Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
? about Featheweights >

? about Featheweights

? about Featheweights

Old 04-15-2011, 08:22 AM

If I ever to decide to sell the one I have I will be sure to post it here to let you all know!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:08 AM

if you go to singer.com and type in your model number, you can download a manual for any machine they ever made.
Originally Posted by Sewflower
Thanks for all the information. I just bought one for $50. that has a cabinet. Don't know the year. Where do I find that information? Is there any place I cna find an operation manuel?
Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
Originally Posted by TFquilter
I have a 221 FW...love it..I just purchased a 1/4" foot for it; also am going to have the foot pedal changed...they (the shop) will keep the original 3 prong plug-in etc., but will make a new foot pedal (all one piece)...I will hang on to the original one...I am not fond of the original foot pedal..anyway, do love my FW though..:) I purchased it several years ago for approx $400..
I wasn't fond of the original foot pedal either until I learned that you sew with your heel on the button, not your toes. Billy told me that and since I've started using it the right way, I don't have any problems.
Boy that sounds interesting, I'm going to try it with my heel on the the button.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:38 PM

Feather Weights are beautiful. There is only black, and mint green (actually cream, and not a myth) They all have serial numbers, either on the front, usually on the bottom (of the machine, not the case) Singer has a web site that you can go and check the serial numbers, and they have listings of where and when they were made, and how many machines were released that year. There are also feather weight machines that are open armed, and some have a fold down extended bed. The local sewing machine sales shop/ quilt shop that I work in still services these machines and we see at least one a week. We all stand there and stare at this beautiful little machine, that still sews as straight and true as the day it was made. Some are still in their original case, complete with instruction manual and all the attachments. These of course are worth more. We always check the serial numbers, just so we can tell the owners how old their machine is, and where it was made. Most of them don't know, they just got it from old Aunto so and so who doesn't use if anymore etc. One thing you have to know tho is if it is a Singer Feather Weight, ONLY use Singer Needles. Singer needles are actually a little longer than the rest. All singer machines are built to accept only singer needles. This includes all singer machines, right from the first machine they made, right up to date machines. A lot of Singer machine owners come in, and are having trouble with their machines, until they find out they are using the wrong needles. Any ways, have fun with your search, and good luck. I don't own one yet, but if I came across one for less that $50 I might pop for it. I already have two old regular singer machines, the oldest was made in Elizabeth Port, New Jersey, it is the portable version, HAND CRANK, with the original curved wood carring case, it was made in 1912. Fairly rare, it was left in the basement of a house my parents bought in 1972, I've had my eye on it since then, and finally received it in 2008. The other one is a treadle with cabinet, it was my mother in-laws. I received it in 2001. Both have very sentimental value. Both are straight stitch only, with the funny bullet type bobbin, and both in working condition. I hear the hand crank models are very popular in the third world countries where there is no or little electricity. Hope you enjoy your hunt for you feather weight. Auntie B in Saskatchewan, yes, spring has sprung, and now we are all busy bailing water from the spring thaw, and guess what, tonight it is snowing like crazy !!!!!!! Go figure !!!
Old 04-16-2011, 05:19 AM

[quote=Auntie B]Feather Weights are beautiful. There is only black, and mint green (actually cream, and not a myth) They all have serial numbers, either on the front, usually on the bottom (of the machine, not the case) Singer has a web site that you can go and check the serial numbers, and they have listings of where and when they were made, and how many machines were released that year. There are also feather weight machines that are open armed, and some have a fold down extended bed. ho doesn't use if anymore etc. One thing you have to know tho is if it is a Singer Feather Weight, ONLY use Singer Needles. Singer needles are actually a little longer than the rest. All singer machines are built to accept only singer needles. [gently snipped]

Auntie,
You forgot to mention the tan Featherweight, made for a
short time from 1961-62.
My Featherweights(3) all work much better using Schmetz needles as the current Singer branded needles can be iffy
on quality. I use the Schmetz needles in all of my Singer machines, the newest one I own is from 1968, the stitch quality is wonderful.
Here's a picture of my tan featherweight.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719anVMRT
Sharon W.
Old 04-16-2011, 12:08 PM

Your FWs are beautiful. I think I'm in love with the tan one! It's gorgeous!! I will never part with my three little black beauties. Featherweights Forever!!
Old 04-16-2011, 08:32 PM

[quote=purplefiend]
Originally Posted by Auntie B
Feather Weights are beautiful. There is only black, and mint green (actually cream, and not a myth) They all have serial numbers, either on the front, usually on the bottom (of the machine, not the case) Singer has a web site that you can go and check the serial numbers, and they have listings of where and when they were made, and how many machines were released that year. There are also feather weight machines that are open armed, and some have a fold down extended bed. ho doesn't use if anymore etc. One thing you have to know tho is if it is a Singer Feather Weight, ONLY use Singer Needles. Singer needles are actually a little longer than the rest. All singer machines are built to accept only singer needles. [gently snipped]

Auntie,
short time from 1961-62.
My Featherweights(3) all work much better using Schmetz needles as the current Singer branded needles can be iffy
on quality. I use the Schmetz needles in all of my Singer machines, the newest one I own is from 1968, the stitch quality is wonderful.
Sharon W.
I just noticed something on your machines. They don't all have the gold scroll pattern on them.Is this because they're newer?
Old 04-17-2011, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Greeter Eva
[Auntie,
short time from 1961-62.
Sharon W.
I just noticed something on your machines. They don't all have the gold scroll pattern on them.Is this because they're newer?[/quote]

The camera flash makes it look like the black machines have no decals.
My black featherweights have decals, the 1951 centennial model has the old style decals, the 1957 has paper clip(newer), the tan machine has no decals.
Sharon

centennial Singer badge, 100th anniversary of the Singer sewing machine company.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185452[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185446.jpe  
Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM

What is "freecycle"?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by kitsykeel
What is "freecycle"?
its a yahoo group where people give stuff away for free.