Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Ages

I'm 55 & started quilting when I was 12

I'm 67 and I watched my Mom quilt. But I moved away at 17(got Married) and taught myself to quilt about 22 years ago. Not to good at first, but ,We started a quilting guild about 10 years ago in my little town,we moved back too, and we are all helping each other ,learn,and improve everypart of quilting. I have 3 grown, sons.One of my grandaughters,who lives far,far away comes every summer for a couple of weeks,and loves quilts. At first we made a pillow,( she was seven) then we went to quilts and she has make about 4 quilts now, She took to sewing like a duck to water. I have been married 50 years , and he doesn't mind my hobby.

I'm 82 and never met a sewing machine or project I didn't love. Eventually!

Im 44, and my Great Grandmother taught me to quilt when I was 9, thats when we made our first quilt together. It was a Sun Bonnet Sue quilt, and I still have it! I have been saving fabric, and sewing (by hand for many years) since. DH and I have a total of 5 kids ages 12-29, and 9 grands, ages 5 mos-15. Before I moved to marry my DH, he asked me if I really needed all of my fabric & "junk". I wanted to knock his head off, but instead, I said " I guess instead of quilting, I could use my fabric money to go to the bar's".He now fully supports my quilting/fabric stash, and even spent $400 on shelving for my first love!

Am I the oldest on the board? My sewing group has three older than me. 83, 85 and 87 and all going strong.

bjr
    My daughter started quilting at age 30 (with 4 children). She convinced me to attend a quilt retreat with her in March 2002 and I got hooked...started quilting at age 57 and have now been quilting for 8 years.

I am 34 with four children. While it is hard to find the time to quilt, except at night, I love it! I think quilting is not age specific. If you love it, then do it. Don't feel alone!

67 here. Cannot remember a time when I was not sewing/quilting. No offense here, but sounds like hubby is feeling neglected. They do that when we find something that interests us, you know. He should either find a hobby for himself or join you with the quilting

I am pushing 80 in January. Don't let my age get in your way. I've been quilting and sewing for 50 years or longer and haven't quit. Oops, I need to qualify that. The last four weeks I have been looking at a quilt top I have to finish and just can't seem to get to. Partially, it is too big and I don't have the right size table to spread out on and I can no longer roll around on the floor. I still teach at a Seniior Center (not quilting). I've also developed another hobby, Genealogy, which takes a lot of my time. I am actually busier now than I was 40 years ago.

Guess how surgeons learn to tie all those knots? The must tie a piece of quilting using them all. My doctor said so and showed me the quilt he made.

I'm 55, mother of 10 children, 4 children in law, & 5 grandchildren. I started quilting when I was 5.

I'm 74 and began quilting 11 years ago, a late beginner but I'm quilting has taken over a big part of my life between making quilts, buying fabrics, my guild and pillowcase project I'm co-chair of. I love it! Met so many nice people through quilting, mostly from quilting message boards like this.

Have a Circle of Quilters pals that meet annually in Lancaster, PA for the show and a few days of hanging out and buying fabrics. All met through Alex Anderson's old message board. Places like this are great. May in Jersey

I am 59..retired(2 months)...3 children and 4 grandchildren...have been quilting for about 30 years...off and on. I am teaching my 9 year old granddaughter to quilt...it is not the age it is the love of the art.

I am 61, but I did not start quilting until I was in my late 40's. Working 60 hours a week with a husband, 4 children and a dog I had no time for quilting when I was younger. "I was not born quilting but I got here as soon as I could."

38 years old, and a mother of 4 (24yr old step-son, 17, 15 and 9). Been quilting it seems like my entire life - sewing as long as I can remember.

Blog Entries
    I was 14 when I started. That was about 20 years ago

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    My husband said something to me the other day that got me thinking. He was making fun of me spending so much of my time on quilting. He said he thought it was something Grandma's do. lol He told me later that he actually wanted to tell me to find a hobby for my own age. I was kind of hurt at that comment.

But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?
    Tell him quilting is for any age, not just grandmas. How does he thing grandmas get good at quilting if they don't do it when they are younger????? LOL I think you should tell him if he wants you to have a younger hobby, tell him you are now into collecting pretty colored gem stones!

I am in another online group and we have a young lady who started in our group at the age of 13. I think she just had her 15th birthday. And she uses a treadle machine. She collects them. In fact, I think she is the one who told me about this group.

Emily, are you out there?
    Virginia, who is 71, but started sewing at age 4, in my grandmother's lap. It has been a wonderful journey and I don't intend on stopping anytime soon.

It think you should do whatever things make you happy or are relaxing for your personal fun time.
    Virginia

I am 31 with 3 kids under 9. I have been quilting on and off since I was a kid in 4-H. I have now really caught the quilting bug and can not get enough of it. My husband is deployed to Afghanistan and I have made a quilt for every bed in the house since he has been gone :)

Good for you. With all that you are going through, you need an outlet for yourself. Don't know where you get the time or energy with 3 little ones, to do anything extra.

I have a friend who's husband was deployed. She started making pillowcases for some of his fellow troupers. She would send one pillowcase every few weeks and the guys would have a drawing to see which one of them got the pillowcase. It was a big hit and something the guys looked forward to.

Please tell your husband how much we appreciate the sacrifice he is making for all of us.
    Virginia

So what is a hobby for your age group? Since when did age matter if you love something. I am 68 & have just started making quilt tops to quilt, but I have been quilting since I was 8. My mom's "quilting bees" included a couple of aunts, my mom & my grandmother and a few other ladies. my mom was in her 30s. Teach him to quilt, I bet he would love it.

Tweetee, My husband and I really love your avatar. That horse is absolutely gorgeous.My dad owned Tennessee Walkers for years. They were just big old babies and sooooo sweet.Hello fromTexas via Tennessee.Diane

Dee
    You're never too young to sew or quilt. I'm 67, but have sewed since I was 9.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyAire
    I'm 62.
    Here is a link to a post that we did not too long ago about our ages.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-50668-1.htm
    I missed that thread, so gonna tell my age now.
    I turned 70 this year. I never minded turning 50 or 60 but there is somethng about 70 that seems old.

Anyway I have been sewing most of my life. To think that quilting is for grannys is sorta dumb. But then we all know men never get it right. (sorry guys that are in this group) :)

i am 54,recently diagnosed with cancer,a recurrance of the breast cancer i had 5 yrs ago. i'm five projects behind!:) this is what i need to pull me thru.if i had nothing to do,i might just start feeling sorry for myself;by the way i am 60% done with my chemo and feeling great. i have on the books an i spy quilt for my granddaughter who will be 5 at xmas-cut out and started put together-wont be done by then-a bug/butterfly quilt for my grandson-who will be 8 in march;a throw for my bro-in-lay-maybe done by xmas,my own quilt-queen sized-going on the frame any day;and a colonial lady applique for my friends 2 yr old daughter that is almost ready to sew together.i dont work on them everyday-but close.

Not at all!! I started to quilt when I was 30, single mom,(I will turn 55 tomorrow!) my husband thinks I am a dinosaur and the only one left quilting, plus doesn't understand why anyone " would cut up perfectly good material to turn around and sew it back together" just doesn't get it.... I don't expect him to, he's a number cruncher!!! Don't let him bother you, enjoy your gift! My DIL who is 24 loves to quilt and finds it to be a great avenue of release and artist expression.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast