Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice is needed please >

Advice is needed please

Advice is needed please

Old 11-23-2010, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by sandy12010
I have these wildlife pcs of fabric that was given to my husband along time ago they have buffalo, rams, and other different ones but the people that had them before had cut them but did not cut them square.so they are way off and I want to make a quilt or something with them but not sure how to straighten them without messing up the animals on them...As soon as my camera charges up I will post a couple pictures of them and then maybe someone could give me some advise...Not sure if I posted this in the right place See how close they cut it on the right side of the fabric...
thanks
Are they all the same size? Perhaps you could choose a brown or green and sew sashing around each to square them individually. Then plan a quilt where the blocks are of different sizes and off set the blocks kind of like staggering them the way bricks are laid. ps love your gray. :D
Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 PM

What's the size of the actual picture... Maybe by squaring the pictures up and using triangles ion all 4 sides would make it look more interesting, take a color from the prints like a soft green... and use that... I also had animals and made a Bear paw quilt for m son years ago...

Rob's Bearpaw quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]132794[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-132789.jpe  
Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 PM

I appliqued those pictures on the light background..
Old 11-23-2010, 04:51 PM

I used strips around my blocks to make them all a uniform size and it looks like it was supposed to be that way. The
basket blocks are sorta 6 1/2" and the 9 patch blocks are
6 1/2", I didn't want to make any more blocks and the finished blocks are 9 1/2".
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...45965719MqTIac

I did the same thing with the bird blocks in this quilt, they were from a block of the month drawing and they weren't all the right size.
http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...45965719TMBNue
Sharon W.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:33 PM

No they are not the same size most of them maybe but they are all off cut..thats the way they were when my DH got them
Old 11-23-2010, 06:52 PM

sometimes when I come across this type of situation I add a boarder around the whole picture trying to square the picture as best I can. Then I will square out the whole block using the added boarders. Like someone mentioned you could do the Wonky type blocks if they are way off but I find most will square up fairly well without much trouble.

One other thing that helps is it to try and use a fabric that blends into the picture's background so it doesn't catch the eye as quickly. If that doesn't work I go the opposite direction and you a fabric that really makes it stand out. You will need to play with each picture to see what works best for each one. They don't all have to be done the same to work well together. Similar is good.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:06 PM

Adding an accent boarder might really help to compliment the pictures.
Good luck
Old 11-23-2010, 08:30 PM

Have you thought about cutting out your squares and making them into a shadow box quilt? That would definitely bring attention to only the animals and not the background if you have to cut most of it off to square them. Just an idea. Good Luck. I'm sure hubby will love it no matter what you do.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:45 PM

http://www.kayewoodtv.com/ktv/

Try the link above and click on the video that is entitled "Fussy Cut Diamonds" and you will get an idea of how more interesting effects could be made from your animal pictures, and perhaps you could use a giant cube as the centre piece to a medallion quilt.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by sandy12010
ok thank you will try to trim what I can of the white the only thing is they are not all the same size so its going to be tough but I think with all your help I will figure something out...some of the pictures where it is green on the one I got posted some of the others have a blue instead of green
thanks
Maybe a "modified" log cabin...one side can be wider than the other and you might end up with rectangles instead of a square. I could probably work something out with that.