Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ages

I started to quilt 10 years ago but didn't quilt as much as I do now. I am 46 and have 1 adopted son 6 yrs old. My DH also believes my hobby is for the elderly but I cannot help myself of loving quilting.
    I agree he needs a hobby and focus on himself instead of looking into what I am doing. I also do the laundry and keep up with the cleaning!
    I love our forum!

I'm 45 and have 2 children of my own (20 & 14) and 4 stepchildren who are grown and married and have blessed us with a total of 9 grandchildren. So MommaDorian I'm only 7 years older than you and I guess grandmas do quilt!

Quote Originally Posted by fish92241
    I'm 80 (81 next month) and I've been sewing and quilting since my 20s. My sister is 90 and still quilting all the time. She goes to her quilt guild every week. (We are a long-lived family. Most live into their nineties.)
    Way to go!!! God Bless you both!

Blog Entries
    I'm single greatgrandma and i'm only 57

Just turned 41 yesterday and mother of 2, ages 16 & 19. :)

I'm will be 71 next birthday. Over the hill and going back up! LOL

I started quilting in my early 20's. I am now 59.

55, mother of two grown adult kids, been slowly quilting the last 5 years or so. I forget! Lol
    Good thing my DH didn't say that to me.

I'm 58 this year, and just started quilting about 5 months ago. I have 2 sons 30 and 27, no grandchildren yet but can't wait! I've been a life long crafter and sewer. Made all my clothes in my late 20's and early 30's. Hadn't touched a sewing machine in years until earlier this year. Quilting was the next step for me, and I love it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Annaquilts
    I am 46 years old and have 14 children, ages 23 to 5 yrs old. I started quilting at about 38 and it had nothing to do with age. I am also a red belt in tae kwon do, two belts away from becoming a black belt, which I fully intent to make irregardless of age. LOL I do think some of us have more time for quilting as we be come empty nesters and retire.

I also second that many very young people, both male and female, are learning to quilt. My youngest one was 3 and she still quilts at thirteen.
    You have fourteen children?? Oops, i just now read your response with regard to your children.

I am either 54 or 13.5 depending on who you talk to. My kids (28 & 29) like the 13.5 better because they have been joking for years that they are older than their mom. (in case you haven't figured it out I am a leap year baby and only age every 4 years so I will never get old)I started quilting 16 years ago and have loved every minute of it. I have 3 grandsons and the six year old likes to help pick out fabrics and help me with the foot on the sewing machine. I would never tell him that he is in the way because he likes to help me. It just means we sew really slowly when he helps out. He wants to make his own quilt now.

46 and mother of 2, son 9, daughter 4,(who started pre-k )and she likes to pick her fabric out.I have been quilting almost 5 yrs.

Blog Entries
    medically retired and 53.
    thats what alot of people thought about me too..it was an old ladies hobby...lol! plus i was a steelworker/i do welding, rode a motorcycle, had a pool team that travels..nothing girly about me..i think that was what shocked them the most!

and i will admit, the group i go to quilting with are all older than me! BUT i pick up "strays" in the fabric shops..to meet with us..young people that want to learn!

I am 45 and just started quilting earlier this year and I LOVE IT! I first learned to sew when I was probably 7 or 8. I made clothes for my Barbies. Later I sewed clothes and remember one summer, when I was around 19, my mother supplied all the fabrics and I made both of us several shorts and tops sets. I wish I had started quilting when I was younger before my Grannie passed away. She taught me to crochet when I was young. She also quilted and would have loved to teach me this wonderful hobby as well.

I have two sons, ages 24 and 22. My 22 yo just recently got engaged and will be getting married in April. I am thrilled that I can make them a quilt for a wedding gift. I am also going to make a signature quilt for the reception. I also decorate cakes, so I will be making the wedding cake and the grooms cake. Oh, yeah! I also do decorative painting, but I don't have anything planned using that hobby.

I don't think that we should choose our hobbies based on our ages, but we should choose them based on our interests.

Blog Entries
    I am 42 and only started quilting three years ago. I have an almost 4 year old. He is the reason I started quilting, I think, I can't remember hahaha. I wanted to quilt his receiving blankets. So my first quilt was all his receiving blankets done as a rag quilt.

I absolutely love quilting. I am too an addict. I joined my first club...Joe's Little Women Club. I was so excited about it that I called my mom and she said, "You are officially old". hahahaha I don't care. This is one hobby that really love to do.

27, three kids, 6, 3, 1.5. Been quilting for four years!

I am 45, and I also like a lot of "old lady" things. I love to crochet and embroidery, and I have hand-embroidered since I was 8 years old. Maybe I started being "old" when I was very young. By the way, age is just s state of mind. Tell your husband that, and then stick out your tongue! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    My husband said something to me the other day that got me thinking. He was making fun of me spending so much of my time on quilting. He said he thought it was something Grandma's do. lol He told me later that he actually wanted to tell me to find a hobby for my own age. I was kind of hurt at that comment.

But, back to my question...how old are we all? I'm willing to bet I'm not the only 38 year old mother of 3 children under the age of 12, eh?
    I'll be 30 in December and my 2 girls are 11 and 2 :) My mother-in-law tells me she wishes she started quilting at a much younger age then she did, and that she's happy I have picked it up while I'm still young, more legacy to leave behind!

I am 52 .. starting sewing as soon as I could reach the knee control and the presser foot. Mom had an expression ..."make it or go naked". I made my first real quilt at 18.
    My Mom also had another expression or more like words of wisdom..."if you learn to sew , you will never be bored". At the time I just did not get it, but now .. I have lived the meaning in those words.

I'm a 42 year old mother of a 2 year old. Been quilting for years and years. I don't think quilting is for "old people", but maybe for "old souls". ??

Quote Originally Posted by dojo36
    well, let's see who is the oldest and still going strong quilting.
    i'll be 74 in december, i still work 4 days a week as a barber, do long arm quilting for the public and still find some time to do my own things.
    donna
    My Mum has only just stopped quilting and she is 96yrs, she is still knitting for us all though.

I am 27 and have a toddler, and I just started quilting this year. I did make an unfortunate "quilt" for my mom 2 years ago for Christmas, but I didn't even know enough to actually quilt it so it's a mess. She loves it though and is getting a real replacement soon!

My husband is actually really excited that I can make stuff and likes to show it off, but most of our friends and family are the same as your husband and think I'm nuts.

I'm 2* with a few years left until I hit the big 3-0. :lol: I have two little girls and I've been quilting for a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDorian
    I am 46 years old and have 14 children, ages 23 to 5 yrs old. I started quilting at about 38 and it had nothing to do with age. I am also a red belt in tae kwon do, two belts away from becoming a black belt, which I fully intent to make irregardless of age. LOL I do think some of us have more time for quilting as we be come empty nesters and retire.
    You go girl!!! Did you adopt any of your children? Or are they all biological? Sorry if I'm being too nosey.
    We are used to people asking. Five of our children are biological. Growing a family both by birth and adoption is a wonderful blessing. My youngest two are in the avatar picture.
    That is awesome! We want(ed) a larger family, but each pregnancy is getting harder and harder on my body which worries DH and my family so we will probably look to adoption once we get settled with the new little one. I might PM you with some questions, if that's ok??

I am 26 with a 3 year old, a 17 month old, and one on the way in April. DH likes that I have found something I enjoy - I think he was feeling guilty about his fishing obsession, um, I mean, hobby :wink:

I forgot to add that I made my first quilt about 11 years ago, but just recently got back into it about a year and a half ago.

I'm 26, I have two children - 5yo and 5mo. I got my first sewing machine about three years ago and did small projects, baby blankets and some clothing. I started my first pieced quilt about a month ago, finished in three weeks. Did a second (with my 5yo) in the last couple of weeks and have just started a third. AND have a fourth planned.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast