Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The 830 LE and bobbin >

The 830 LE and bobbin

The 830 LE and bobbin

Old 05-07-2015, 08:48 PM

Default The 830 LE and bobbin

Help-- My Bernina 830 is constantly having bobbin (upper tread breakage) problems with regard to the embroidery section. I have had it at the shop more than home use. Any tips would be appreciated as I have gone through all the recommendations, i.e., correct thread type, check bobbin threading is done right; slow speed; oil, check for loose threads. I am working on an embroidered and pieced quilt for our grandbaby.. Need help soonest. many thanks.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:34 AM

Did you check the automatic thread cutter? Small threads sometimes get caught in there. You have to take a tweezers and pull them out. I, too, have problems with the thread breaking when I am free motion quilting. It has helped using a poly thread and larger needle. If you need help getting to the thread cutter, PM me.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:41 AM
Power Poster

A guild member bought the same machine and is having the same problem. The last guild meeting her machine was back in the shop for the third time. She was not happy.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:25 AM

I would take it back to the shop along with some supplies and stitch out there - see if they can figure something out. My mom has this same machine and hasn't had any issues, but hasn't really started with the embroidery part yet.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:59 AM

These machines were notorious for having issues when they were released. I would join a yahoo group and find out what the people that had these kind of problems did. Also I have seen it mentioned that the key to getting it fixed is having the right dealer who really knows what they are doing. Thats where I would start instead of here because there may be only a few here that actually have that machine.
Old 05-08-2015, 07:55 PM

Chiquita Cruiser - where do you live? Is there another Bernina dealer you could take your machine to for help? If not I would try your dealer once more and try to actually stitch out your design in the shop so they can see exactly the issue you are having with your machine. If they are no help then I would notify Bernina company directly by email - these machines are supposed to be top of the line and are much too expensive to not work properly.
Old 05-09-2015, 05:25 PM

I have the hardest time copying the title of the thread on my IPad. Actually, I am not able to do that. Go into the advanced search and put in Bernina 830 fixed!!! And you will read all about my problems with the 830 and how I got it fixed. It is running beautifully now and is a joy to use. I am diligent about cleaning out the bobbin case and oiling the machine. Are you sure you are putting the thread behind that little spring which is above the needle? Are you the original owner? Have you had problems with the embroidery and thread breakage before? The company changed the hook in the bobbin case on all the 830s after about an year and a half because of all the problems. I do use the Organ titanium needles, which I love, and Superior thread, generally cotton for piecing and FMQ and a trilobal polyester for embroidery. No rayon! I also do play around with the the tension. My machine is running so well, I am really scared to take it in for servicing. I really want to stay there and just have them take out any dust bunnies from up on top that I can't get to and do updates. That's it! I never want to go back to where I was. It was so frustrating and I was so angry at myself for spending all that money. Now I am doing the happy dance! I sure hope you get it fixed!!
Old 05-10-2015, 08:13 AM

What? Thousands of dollars spent and you have to fight the dealer to get a working machine? The machine should be working perfectly right out of the box. From what I've read here and on other groups, the new Berninas have fallen way down on my list.