Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
accuracy--Am I too critical? >

accuracy--Am I too critical?

accuracy--Am I too critical?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes I will rip seams out if they are seriously wonky; but I won't let myself demand perfect seams, as I do tend to be a perfectionist. That said, I know my piecing isn't perfect, but it's close enough for me and the longer I quilt the better I get at lining up my seams. I don't know anyone who has one of my quilts that will check the quilt that closely, so I need to lighten up and quilt for the joy of quilting and less on being perfect.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:01 PM

I am a quilter with disability. I make a lot of mistakes, especially when the fibro fog sets in. If it is something large like sewing my blocks together wrong, I will fix it. If it's something small like my seams being a tiny bit off, I don't worry about it. If they are off 1/4" or more, I will fix that. Anything less and I don't worry about that either.

Of course I try to do my very best, but if I required perfection of myself, I'd probably still be working on my first quilt, rather than the 100+ I have made and gifted to those in need of special quilt comforts.

Not one person has ever rejected a quilt or complained of it's small imperfections.

I am not perfect, and trying to make perfect quilts would take away all the fun and pleasure I get from making them and would have prevented a lot of happy people from having quilts that I have made for them.

Perhaps if I were in business and charging people for the work, I would feel differently about it, but that isn't why I quilt, and never will be. It's not something I want to do, and I'm pretty sure it would be out of my league. LOL.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

If after ripping and resewing three rimes, I give up and move on. No one will notice. Precision everything works the best. Most times I can't do it. I am still trying to make a perfect quilt and after 136 quilts, lots of comforters, biscuit quilt and such I still can do perfect. I think if I keep trying I may get closer. I am my worst critic.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Third time is a charm. If it doesn't match to suit me after the third re-do, I either re-cut and re-do, or let it go; whatever mood I am in at that given moment--no one has ever said anything about my l/8" out of whack seam; and that is all I will allow before I will redo. But I haven't done serious points, so I may be speaking out of my league here--wait and see. When I get to the point that I am talking to myself, I just quit for the day, and go cook something.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:52 PM

I do try for accuracy but quilting is supposed to be fun!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
Life is too short and you shouldn't be at war with yourself over an imperfection.
I agree, if someone is going to criticize if every seam lines up, they can make their own quilts. My unmatched seams are design modifications! haha
Old 07-30-2014, 05:45 PM

I've enjoyed reading all your opinions and want to add mine. I'm new to quilting (sewed garments for decades) and the need for accurate cutting and seaming which sounds easy but is proving difficult for me. So many variables in achieving accurate seams and making blocks that fit together. I'm currently working on a quilt that is giving me tons of practice in developing these skills. And I am ripping and sewing, ripping and sewing until I get it right because I think if I can develop accuracy as I go, then maybe it will be close to second nature to me as I become more experienced. For instance, I've learned that I will have to get better before I can do chain sewing. I tried that at first (it looked so easy) and I was amazed at how off my seams could be. After ripping all that I sewed in one day, I started making and measuring one block at a time. That helped with my sewing accuracy and showed me my cutting had not been as true as it should have been; did some re-cutting. Also tried 3 different feet (2 different kinds of 1/4" and 1regular) before I decided which foot worked the best. Of course, I tried various needle positions with each foot. So there is a lot to know and be careful of just to get the 1/4 inch seam. Sorry to be so long winded, but this subject is using up my brain cells these days

Last edited by jeanharville; 07-30-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:09 PM

Long ago when I was working on my degree, I observed that it took a measure of OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) to complete advanced work. You have to work hard, work consistently, and really care about the outcome.

But there were people for whom NOTHING was ever good enough: those who could not hand in a paper without agonizing, who were never satisfied with any of their work, and who, in the end, could not complete their final thesis for fear that it wasn't perfect.

There is such a thing as too critical about accuracy - and I would say that if it keeps you from completing things, if you are harsh about your work in a way that you would never be harsh about others' - you might want to reassess. Perfection is impossible.

As as bearisgray pointed out, often "good enough is good enough."
Old 07-30-2014, 06:48 PM

I am sure trying to have this type of perfection. Less seam ripper time and effort, less pinning (I would love to have master control of finger sewing, and back up "glue."
Old 07-30-2014, 07:10 PM

As others have said, Nope - not perfect, not by a looonng shot! But it is getting easier and better. I am currently working on a fall wall hanging that has 8 Maple Leaf blocks and 36 Flying Geese blocks. I've tried to be really, really careful each step of the way for all the blocks and it's paying off.
I'm convinced starch (or Best Press) is awesome, as is very accurate cutting, pressing, and sewing. I bought an 1/4" edge foot for my Bernina last winter and it's made a huge, huge difference for me.
As for ripping out seams, I do rip and re-do if a seam is more than a little off. I don't think I've had to do it more than twice, and that's really rare. I do use pins if I need to, and I sew very slowly, using my awl to feed the fabric through carefully.
I have been known to toss a block and make a new one from scratch, but haven't had to do that in a while. Be patient with yourself, relax, and enjoy the process. As they say, Rome wasn't build in a day!