Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: !5 minutes a day challenge

Since I accepted the challange on Jan. 3rd., I finished 2 small quilts for Children and Youth Services. a sweatshirt jacket that I started almost 2 years ago and made a Valentine wall hanging. There were a couple of days that I was unable to do anything, but for the most part................my 15 minutes turned into..................2 hours, or more. I love it!!!!!! :thumbup:

Thanks for the idea. Just knowing I can find 15 mins to work on a project keeps me motivated.

Blog Entries
    I agree. This past week I took a class and made the cutest little sewing kit/bag for all of my hand applique stuff and I'm taking it to work with me and during my break I have it ready to work on my block. I do back basting so it's all ready for me to work on. I like quilting with the machine but I also like the quietness of hand work as well.
    Judy

Great idea! I did not want to quilt today; but I can do it for 15 minutes. I'll bet once I get started, I'll quilt longer.

15 minutes quilting; 15 minutes gardening; 30 minutes Bible studying. I'll commit.

I also stand by the 15 mins a day rule! I tell my students that you can get a lot accomplished in just 15 mins a day. I know it sounds strange but as you say it really does add up. I do practice what I preach! Luann
    Live Love and Laugh Enough!

I need to challenge myself to do 15 minutes of something other than quilting every day. LOL my house looks like it too.
    Some people visit paradise, I live there.

Just what I need!!

I'm in, but can only commit for 6 weeks. At that time I will begin a new class (still in college) and will need to study every minute possible.

Began a D9P project last summer and so far have only cut the squares, no sewing at all. Perhaps I can do one 9 patch a day!
    Tomorrow I must stop procrastinating.

Blog Entries
    15 minutes doesn't sound like much but it adds up. Sew a few patches. Make a block. Attach a border. Bit by bit it gets that project done.

My New long term project is making enough Yo Yo's for a Queen bedspread. So 15 minutes (at least) working on Yo Yo's a day!

I'm in, from across the pond.

Annie

Blog Entries
    I'm late to the party, but I think this is a great idea. I'm in.

Blog Entries
    Ya know, this might be a good idea! I try each day but it seems that a lot of days go by before I actually get to it. I know lots can be done in just 15 minutes. Thanks for the idea!

I'm in. I have so many UFO's that I need to finish up. but new projects just keep popping up. DH just got back from Alaska with 3 beautiful wall hanging patterns. I am already picking out the fabric for them. But I need to finish 2 tops and finish MQ another.

The best thing to do is to have a small project that you can chain piece through your machine. If it's cut and ready, you can get a lot accomplished in little bits every day.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

WOW I'm so glad I found this post a few weeks ago. I agreed with myself to try 15 minutes a day (Mon-Fri) 3 nights a week. I'm shocked at how much I have gotten done!!!

So glad you posted and challenged us.
    Carrie, Queen of the Seam Rippers!

I don't have a problem doing something quilting related every day it is all the other stuff, and boy do I use the I just have to start and spend 15 minutes, for the taxes/bookkeeping, laundry, bathroom, vacuuming - everywhere except my studio, oh and cooking.

Count me in!

Wow I had to get to page 17 just to jump on this train! I like Carrie Cs idea of so many days in the week. I need something like this to get going and stay going. I have chair cushions for my friend that are so overdue and a couple of other projects for others besides all I want to do for my home. @ least 15 minutes 5 days out of 7--here we go!!!

I've only just seen this thread, but I decided to do this a few weeks ago, and it's already really paying off - I'm finally making some progress with my UFOs and am following Leah Day's Quilt Along, where I'm learning so much. My promise to myself was an hour a day to do something creative (I have the luxury of the hour because I'm retired and live alone). It's given priority - if I have a busy day, and can't get through all my usual routines, this is the one thing I'll try to get done. I'm also putting more on my blog, and lots of ideas are sparking in my brain. I've been told for years that if I'm serious about creativity, I have to do something every day, and it does seem to be true. I feel so much better for spending more time sewing and writing, and there's a great sense of achievement.

Blog Entries
    I work full time and I don't have any trouble meeting my 15 minute a day goal on the weekend (I usually sew for hours on the weekend) but during the work week it can be a problem. Sometimes I wimp out with the excuse that I'm tired and I won't be able to concentrate as well, but when I started my first lap quilt 3 weeks ago I told myself that I had to get at least an hour of sewing in every night during the week to get this done. So I would get into my sewing room about 7:00 p.m. and I usually ended up staying until 9:00 p.m. every night and I felt good about it and the sewing that was done was good, not a lot of mistakes and ripping. Last night I didn't start sewing until 8:00 p.m. and I stayed until 10:20 p.m. I was really proud of myself for sticking it out last night and not wimping out with the "I'm so tired excuse." I'm almost finished with my quilt. Tonight I sew the binding onto the front of the quilt and tomorrow I put the label on and I'm calling it done. Then I can move on to other crafty projects I have swimming around in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by annthreecats View Post
    I work full time and I don't have any trouble meeting my 15 minute a day goal on the weekend (I usually sew for hours on the weekend) but during the work week it can be a problem.
    That's quite an achievement. I worked fulltime till a year ago, and though I really did try to find time to sew, I struggled - but felt much better when I managed it. It felt as if at least some of my life was still my own! (I didn't enjoy my job).

I've been doing this and it usually turns into at least 1/2 an hour. I am actually finishing things.

Blog Entries
    It is going great so far! I don't know why the housework should be done, do you?

I do!!! actually i average about an hour a day...getting things done!! youpee!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JanieW View Post
    This idea is not originally mine.

Challenge yourself to do something quilting related for at least 15 minutes a day.

Lots of days most of us get caught up with life and don't get to sew or quilt. Why bother if you can only do 15 minutes.

If you set your goal to 15 minutes, it is easier to accomplish. Often I can be unmotivated or tired and don't feel like it. But I say well I can manage the 15 minutes. It is surprising how much can get done in a week at that rate even if it's only cutting or chain piecing or organizing your stash.

Lots of times the 15 minutes morphs into an hour or more.

It has been surprising to me how pyschologically beneficial this has been for me since I accepted this challenge.

Do I sew or quilt every single day for 15 minutes? No of course not, but I get lots more done over time since I started this than I did before.

Anybody with me?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 LastLast