Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
accuracy--Am I too critical? >

accuracy--Am I too critical?

accuracy--Am I too critical?

Old 07-30-2014, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Anne P View Post
As others have said, Nope - not perfect, not by a looonng shot! But it is getting easier and better. I am currently working on a fall wall hanging that has 8 Maple Leaf blocks and 36 Flying Geese blocks. I've tried to be really, really careful each step of the way for all the blocks and it's paying off.
I'm convinced starch (or Best Press) is awesome, as is very accurate cutting, pressing, and sewing. I bought an 1/4" edge foot for my Bernina last winter and it's made a huge, huge difference for me.
As for ripping out seams, I do rip and re-do if a seam is more than a little off. I don't think I've had to do it more than twice, and that's really rare. I do use pins if I need to, and I sew very slowly, using my awl to feed the fabric through carefully.
I have been known to toss a block and make a new one from scratch, but haven't had to do that in a while. Be patient with yourself, relax, and enjoy the process. As they say, Rome wasn't build in a day!
Funny you should bring this up today ! I just finished 4 blocks our quilt guild has for our next meeting. (this is block # 6) My ripper and I are well aquainted today! I have been told I am too critical of my work. I have been at this for 3 years now and am getting better at accuracy. I do wash my material before using it, I have learned to be careful in my cutting and the 1/4 inch seams are very important. I am trying to do this present quilt carefully so I can enter in the next years local county fair.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:29 PM

Hi Kitty
I obsess over this too. It is like a horrible haircut that pre-occupies you. I do the piece again or I will not like the quilt.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:14 AM
Power Poster

For me I have accepted the fact that everything is not going to be perfect. If I am happy with results I move on. To many things I want to do to try and be perfect.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by Kitty10628 View Post
I obsess over my seams lining up. Sometimes I rip the seam and try over and over and over!

Is your piecing perfect?
never sewed a perfect, but no one has noticed so far
Old 07-31-2014, 10:36 AM

I am not a perfect person and my seams are not perfect either. I try, we all need a goal, but I also do not obsess over perfection. That would take away all of the joy of the project. This morning I did some ripping and resewing to make some corners match better. The emphasis is on better. Some did end up perfect and some were close enough. Guess I am a middle of road kind of gal.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:10 PM

When I am ripping I try to ask myself, "Am I having fun?" If the answer is no then I find something else to do or let the imperfections be. After all, quilting's supposed to be fun not frustrating and stressful. If I have to be perfect at it, then its too stressful. I believe totally in the supposedly Amish mantra of only God makes perfect things.Relax and enjoy! No one will ever notice those slight errors after the quilt is quilted
Old 07-31-2014, 05:20 PM

I try to be as accurate as possible, with cutting and seam allowances and still it doesn't always work out perfect. Only God is perfect, but when quilting, I try to get as close as I can. Takes a LOT of practice
Old 07-31-2014, 06:11 PM

The original post could have been written by me . I enjoy the precision . I can buy quilts with mismatched seams at most retailers . I want my quilts to be the best that I can do . Sometimes I get stressed about the mistakes . I wish I could let mistakes go . I will be your friend in the precision lovers club .
Old 07-31-2014, 06:26 PM

I admire perfection I see in the work of others, but can live with small imperfections in my own work. Guess I am a little lazy? Don't sweat the small stuff anymore!
Old 08-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by gshalom View Post
Friend who started me on quilting said a rule of thumb is "If someone riding by on a horse can't see it, leave it alone.". I use this as a determinant if I should redo something.
I LOVE that comment. How refreshing...a new way of looking at it. Great!!!