Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Ages

geez, Ive been sewing for as long as I can remember, doing home decor. Got the quilt bug when my sister bought her quilting machine. I have a bad case of it now. IN the 2 years I've been doing it, I have made 8 quilts, but only 1 since I took the class and understand more now. I was just not aware of cutting the square, again to make them even, hahahha, no wonder my sister complained all the time.....She doesnt charge me for the quilting yet, but i do my own quilts on her machine, or leave them for her to do.

oh dang it im 54 now i think....

I'm 62 with two grown children a girl 35 and a boy 39. Two DGD's. I started quilting when I was about 30. Started sewing at age 12. My DDIL said she saw a place for her girls to learn to quilt. I thought that was a wonderful idea, they are 7 and 10. Its never to young to start.

I'm 57, have been quilting for 2 years. I got the bug from my 29 year daughter, who started about 4 years ago and inspired me to start quilting.

Tell you what....i wish i'd taking up quilting at your age! I think quilting is a wonderful hobby, no matter your age! These things takes lots of time, patience, fun and enjoyment and not to mention love that is being put into these projects...so don't worry about that comment he made....im 60 young.. :thumbup: Would he rather you spent your time running to other places ?

Blog Entries
    Quilting for about 22 yrs. Have 5 children, ages 63 to 39, 10 DGC & 15 DGRC. I'm 84 and really don't feel that old. No meds at all and no one believes me. I have at LEAST 16 yrs. to go before I give up and I'm not kidding. LOL

The stock answer to that question is that it's cheaper than therapy. My friend's husband, after the birth of her 5th, told her she needed a new hobby. So she took up quilting.

Good for you Marge L.....keep up that postive attitude lady!

That makes me wonder,what is your husbands hobby? Quilting is an art, and just as any other art, age is of no importance whatsoever.It seems to me he has no imagination. Just be happy to join a world wide guild. Love x

I am 53 but I started quilting 30 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child. I still quilt like a beginner but I love it.

Blog Entries
    I'm 57... but my sweet husband (who is turning 59 today) and I have decided to go to a 10.0 point age scale... Soooo, he's 5.9 today and I just turned 5.7... I didn't start quilting until recently, but I love it! A favorite LQS my quilting buddies and I visit have several "Qwilt Kamps" for kids during the summer... You cannot imagine how wonderful it is to look into the classroom of that shop and see 15 youngsters (boys and girls) quilting away!!
    Maybe your husband needs to take up quilting too!! He'll see it is for the young, the not-so-young, and the young-at-heart...

Quote Originally Posted by Marge L.
    Quilting for about 22 yrs. Have 5 children, ages 63 to 39, 10 DGC & 15 DGRC. I'm 84 and really don't feel that old. No meds at all and no one believes me. I have at LEAST 16 yrs. to go before I give up and I'm not kidding. LOL
    GO Marge!!! I wanna be just like you when I "grow up." :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    My husband said something to me the other day that got me thinking. He was making fun of me spending so much of my time on quilting. He said he thought it was something Grandma's do. lol He told me later that he actually wanted to tell me to find a hobby for my own age. I was kind of hurt at that comment.

But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?

I am very offended by his comment. I am 34 and I quilt. Check out the link to Modern Quilt Guild and let him know that all these quilters are 38 and under and very educated. They all have degrees and a real job by day and quilt at night.

My daughter is 27 with 1 and one on the way. My niece is 29 with 2 little ones . Another niece is 29 with 2 little ones. Another niece is 26, not married yet. I also taught a neighbor that wanted to learn to quilt. She is 2? with her first on the way. They all quilt. It is no longer a grandma hobby.

I'll be 63 in Oct. Started to quilt about 12 years ago

i will be 46 nov 1,
    HUGS Dora

I just turned 63 but my 39 year old daughter (mother of 2)also quilts and has been for 13 years!!

I'm 59 and a great grandmother to one, grandmother to 8 and mother to six..It's only now in my life that I have time and a spare room to start to learn to quilt a whole quilt ..Would have loved to learn all this many years ago..

I haven't been quilting for very long but I am 35 now.

I'm afraid I fit right into your husbands picture of a quilter -- I'm 76. When visiting South Korea, I learned to not be reluctant to tell my age as about the first question one gets there is "How old are you." Your age is what determines how much respect you are shown.

Any way, I digressed. I'm 76 years old and have been quilting about 20 years.

Derla

Blog Entries
    I'm 50 now, but started about 30 years ago. I'd say you're right on target!

I have just started, what I mean is I'm learning as I go, and I'm 60, I can hardly believe I'm that age :D where have the years gone?! I've always sewn and was making tied baby guilts with flannel no frame. Our youngest grandson, age 2, I made him several so made a large quilted changing pad for our house,we watch him every afternoon, decided to try machine quilting. I made a fall tablerunner last week -- it's OK but I have enough to make another top so will try again. Now I've got the first under my belt :lol:

I am 69 . Mother of four,grand mother of 6, great grandmother of 2, I sew, knit, crochet, embroider. I live by myself and I quilt. I even follow quilting courses. My husband told me often that he loved me because I was old-fashioned. He didn't like my mess (sewing room) but he loved what was coming out of it. Have projects, enjoy what you are doing. A quilt is as good as an apple to keep the doctor away.!

I'm 36 and have been quilting for at least the past 15-25 years.

I started quilting at 12, I am now 55. I am teaching my 25 year old daughter who is single and a chef. She is loving it. Someone told her to learn from the best - me - while I was still alive ROLOL!!!! only 55!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 ... LastLast