaned off! I need like an hour and fifteen! LOL!
    HA! HA! I have a sholder that is killing me, I read your post and it cracked me up laughing...now it hurts worse..HA! I jiggle when I laugh! HA! BUt I'm like you, it takes me that long to get prepared to do anything!

I forgot to say I'm in, if I can stay off here long enough!
    I can't work anymore so other than some cleaning and taking care of my critters I should be sewing!

I'm in too! Especially if sorting and storing count! And I am going to get some chain piecing ready first!

I need to come up with a graph or chart or something, with room for notes on what I worked on. Or maybe just a calendar with big squares. Seeing reminders of my progress would be helpful. I could look at it and see what I accomplished even if I feel like the finish is far off.

The good news is, I more than met my 15 minutes today! Blah, tomorrow I have to go to work. It's not so much going to work that annoys me, it's the 8 hours before I can leave again!

I'm in too! Love this idea. So many days I walk by & just get sad because I'm too tired or sore. But really, it's 15 mins. I can DO this. I spent several 15 mins this afternoon working on my first applique project. Got about 5 more blocks to finish & then on to the next step. It was very peaceful & relaxing :)

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    One block a day suits me. Wanna start posting pix of whatever suits us?
    I think pictures would be very encouraging!
    I just got a package ready to ship to Operation Stork. I didn't do but 2 of the blankies, but the package had 6 packages of Q-Tips, 15 double flannel receiving blankets, and 5 fleece blankies. That means that I have a bit more space cleared off of the chair (not my sewing chair) now to go make my kitty a bit happier.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Sounds like a good therapy to me and so often we get caught up in life. I am starting tomorrow as well. Hope we all tell how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by peaceandjoy
    I need to come up with a graph or chart or something, with room for notes on what I worked on. Or maybe just a calendar with big squares. Seeing reminders of my progress would be helpful. I could look at it and see what I accomplished even if I feel like the finish is far off.

The good news is, I more than met my 15 minutes today! Blah, tomorrow I have to go to work. It's not so much going to work that annoys me, it's the 8 hours before I can leave again!
    This is a really good idea!
    Have any of you happened across the phenomenon of having the 15 minutes clear, but not sure what to do?
    When you chart your actual, you begin to see a pattern, and next thing you know - - you will be charting a course to follow for days to come (I guess - - the squares must be pretty big)
    Or ... I have a printmaster program that sets me up a calendar by one week to the page. With two colors of ink, you can plot progress and plan forward

OK, I started committed. Spent the first couple of days working on sewing room so I wouldn't feel overwhelmed by the chaos!

Friday, I got my purse handle pieced, batting and interfacing fused in and sewed three rows of stitching.

Saturday, well, here's how my day went. 8:00 a.m. Weight Watchers with DH to learn about the changes to the program. Got another 5 lb sticker as I have now lost 96.2 pounds total! Then we went to breakfast at IHOP. (We always treat ourselves after weight watchers.) I got egg substitute, ate 1 strip of bacon, and both pancakes with sugar free syrup. All in all, not too bad on the points. From there we went home for 1 hour then back out to drop hubby off at church for a meeting and then off to run errands. I wanted to get some ribbon at Hobby Lobby and then go to JoAnns the hardware store, target and then back to pick up hubby.

Well, does spending almost 2 hours at Hobby Lobby count s sewing time???? All their fall and holiday fabric is 50% off! I bought enough to make 4 bags including a rather realistic-looking faux animal print. Then I went to Lowes and bought some white pegboard to put up in my sewing room so I can get 'more' organized. Never made it to any of my other stops and was 15 minutes late picking up hubby! Then wound up meeting with our pstor for about 30 minutes while I was there.

Sunday was filled with conducting the choir, breakfast with church friends, then taking DH to the grocery store (BIG MISTAKE). We didn't get home until 2 p.m. At 3:30 had to return to church for a leadership meeting, then met with music dept, finally home at 6 p.m. and my neck from the accident was really hurting so popped a muscle relaxer and no sewing again last night. but I DID organize some more of my tutorials and then sat with laptop and my Quilting Board friends until I was about ready to fall asleep with keys on the computer ... then remembered I had clothes in the washer. By the time I finished drying and hanging those it was midnight. Since my day starts ast 5:45 a.m. ... I went to bed!

Will try and do better tonight.

Peggy in COLD Jacksonville, FL

Well I got to a slow start but about to venture into Focusing on Fifteen. Went to my cart, picked out some nice florals, made my diet A&W (usually coffee but have a craving for the soda instead). Dogs let out to potty, back in now and I'm off to see what I can do! Probably stay at the macine until Days Of Our Lives comes on...Sorry, I'm addicted!

Quote Originally Posted by Cuilteanna
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Does browsing the quilting board count? LOL
    hahaha.. If so Im waaaaaaay over my 15 min a day goal!
    I'd love to see the statistics of how much time I spend on quilting sites! My best guess would be a couple of hours per day. Even though I'm not a frequent poster I do a LOT of reading!
    Me too!

Yesterday and today I've simply spent my (way over) 15 minutes mindlessly sewing together 4-patches. I have no idea what I'm going to use them on, but I'm using up some of my scraps. Now I want to go cut more squares :) . However I'm going to force myself to change gears and work on an apron I have had cut out forever. Back to the 4-patches tomorrow. Or maybe I'll get smart and actually pull out one of my UFOs and work on that instead.

The 15 minute a day challenge is about using that time to CREATE and ponder quilts/quilting apart from the time on this Board.
    The Board time does not count (If I am wrong, speak now, or forever hold your peace! ) ...
    If you spend 15 minutes picking out the fabric for your next quilt (or more) that counts!
    The point is: spend 15 minutes a day FOCUSED on working on the quilting project - - some phase, even if it is lining up the next project.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathcart
    Yesterday and today I've simply spent my (way over) 15 minutes mindlessly sewing together 4-patches. I have no idea what I'm going to use them on, but I'm using up some of my scraps. Now I want to go cut more squares :) . However I'm going to force myself to change gears and work on an apron I have had cut out forever. Back to the 4-patches tomorrow. Or maybe I'll get smart and actually pull out one of my UFOs and work on that instead.
    This is exactly how it works!
    The idea is to get your mind focused and then your "muse" takes over ... like my dad said: Sometimes, it was one square foot a day, sometimes I got more done ... but the goal was always that one square foot a day
    Good job!
    And, by posting here on this thread, we will make friends on the Board - - that tends to happen when people start spending time together

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Does browsing the quilting board count? LOL
    I hope so!

Blog Entries
    Well I don't know if I'm getting off to a disastrous start or what. I've only been able to sew 1 day since I committed but I also sewed a good 4-5 hours. Seems like something is always getting in the way!

Just keep your eye on the goal

Yesterday, I sat down at 2PM, after Days of Our Lives...Finished up on some blocks, cut and started on some new and even worked on a UFO and wound up staying at the work table for 6 hours! I don't have as much to do as a lot of you so I feed the dogs and grab a sandwich and I'm refuled to go another round. About to start again, to cold to go out and do anything else!

Blog Entries
    I'm taking your challenge. Thanks Sandy

OK think this is helping got 3 15 min quilt times yesterday now have less handsewing to do on quilt binding also cut some scrap 2 1/2 inch squares from extra binding!

This actually works with a lot of things. I study piano but I have a hard time committing to the hour a day I need to practice. I started giving myself 15 minute windows( usually the amount of time I give my son as a break between homeschool classes). I find that if I get that first 15 minutes, then I often WANT to do another, and another, and another. Next thing you know I have that one hour completed--plus!

Steady and consistent practice makes you better at almost anything.

This is definitely helping me! I feel good about making progress on my quilting again. Thanks for suggesting it, Janie! :D

Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    15 minutes means I could oil my machine or change a needle. May I have more time, mistress?
    MINIMUM 15 minutes anything more than that may not be added to tomorrow's account, but if you can do more than 15 minutes, I am sure you will be highly applauded and appreciated!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast