Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
6 1/2" by 24' OE 8 1/2" X 24' ruler???? >

6 1/2" by 24' OE 8 1/2" X 24' ruler????

6 1/2" by 24' OE 8 1/2" X 24' ruler????

Old 05-29-2018, 09:33 AM

6 1/2 x 12 1/2" is my favorite. I like to make 6" blocks and small hangings and cannot enjoy dealing with a long, wide ruler although I have one.

Depends very much on what size projects you like to work with.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:02 AM

I also have both of CG rulers and I use both of them. I have been replacing my rulers for Creative Grids as I can see through them better than any of the rest out there and they don't slip as much.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:00 PM

I have both, and I find them to be very useful. I, too, tend to use the 6 1/2" more, but when you need the 8 1/2", this is a really good item to have. In terms of sliding, the longer the ruler (not necessarily wider), the greater the chance of sliding. I just take my time, moving my hand from center to top as I cut. However, I've seen several videos in which the person cutting fabric with these rulers places a 3 lb. weight (weight bell) on the far end of the ruler and it doesn't slide at all! Creative Grid rulers are,by the way, wonderful! Alas, both my 6 1/2" and 8 1/2" X 24 rulers are Omnigrid and i just have too much money tied up to replace them with the Creative Grids ones. Best of luck in your decision making!
Old 05-29-2018, 05:37 PM

I have no opinion about the size, which I think will vary according to what you need to cut at any given moment, but I have to say that Pat Speth's video in which she demonstrates the use of a piece of thin foam shelf liner to keep rulers from slipping has been a real game changer for me. If you haven't tried this, do! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4042cAxo5aY The only method that has worked as well as that for me, with any ruler at all, is coating the back with rubber cement, but that's so much more bother and looks icky after awhile because threads and lint stick to it. I don't attach the shelf liner to my rulers. I just keep a 12" X 4" piece of it on the cutting table and put it under any ruler as needed. It's a fantastic discovery. That shelf liner drove me crazy on shelves where it keeps dishes and cans from sliding when you push them, but I'm glad I kept a bit of it for the sewing room.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:21 PM

I have both sizes. Don't use the 8-1/2 often but there were a few times I needed more than 6" & putting 2 together for the extra width did not work well. That is when I slip. I have also gotten a few of the Quilters Select rulers & really like them.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Schill93 View Post
I want to replace my 6" x 24" ruler to buy a Creative Grid one of which I have others and like. I am torn between the two sizes. I work mostly with yardage but seldom have had need for making cuts 8 1/2". My block cuts would usually be smaller cuts.

The only thing I can think of is making 8 1/2" strip cuts sometimes. What are your feelings on the benefits or negatives of either one. Does the larger size seem to stay put better without sliding, or the other way around for that matter. I need to decide today in order to take advantage of a 20% discount at Connecting threads.
I realize I am late with this -- off in Florida on vacation -- but I think the size of ruler that is comfortable depends somewhat on the size of your work table. I recently broke a ruler, and almost bought a 6"x24" replacement before my husband dragged out an unused one of that size. I'd forgotten I had it. My go-to size for cutting strips of any width is 5"x24". I have a 3"x24" that is useful for 2-1/2" strip cutting, but for the rest, 6" or 8" is too wide. I am using an old door as a workbench, and have tons of other stuff "stored" on the surface, so I think that is why I choose that size. Apparently, I am alone in that. . .
Old 05-30-2018, 08:03 AM
mac

Since I have purchased nearly all of my rulers when JoAnn's had a 50% off (or more) coupon, I have a lot of different sizes of rulers. The larger ones (8.5 or larger) I use mostly at home. However, since I go to the senior center to sew, I find that I take the rulers that will fit in my rolling sewing case, which are the 6.5 rulers. In either case, I usually use two rulers to measure, rather than using the lines on the cutting mat. One ruler that I use a lot is the 6.5 x 24 Lipfa ruler. I like this ruler because it will fit on the edge of the cutting mat or if you are cutting a stack of fabric, you can fit it up to the edge of the fabric and I always know that my cut will be perpindicular to the fabrics edge. I hope that I didn't make that last sentence clear as mud and it made sense to all.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
I have no opinion about the size, which I think will vary according to what you need to cut at any given moment, but I have to say that Pat Speth's video in which she demonstrates the use of a piece of thin foam shelf liner to keep rulers from slipping has been a real game changer for me. If you haven't tried this, do! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4042cAxo5aY The only method that has worked as well as that for me, with any ruler at all, is coating the back with rubber cement, but that's so much more bother and looks icky after awhile because threads and lint stick to it. I don't attach the shelf liner to my rulers. I just keep a 12" X 4" piece of it on the cutting table and put it under any ruler as needed. It's a fantastic discovery. That shelf liner drove me crazy on shelves where it keeps dishes and cans from sliding when you push them, but I'm glad I kept a bit of it for the sewing room.
the solution to slipping is easy, get the slide lock rulers.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:54 AM

I love my 8 1/2 and don't know how I got along for so long with just the 6 inch.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:32 AM
Administrator

another option for curing ruler slip is to buy Omnigrid Invisigrip.
one roll can be used to de-slippify several rulers.
that one roll will cost less than one good ruler.

no more slip.
no need to spend money on new rulers.