Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Ages

Blog Entries
    I'm 61 and just began quilting THIS YEAR!!! My 17 yo GD is waiting patiently for me to be ready to do her quilt so she can help. Age is irrelevant.

Started quilting this year, at age 48! Two kiddos, two doggies, two cats, only one husband! :wink:

I'm 41, started quilting at 35, wish i started sooner.

Well I am 53..been quilting 10+ years...my dh encourages it..its cheaper than a shrink but he does love to tease when we go to quilt shows about there only being 5 women under the age of 60 there...I always tell him the younger ones are at work so the retired ones can collect their social security...like the grey beard harley riders..heheheh...we have alot of fun with it....blessings

Blog Entries
    Maybe your hubby is a tad jealous? He doesn't have a cool hobby like you do so he has to say something without thinking about what he said.
    Quilting and sewing is something for all ages, men and women. Some of the most famous designers are men in the cloth world.
    Just turned 52 and started sewing back when I was 11, started getting interested in quilting about 10 years ago when I watched the shows about it on tv.

Back in the day on the Prairie, girls were expected to make their first quilts around the age of 5. What does your husband think is an age-appropriate hobby??

i started quilting when i was still in high school.i had met my boyfriend's great-gm and an g=aunt and they made BEAUTIFUL quilts.that started the bug for me.made a trip round the world totally handmade and hand quilted-took 2 yrs-for my oldest brother when my daughter was 2!it was in a series of cigar boxes.that started the pact-hubby doesnt fuss about the time i spend quilting and idont begrudge him the time he spends with his old tractors.it's worked out well-we just celebrated our 29th anniversary. tell your husband he's crazy-but a cute kind of crazy!:)

I started sewing at 7. I am now 57. Quilting is only one of several sewing crafts I spend time doing. Once a person masters the sewing machine, your options are open.

currently living outside of nashville, tn
    quilting generates Devotion, Insight, and Fun; it develops Patience, a sense of Humor, Generosity, and Math Skills. You're never too young for those things. lol... (although, I should add, at 59, I'm that old grandma he's referring to - started when I was 49, which seems pretty Young to me now! :-) )

Yup, my friends think I'm also crazy when I first started quilt at the age of 25. Now that they have kids, they come back and ask if I could make them one. Lol..

I'm now 39! I don't make a lot of quilt, only 1-3 a year. And that's enough to make a happy person!

I started quilting at the ripe old age of 40 - I am retired now and glad I started then. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    I am 72 and started quilting in the late 1990's. So we either start young, or in the middle or late. I would think it wouldn't matter. We have one son, three grandchildren and a dog and if you count the fur grandchildren, we have four cats, three dogs, one castrated donkey, named Dexter, seven goats and God knows how many chickens!!!!! They belong to our son and his family!!!!!!! I am on my 24th quilt. It is a hobby, it is a part of us and I love it! And if I can do some good with my hobby, so much the better. The cancer quilt I made this year, I just found out made over $1,700 with it being raffled off. I am very proud of that! The one I made last year made over $1,500 and it was up for raffle a month longer. My husband wanted to win it because he really liked it. When I finish the one I am working on now, I will make him one! Edie

I'm 62 but I started quilting when I was around 30 amd have no plans to stop anytime soon. I'm married with 2 children ages 28 and 30.

I am 71 ----HOWEVER I started quilting when I was 26 -mostly to keep my sanity while I had 3 little ones. I started teaching quilting when I was 36 --and still teach classes. Point out that when you have your kids a bit older you can make some $$ with your quilting skills. After the kids grew up I wrote my first book when I was in my late 50's and have now had 4 published. Have taught at Paducah and Nashville. So tell him its NOT an old lady thing to do. Lots of opportunity out here in the quilt world. You can design and publish patterns, teach etc. I guess I was lucky to have a husband who really understood my need to create. Besides there are guys who make their living doing what we do. Ricky Timms, John Flynn and Michael James come to mind. Quilting is not an "old lady" thing, our quilt group has members from 16 up to 89.
    Really just though of something--you very well could be a grandmother. I became a grandmother at age 39, so hey, your right on schedule--grin Keep on stitching and enjoy the process.

I recently turned 47 and am a mother of three boys, one 19 and two 13year olds they are a blast and life is never boring at our house!

I started quilting at age 70 and love it. Made quilts for all 5 grandsons (queensize) machine piecing and hand quilting all on a Grace frame. Now I am trying to teach myself to machine quilt on my Janome and am struggling, but I am determined to master that part. Never too old or too young to learn something worthwhile. I look at my fabrics and KNOW I will never finish all I want to do in this lifetime. Oh well, I just love planning, touching the fabric and imagining where I could use them.

I am a 56 yr old gramma-but I made my 1st quilt when I was 18-got hooked right away

Its at this age you make the best memories for children and grandchildren . It is a relaxing hobby with long term memories that can be touched and felt for generations

Blog Entries
    Don't know how I missed this thread in the beginning. I am 69 and I don't know how long I've been quilting. I guess I must have started when my oldest grandson was a baby. So that would be 19 years. I have 4 grown children and 6 grandchildren, 3 boys & 3 girls. Two of my kids asked for my cuddly fleece throws, so I guess that is when I decided to combine flannel squares into the backing for the fleece, and hand tie it. I guess that is the definition of a quilt. The serious stuff has just been the last couple years. I have been a widow for 13 years; nobody to answer to when I overspend.

Thank goodness there is not a pill or treatment for our beloved addiction!

59 been quilting since I was about 20. Mother to 4 furkids.

Blog Entries
    I'm 70 and started sewing at age 8. Didn't start wanting to quilt until about 10 years ago. I wish I'd started much younger when I had better eyesight. When I was in my 30's, I had four children, 3 girls and 1 boy and sewed for myself and my daughters and my two sisters. My mom quilted and was sooo happy when I got interested in it. She told my sister that I was such a good seamstress she was glad I'd finally found quilting. The thing is, you can be any age and quilt for a hobby, etc. It's not a "grandmother" thing. It's a craft. Maybe hubby should find a hobby.

I only started quilting about a year ago, I just turned 60 two days ago. My husband said a similar thing - he doesn't tell anyone I am quilting because that is something "old ladies do". I told him to say I do "fabric art" and when they ask what that is he will have do tell them "quilting". Don't get me wrong, he thinks the wall hanging and two quilt tops I have made so far are "amazing" . It has given me something to do while he is on the computer and we have the TV on but not really watching it. I wish I had started years ago but I was working and had other outside interests that kept me busy.

Blog Entries
    Just turned 54, but started quilting in my late 20's. I made my first small quilts for my children. One DD has quilted and my 2 DGD {started at ages 4 and 9}quilt also. The youngest {2 yrs} plays with fabric and pushes the start button while sitting on my lap. She also 'helps' guide the fabric.

I am 36 and have 2 children ages 5 and 3. I have been sewing forever, but just picked up the quilting bug recently. My 5 yo daughter just asked for her own sewing machine so she can sew with me...will take her up on that for sure!

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast