Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice is needed please >

Advice is needed please

Advice is needed please

Old 11-23-2010, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by sandy12010
ok thank you will try to trim what I can of the white the only thing is they are not all the same size so its going to be tough but I think with all your help I will figure something out...some of the pictures where it is green on the one I got posted some of the others have a blue instead of green
thanks
Can you find a batik or blender with both the blue and the green in it? Trim squares however you wish, add a frame, THEN make them all the same size.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:21 AM

Originally Posted by amma
I have around 50 of them. I think the person that had them before put a piece of material on the back and then slit it and stuff the picture to make it stand out that is what one of the ones I got has on the back of it and is stuff a little. but I dont want to do that
My grama made quilts like that in the late 60's early 70's :D:D:D

You can trim them so they all show just some white around some of the edges. Don't worry about some of the sides with the greenery :wink: just keep enough white around the animals so they don't get cut off.

Then measure them, figure out the difference between the smallest and biggest square.
Add different colored sashing strips to each block (green on one block, brown on another, etc) in a width to bring them all up to the same size.

If your largest block is 6", add 1 1/2" sashing strips to them (9" block).
If your smallest block is 4 1/2" add sashing strips 2 1/4" to them (9" block).

You can pick out a few widths of sashing strips, sew them onto the blocks and then square them up to 9". Unless you want to measure them all out :wink:

You can lay them out randomly, and the blocks will be offset, none will line up perfectly, but that is ok, it is the style now :D:D:D
Great advice. This will make it work into a beautiful work of art.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:31 AM

I do beleive it is a small world indeed, I am also in Ohio,I don't know if you know the story behind these blocks or not. If not they could have came down the line and I may have had them for a while. Years ago my former boss was moving to Maine, She gave me and another co-worker several huge trashbags stuffed full of various scraps, unfinished projects, ect,etc. I know their was bunches of these blocks that I held onto for probably 10 years or so and them passed on again to another. I am not sure if they are the same ones but it sure sounds like from the descripion that they were. Just thought it was cool if it is true:)
Old 11-24-2010, 11:10 AM

I have ran into that problem,I found a fabric that looked like wood grain and made picture frames. :D
Old 11-24-2010, 11:16 AM

I have these wildlife pcs of fabric that was given to my husband along time ago they have buffalo, rams, and other different ones but the people that had them before had cut them but did not cut them square.so they are way off and I want to make a quilt or something with them but not sure how to straighten them without messing up the animals on them...As soon as my camera charges up I will post a couple pictures of them and then maybe someone could give me some advise...Not sure if I posted this in the right place See how close they cut it on the right side of the fabric...
thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 11:18 AM

I would put strips using a narrow seam on the sides and then offset the blocks with maybe a nature tree type patter between the blocks to make the top. Use the nature material for the back. These are beautiful just from seeing one. I would like these myself.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 PM

Agree with Amma - the latest trend seems to be quilts with different size blocks - put together in rows or columns and no matching of "squares"
Old 11-24-2010, 10:41 PM

Maybe you could make them into attic window blocks. or frame them like a picture frame, with other blocks in the quilt not framed. This way they would spotlight themselves. Just a thought, perhaps you could possible make them in some sort of round block.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 AM

If the blocks aren't square, there is a technique you can use, and that is to cut the sashing over-sized ... then, set the block square and trim the whole thing square ... usually, in a length, the difference from one end of the sashing to the other is negligible. <wave>
Old 11-25-2010, 10:17 AM

I had a friend who found those in a thrift shop and she asked me to make her a quilt. I used a very simple setting. I cut all the squares to an equal size and went from there. You could even log cabin frame them. I don't remember exactly what I did for setting but it was simple.