Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice of Washing or Not Washing Garage Sale Fabric? >

Advice of Washing or Not Washing Garage Sale Fabric?

Advice of Washing or Not Washing Garage Sale Fabric?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I would absolutely wash it. There has been such a rash of bed bug outbreaks...
Wow, I was insanely freaked out and overcautious about bedbugs when we went on vacation this year, but it never once occurred to me that they might be hiding in pre-owned fabric or something else purchased second-hand. But now it seems so obvious! Thanks for the kick-in-the-butt.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:36 AM

I have to say, I would not buy fabric from any source that I even suspected might have bugs of any kind. I have bought fabric from some sales around here lately, and if they ever had, or even saw a bedbug, lol....I would be shocked.

Consider your source. You know where you got it from. Just to be on the safe side, send it for a ride in your dryer. It's the heat that kills them...you can't drown the little devils, lol. Do let prospective buyers know where you got the fabric, and that it was not washed.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM

I read 160 minutes of high temp.

Originally Posted by Tartan
You could go directly to the laundry mat and put in the hot dryer for longer than 30 minutes. This is what I read that 30 minutes of heat kills bed bugs? That is the pest I would be most worried about.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:25 PM

On my last vacation I brought up the issue of bedbugs with the hotel. They were so aghast, like I insulted them. Looking at the bedbug registry.com they are widespread, and some people here (on this board) have bought things they regretted bringing into the house . One gal had paid for 3 fumigations after bringing an easy chair into the house.

I went out of my way to tell the host that I did not suspect her hotel of bedbugs, but you "never know", and she was totally unaware of the situation.

I told her the hotels I stay at, like her high class hotel, have had issues.

Oh, bottom line, I think to be responsible -- I would wash it before I re-sell it.

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
WOW, all these posts certainly make my decision easier!! NOT!! LOL

I guess the "bedbug" thing is what worries me. I was recently at the convention center/hotel in our capital city...the only one that can be used for large gatherings. I didn't stay overnight at the hotel but my friend did and she found a bedbug in her bed. YUCK!!!!! She reported it to the manager and they "offered her a free breakfast"! The event director also told the hotel when she was settling the event charges and all they wanted to know was the room no.!!! It's sad!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by auniqueview
I have to say, I would not buy fabric from any source that I even suspected might have bugs of any kind. I have bought fabric from some sales around here lately, and if they ever had, or even saw a bedbug, lol....I would be shocked.

Consider your source. You know where you got it from. Just to be on the safe side, send it for a ride in your dryer. It's the heat that kills them...you can't drown the little devils, lol. Do let prospective buyers know where you got the fabric, and that it was not washed.
Bedbug infestation has nothing to do with class, or money. I stayed at a $350 night hotel in Morro Bay, CA. and the room was infested with bed bugs. Just because you live in a high class neighborhood does not make you immune to critters.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:00 PM

Wash all of it, please! Like others on this post said, you don't know where it has been.
Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 PM

Wash!
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nanamoms
I know the washing/not washing fabric question has been discussed in depth but my question is regarding some fabric that I bought at a yard sale. There is some very nice fabric in the bag (like some that was just listed here for sale) that I know I won't use. I would like to list it here for sale and then keep what I want to use myself.

Ok, now do I wash and iron it before listing or do I list it with the caveat that it was purchased at yard sale and has not been washed? The seller were "upscale" and actually was a jewelry maker and had really nice things. I haven't brought the fabric inside yet...its in my car as I was undecided what to do.

Would it bother any of you to buy fabric listed like this?
I read a post from somebody who purchased something from a 2nd hand store and carried bedbugs into her house because she did not wash it and put it in the dryer right away. I can't answer your question, but with all the problems that have been talked about in the news about staying in expensive hotels/motels and then bringing them home, I would be careful.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:25 PM

MAGGOTS?! Oh yes, please wash and dry in hot, hot hot!!
Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by Peckish
I would absolutely wash it. There has been such a rash of bed bug outbreaks...

That...and did you see my maggot thread of a bunch of maggots hatching in fabric I bought from an estate sale??

WASH IT!!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 PM

Year ago I interned at a local historical museum and the fabric expert (actually had a degree in that) had us store items with a "no pest m'lady" strip in the box/bag--but not touching the fabric. I don't think they even sell them now,but sure it worked! Old fabrics, especially those that have been starched, do draw bugs and even the cleanest house can be home to hidden bugs--so at the very least, put in hot dryer for about 30-40 minutes before having it in the house. A nurse I worked with has a daughter that does mission trips to 3rd world countries where she says bed bugs, lice, etc are normal for everyone due to hygiene,and she said her daughter would strip down in the garage when she returned and everything would be put into a hot dryer.