Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Ages

Tell your husband that I began quilting at 23 with two small children. I taught my kids to quilt qhen they were about 9 and 10. He needs an update on quilters quick! Bet he doesn't know that many artists who are men (gasp!!) also use quilting as an art form. Maybe he needs to start... We'd love to see the finished product! ;0}

Blog Entries
    I'm 59 with two children 33 and 20. I have been sewing since I was 10, and done also sorts of crafts like basket weaving, knitting, tole painting, needle point, doll making etc, but I didn't start quilting until a few months ago.....and now I wish I had started years ago. BTW tell hubby MYOB and find a hobby. :mrgreen:

I am 40 and I have a 13 year old daughter. I think your husband needs to find a hobby, one that doesn't include picking on yours. :)

I'm 59 but didn't start quilting till I was 52, now wishing that it would have interested me years ago.

I have 3 adult daughters, none of whom have an interest in quilting right now, hopefully one day .... I would like to be able to leave this earth knowing that my sewing machines and fabric stash will pass on to one or more of them!

It is great that you love quilting now. Your children will benefit from this 'hobby' of yours. I don't even consider it a hobby...it is a 'passion'.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    My husband said something to me the other day that got me thinking. He was making fun of me spending so much of my time on quilting. He said he thought it was something Grandma's do. lol He told me later that he actually wanted to tell me to find a hobby for my own age. I was kind of hurt at that comment.

But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?
    Surely hubby isn't being serious? Have a look at all of the children who appear on this thread. I may be older now, but I was 30 when I started seriously quilting.

I am 56.

I am 63, my mother quilted and as a widow of one year, I need something creative, beautiful,& new to my experience to keep me in a good place. I read in Drs. office today that learning something new at any age keeps you in a more positive frame of mind and I certainly need that. I am excited to see where this can lead me. I also quilted in my youth with my Mom, but marriage family and career squeezed it out for a while. :o)

Blog Entries
    I'm 52 with two children 18 and 13. I made a quilt 22 years ago for my sister, and then didn't make another quilt until last year. My eldest went off to college last year; so, I surprised her with a tee-shirt quilt that she had planned on making, but never got around to. After making that quilt, I made her another quilt for her dorm bed. Well, I discovered quilting to be extremely therapeutic and rewarding. Recently, I found this board while goggling quilting on a vintage treadle machine. I'm glad I did find this site because there are so many wonderful people here!

Quote Originally Posted by bjnicholson
    I'm 68, retired for two yrs and quilting for 4 mo's. Well, actually, researching quilting since June. Today I got 2 quilts from Hancock's for my DGD's. So, I've been a quilter for, oh, about 6 hrs!
    Oh wow! Of all the answers, I have enjoyed yours the most!!!!

51, I have a daughter 20. I bought her a sewing machine just like mine so we could learn to piece quilts together :)

I will be 66 in 24 days - Good Heavens!! How did that happen? I started sewing at age 12 and started quilting at 35 - after my children had moved out. I had more time or so I tell myself.

I am 42, with three kids, 22, almost 21 and 17. Learned to quilt from Ex mother in law when the kids were just little!

I'm 42 with three kids (15,15 and 10) and I have been quilting since 21. Luckily DH knows better than to say something like that!

Blog Entries
    Started in my 30's with 2 young boys; became immersed at 45 after they went to college; now retired and approaching 65 with 8 GC... and not enough time to make all I would like to! Such is life.

Senior Member Quilter Day-by-Day's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    i was 49 when I started teaching myself how to quilt. I'm now 53 and having the best time of my life. I wish I had known how to make a quilt at a much younger age.

Retired and 66. I made my first quilt at 30 to save the poor bedraggled comforter my little daughter pulled all over the house. I didn't really get into it until about 6 years ago, but haven't looked back. I have 3 grown kids and 6 grandkids (9 mo to 20 yrs). Fortunately, my DH is very supportive!

What is a Hobby your age? maybe he's just lonesome and needs to be babied :) IM pushing 66 three kids 5 gkids 6gkids and iv'e only been quilting or trying to for 5 years

I have sewed since I was in junior high and made all of my own and my children's clothes until I started working at age 30. I'm now 53 and have 6 grandkids and another on the way. I just finished my MBA and promised myself I'd do something I love.... back to sewing. The quilting thing is something I just tried and have loved for the past 3 months. Youtube and the library have been my best friends. No hobby has an age limit.

I only started quilting 5 years ago. I will be 70 in NOvember. Oh man, I can't believe I actually said that. Anyway, I not only quilt, and oil paint, but I camp and ride ATVs with my husband any friends. We just got home from a ride today. There were 18 bikes and 15 couples. What a good time we had. Some of the people are in their 80s and the youngest in the 50s.
    Age is only a number.
    I love life, family, friends and God is good.
    Karen

Here we are today. At the top of tower mountain on a helicopter pad.
    Name:  Attachment-105482.jpe
Views: 11
Size:  43.0 KB

I have to profess to being a grandma,. but I started quilting at about your age. There is never a craft that is age specific tell that guy to go find a golf club

I am 63 and feel 21 (somewdays). Only now starting.
    Age does not matter.

31. Only furbabies for me.

Kyia

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    Your husband is a dweeb. Let's bet he also does some things that are "inappropriate for his age." I taught myself to quilt at age 40 and have found a true passion. My husband, truth told, is jealous that I have found something so simple that makes me so happy. Who cares what age? That has nothing to do with it!!!!!

Blog Entries
    My younger Grson took home arts in grade sch & they all made quilts,maybe30x40.He told his mama (our DD) that he wanted to make a quilt for his Grma (me) because "she made one for me".He chose the colors (football fabric LOL),cut the sqs & sewed them together,then birthed the quilt.After tying it,he was the proudest little boy around when he gave it to me,asking "do you like it?"
    Ahhhh......brought tears to my eyes.Have it saved for when he has a little boy.I started in my 40's & that was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by texas granny
    Tell your DH one of my DGD made her first quilt before she started to school. She pick the fabric and made the quilt top.she was only 4 when she started it

I love being busy all the time! There are so many things to learn....from books and people! The talent on this sight I am inspired and amazed everytime I take a look. Hope you all have a great day in what ever floats your boat!

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast